What's new

Best/Worst soaps for cold water shave?

Hello, I did a search on this topic and after a quick glance decided that this exact question had not been previously asked.

To those of you who have decided that a cold water shave is do-able, is there a certain soap that has performed better than others, with cold water? is there a worst?

The soaps I have available are, Tabac,MWF, Cade, ToBs (Lavender and Sandlewood), VdH, Williams, E&J, C&E (Nomad), Conks.

Any obvious winners in that crowd? Losers?

Thank you for your time.

All the soaps I have used seem to lather a little better with warm (not hot) water, than they do with cold. The difference is not significant, however. When I cold water shave, I just use whatever soap I prefer at the time. I do not decide based upon the water temperature.

Best: Tabac, Haslinger Aloe & Klar Seifen are my only soaps.
I've used Palmolive, Arko, and VDH Deluxe & Luxury and though they perform well, the others are slicker & lather better with cooler water.

Worst: any Goats Milk Soap

I have tried the following soaps
cella,tabac,qed,vdh ...these happen to be all the soaps i have at the moment..
try palm lathering....
what has worked for me is..intermittently i will sqeeze on the bristles to bring out the foam and then continue lathering..
i do this a few times..and inside of a minute at the most i have great lather..works for all the soaps i have tired so far..
and i have switched to cold water shaving as well...

Winter is warm water + scuttle. Summer is cold water + bowl.

Same soaps, different seasons.

I do enjoy the menthol and eucalyptus scents in the summer more than in the winter but that is a personal preference to the scent not the soap.

Tabac lathered like itsnwonderfulmself yesterday on my cold water shave, so did VdH Deluxe. Arko is another that doesn't need warm water to make great lather. I also soak my brush in cold water as well.

Of the soaps you listed, I have used Tabac, MWF, VdH, Williams, C&E (Nomad) and Conks. They all lather fine for me and I cold water shave everyday. Give it a shot, YMMV.

I always use cold water for shaving...maybe if it's freezing in the house i might let it run for a bit to get warm, but that's rare. I never have any problems lathering with any good soap. Hot water might make loading the brush slightly easier but i doubt it would have any effect on the lathering. If it did, I'd suspect hot water would make lather worse as it'd be more likely to break down.

So I don't think water temperature has any significant effect on soap latherability...

Not a cold water shaver, but my water heater went out in Novemeber. Still had to shave, so it was in cold water for 2 days. Used Creed Green Irish Tweed soap and it worked just fine.

Tallow based soaps seem to do very well in cold water. I, however, prefer a warm lather and a cold rinse, with menthol and eucalyptus, whenever possible.

Top Bottom