What's new

Recommended setting for a Gillette slim for first shave?

haha i started with mine on a 9 and it went fine. in the instructions that come with it..it says "start with 3 and work your way up" 1 to 3 is mild, 4 to 6 is medium, and 7 to 9 is aggressive.

UPDATE, over two months later:

I started on 3, moved up to 5, then 7 and finally to 9 within the space of a week and a half.

I can shave at 9 for all three passes now, but while the audio feedback increases with the higher settings, I find that the potential for bloodshed increases after a setting of 6 and I don't think I'll be using it much above 6 unless I have multiple days growth, in that case my WTG pass will be done at 9 for efficiency's sake.

Edit: girlfriend shaves her legs with the razor set to 2, she's never cut herself that I know of.

Started on 3 and moved to 4 with a Gillette 7'O Clock yellow. The 4 setting provided a nice close shave with no irritation.

Thanks Turtle. Had no idea Lord L6 is that aggressive. Maybe that's why I get more irritation when shaving with Slim - I set it too mild.

Blade gap only is not a measure of agressiveness.

For me the L6 is very different and in my hands it's about as mild as the slim in 3 (but more effective for WTG passes)

Top Bottom