What's new

Franks Shaving Brushes...opinions?

From delighted to disappointed, a story in three acts by Nosedog.

My first brush was a crappy supermarket brush that fell to pieces in weeks. During that time I ordered a Frank's Shaving brush (best badger, I think) and was delighted with it. The original brush went into the bin. Then I bought a Semogue boar and rotated between the FS and the Smoggy for quite a while.

Then I bought a Simpsons, and have since had no desire whatsoever to use the FS brush ever again. That was probably nine months ago. The one time I did use it (travel?), I was just as disappointed as I expected to be. The Smoggy gets very occasional use (travel, and when I want the boar stiffness for some reason).

Seriously, if you want to really enjoy using a shaving brush every day or so, you owe it to yourself to buy something better than a Frank's Shaving brush. If not immediately, then eventually.

At current pricing FS brushes are a fair deal. A couple of years ago they were a fantastic deal. I enjoy mine, but they won't be confused for Simpson or M&F etc. Best, Bradley

Thanks for your help...I just picked up the Omega 31064 boar brush for $12 shipped from a B/S/T listing...any thoughts on that one?

Similar in size (knots look pretty close) I'm thinking you will like it...be aware it'll take some time to break in. Like weeks.

If you have something to say about the brush, please feel free. If not, keep it to yourself. Leave the politics out of this and any other thread.

i bought a silvertip brush from Franks and it is awesome for under 50 bucks delivered.
I have been using it for about two months and it has lost maybe 2 hairs and that was at the beginning.
The only quirck is that the FS logo on the handle rubbed off from the first day.
So now it is half showing like a smudge.
But for the price that doesn't bother me at all.

i bought a silvertip brush from Franks and it is awesome for under 50 bucks delivered.
I have been using it for about two months and it has lost maybe 2 hairs and that was at the beginning.
The only quirck is that the FS logo on the handle rubbed off from the first day.
So now it is half showing like a smudge.
But for the price that doesn't bother me at all.

What other silvertips do you have to compare it to? Not shedding is not the litmus test for a good brush. Not being a shedder is kind of a minimum level of the bar for me. Just based on the mechanics of a dense brush, you are going to have some hairs shed early on. Sometimes the combing does not get all the loose hairs,etc...

I am relatively new to wet shaving so this is the only silvertip i have.
I am comparing it to my best,pure,finest and boar brushes from edwin jagger.

Top Bottom