What's new

Inigo Jones Dragon Tongue - Good Enough?

For today's experiment...I figured that I would shave directly off of my Inigo Jones Dragon Tongue. After doing a good number of laps with water only and then going to leather; I gave it a shot. I understand that the DT is only supposed to be somewhere from 7k to 10k...no clue what mine actually is; but I got an amazing shave off of it today.

Shave was sharp and just a bit "mellow" if that makes any sense. No tugging, no harshness - 3 passes for a BBS or near BBS shave. I have to say, if this was as good as it could ever get - it's certainly acceptable - but I have no intention on stopping with just this. :)

The tools used were my Rolls Razor (Sheffield blade in those) along with AOS Lavender.

Anyone else have experience shaving directly from the Dragon Tongue?

Yeah...maybe mine is just a fluke; but it shaves surprisingly well. I know that you can shave off of an 8k stone...so it seems to make sense that shaving off of a 10k (some say the DT is somewhere between 7k to 10k) should come as no surprise. The smoothness however was not expected, but the Inigo Jones DT delivers. In any event, I will be comparing it to my Jnat and Silkstone this weekend and report what happens. I have a Surgical Black Arkansas stone that is off for lapping...will compare that one as well when it comes back.

I like this stone. I like to start with a slight slurry and dilute down. I like the way the blade feels on the stone and love the results. Nice, smooth shave.

Rick - what are you using for a slurry stone. I have just been using it with water and no slurry.

Actually - I can't shave (well) off an 8k stone so it came as no surprise that the DT didn't do much for me as a finisher.

I'm liking my Inigo Jones DT off a 1k/3k Suehiro combo (been playing around with water-stones for a change). It's a hard stone, so I find it hard to generate a true slurry with the companion rubbing stone; rather, it gives a strange, saliva-like consistency to the water. Followed by my recent hand-held Thuri acquisition(s), it seems to do the mid-range trick for decent price. A coticule seems to work well off it as well, which may not represent a true progression. In any case, an under-appreciated natural water-stone IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom