What's new

Franks Shaving Brushes...opinions?

I've been looking at getting a new brush...I really don't know that much about brushes. Anyway, I stumbled upon Franks Shaving Brushes, I think they are made/sold from China and they seller sells them from eBay (reason for no link). Just wanting to know your opinions. Does anyone use his brushes? They seem like a steal, and I had a friend that bought one and loves it. Any thoughts?

I have two Franks, both the same brush. I have the silvertip with the black handle. My first real brush purchase. I like the brush and have nothing negative to say about them. It was a steal. I also have a boar brush and this silvertip seems so nice and soft.

Recalling a recent conversation, I believe the price of these brushes has nearly doubled over the last year, and they now cost around $40. At that price range, it seemed most felt there were vastly superior choices to be had.

Recalling a recent conversation, I believe the price of these brushes has nearly doubled over the last year, and they now cost around $40. At that price range, it seemed most felt there were vastly superior choices to be had.
+1, I bought a turnback for traveling about a year or so ago. I like he brush, but at the new prices I would buy a new Semogue.

We have had some threads running about the price increases and some of the quality issues. They are now coming in line with the better brush makers in pricing levels but not in overall quality levels.

I have endorsed the FS Synthetics in the past and have enjoyed mine immensely, but as of late they have had some issues being mentioned from some members with knots being tilted and alike.

I have a shorter loft one approx 45mm with best badger don't get the silvertip too floppy. I think its still around $20. This one is a pretty good value still I think. I is still not too floppy and scritch is a minimum. There auctions are BIN so its ok to link. This is one I have a good value still some others might be too much now but I am satisfied with this brush.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-Shape-F...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f062cc461#ht_1031wt_1163
Depends on what you are looking for in a brush. If you are looking for inexpensive with some scritch I like the Vie-long and bestshave.net (cheap as can be) horsehair.

Frank Brushes are going from about $23-$52 depending on model and knot.

A turnback model I bought for about $25 around a year ago (nice brush by the way) in finest is now priced at between $29 to $50+about $8 shipping. Hardly a value at $50; both are listed as Finest. No idea what the difference of $25 could be.

Once upon a time Ian had a great deal going, now I'm thinking for a couple extra dollars I can find a nice Omega, Semogue, or Even a lower end Simpson or Vulfix on my shelf.
Lest we not forget the exceptional horsehair Vie Long brushes which are a superb product and excellent value.

A Semogue 1305 or 1800 is about $15 USD.
The nice Semogue acrylic handle models about $17-$22

A Vulfix in Super (really nice knot) can be bought for around $45

Simpsons (yeah, a REAL Simpson) is yours for about $55 and up

Omegas are a excellent brush. A turnback boar brush is about $14
Their Synthetic Badgers (NOT Syntex) I will put up against ANY pure badger as superior. It is as good or better as some of my Finest badger and not a whole lot behind my silvertip...Synthetics are about $30-$40.

It's a shame FS raised prices in such a dramatic fashion, but business is business I suppose. I hope Ian gets his QC issues under control, he does know how to make a decent brush..................they're just not the huge bargain they used to be.

Last edited:
Here are my only 2 brushes. One on the left is too scratchy, one on the right is soft but doesn't seem to hold much cream...what should I be looking for within a $65 price range. BTW I posted this in the main Shaving Brushes as well.

$photo.jpg

Here are my only 2 brushes. One on the left is too scratchy, one on the right is soft but doesn't seem to hold much cream...what should I be looking for within a $65 price range. BTW I posted this in the main Shaving Brushes as well.

View attachment 246964

The $14 Omega turnback brush is quite a deal...but if you are not a boar fan, it is no deal at all.
If you have the means..pick up a Simpson Colonel X2L, They are about $65 or so and it is one of the best all around badger brushes you will ever put on your face. It becomes an instant travel brush when you visit your local pharmacy and acquire a prescription bottle from the druggist. Ask for a size "60D" it will fit just about any brush you own. Drill a couple holes in the bottom (I used a 1/2" hole saw to drill out the center of the bottom and put a few1/16" holes around it for good measure) and you now have a travel case.

Also consider the Omega Synthetic Badgers. Unbelievably soft, plenty of backbone to face lather, superb finish, and...they dry really quickly, a good thing when travelling.

$brushes9a.JPG

PS....every one of these brushes (except for the Turkish #1 on the far right) fit in the D60 size prescription bottle

The $14 Omega turnback brush is quite a deal...but if you are not a boar fan, it is no deal at all.
If you have the means..pick up a Simpson Colonel X2L, They are about $65 or so and it is one of the best all around badger brushes you will ever put on your face. It becomes an instant travel brush when you visit your local pharmacy and acquire a prescription bottle from the druggist. Ask for a size "60D" it will fit just about any brush you own. Drill a couple holes in the bottom (I used a 1/2" hole saw to drill out the center of the bottom and put a few1/16" holes around it for good measure) and you now have a travel case.

Also consider the Omega Synthetic Badgers. Unbelievably soft, plenty of backbone to face lather, superb finish, and...they dry really quickly, a good thing when travelling.

+1 on the Colonel. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...onel-vs-Valobra-RR-Chianti-Erasmic?highlight=
It really is worth it.

I have two brushes from Frank's Shaving; a turnback in Finest ($22) and a fan shaped silvertip with their "Richmond" handle ($37)

Both brushes were delivered within 8d, they have not shed and in my opinion represent an excellent value. The Finest hair has backbone without being prickly (like pure badger) and the silvertip is very soft, but still able to load triple milled soaps without an issue

If you are expecting the same knot density as a Simpson, Thater or shavemac - you will be disappointed. If your expectations are a decent inexpensive brush that lets you try a finest, silvertip, bulb knot, fan knot or different handle style with a minimal investment - you will be pleased.

I have no complaints and would not hesitate to order again from them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I really like them, especially his big silvertips. His prices went up dramatically a couple months ago, and before then they were an incredible bargain. They aren't works of art... molded handles, not turned. Plastic, not horn or siberian musk ox kneecap bone or mammoth ivory or exotic woods. No mother of pearl or pre-ban ivory inlays. Just a good everyday brush that lathers beautifully, for a still pretty decent price.

I will say this, though. If he keep raising his prices, the domestic and European makers will start taking his business away from him. There comes a point where the difference in price between handcrafted workmanship plus fine materials, versus plain massproduced, is low enough that you may as well go the few extra bucks for a showpiece. Ian was capturing a large market by providing functionally excellent brushes for third world prices, and now the price thingie is getting out of the zone.

For now, though, I still have to give them an enthusiastic "BUY" rating. Unless you are using really expensive soaps, go with a bigger brush. (maybe a smaller one for travel though) If you like a strong exfoliating action, or your budget is really limited, go with a black or pure. The black, especially, will be a little on the scrubby side. A best is a little softer. A 28mm silvertip is a very luxurious brush and it would be dreadfully expensive coming from more prestigious makers, but is still delightfully affordable with the "FS" brand on it.

What other brushes have you owned or used?

Top Bottom