What's new

Just in Case You Weren't Paranoid Enough - Essay about Brown Widows and their Range

Heh the skeeters around here are as big as hummingbirds.Then we poisonous snakes,spiders,wasps,many bees,fire ants,and lets not forget the gators and thats just in the backyard. :lol:

AH, living in NY has its benefits. Been a report or two of brown recluse bites, but doesnt seem as populated up here.

Brown recluse does not exist in NY. It is southern/midwest.
Some related species live in the western deserts, but generally are not found around inhabited areas.

Most BR bite reports from outside of the indigenous area are not spider bites at all. They are most often MRSA infections, and in some cases, even syphilitic lesions.

Brown recluse does not exist in NY. It is southern/midwest.
Some related species live in the western deserts, but generally are not found around inhabited areas.

Most BR bite reports from outside of the indigenous area are not spider bites at all. They are most often MRSA infections, and in some cases, even syphilitic lesions.

Yep :001_cool: I'm glad someone else realizes that. What's disturbing to me is that it's physicians themselves that often make the BR bite diagnosis when they have nothing more to go on than a small skin lesion.

One more reason to check your shoes before you put them on. We have our fair share of brown recluses around here and other assorted medium sized spiders.

To this day I still laugh about the fact that there are no poisonous snakes in Delaware. I've seen my fair share of water moccasins and have heard reports of the occasional copper head. And then we have an actual factual cougar or two (not just the urban variety) on the prowl and coyotes now.

It seems like critters of all sorts are popping up in unusual places. Reason number 29 why if it ain't a cat, dog, or goldfish, it probably shouldn't be a pet. How do you think Lum's Pond got its resident alligator?

Pretty soon, you can have your own personal back yard safari!

I grew up in Arkansas and we just dust the door siles and garage door lip with Sevin Dust. It keeps everything out of the house.

Top Bottom