What's new

Shaving cut won't stop bleeding

Okay, so I cut myself on the chin this morning. Usually I can stop it with a dab of deoderant but this one has been bleeding like a member of the Russian Royal Family all day. I've had to resort to putting a band aid on for now (thank goodness I didn't have to go out anywhere today) but what is your favourite measure to stop the gore?

I'm still using the El Cheapo razor from the chemist but have dropped large hints that I would like a Rooney DE for my birthday next month. Is that a good choice? I think I'll add an alum block to my wish list too.

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/rooney-shaving-double-edge-safety-razor.php

Whenever I have the bad fortune to cut myself (which is very rare these days) I break out my styptic pencil. They should be found in just about every drug store (chemists, for you across the pond), and very cheaply at that. I believe that I paid about $1 for my Clubman styptic, but I'm sure you can find one cheap enough locally.

If a pencil format is not to your liking, the same product comes in liquid ("My Nik Is Sealed" brand in the US, I think), powder, or even styptic "matches" which look like a matchbook with each matchhead covered in styptic material--nice for single application use.

Stop in to your local pharmacy and pick up a styptic pencil. One will cost you around 1 £

These are a necessity in everyone's shave den

We all cut ourselves no matter how much we deny that we do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihemorrhagic

proxy.php

My favorite styptic is one called My Nik Is Sealed. It's a little rollerball. I'm learning straight razor shaving so have had a few occasions to verify that it works... :)

Direct pressure for a 60 count is first. Powdered alum on a cotton swab is my second try. Vaseline glob is #3, nice and thick. If when I clean my face up from the grease after about 30 minutes it is still bleeding I don't know what I would do, band aid I guess...never had to go this far.

Phil

Top Bottom