What's new

Newbie from Florida

I have purchased my first shave soap and silver tip badger brush to get into new shaving techniques. I'm getting great lather using TOBS Sandalwood in the wooden bowl and the smell is just awesome. I lather in a bowl, then with circular motions on the face for about 30 seconds, then paint a thicker layer as if I were using a paint brush on the face. My question had to do with the product itself. Is there a way to get a silkier, softer shave with this soap. It seams as when I'm shaving the shave soap isn't lubricating the face as much as when I was using the goo from a can (gillette gel).

First, I have never used TOBS soaps. I hear good things about them, but I have enough :lol: right now to keep me going. Soaps are a lot of trial and error. Water amounts, water quality, amount of soap actually on the brush, etc. Personally I started off with a bowl because of the irritation on my face with the brush I started off with. Since then I have gotten a new brush with silvertip (Rooney 3/1) and now face lather. I my lather when I face lather isn't nearly as thick as when I bowl lather, but it is way slicker. Just keep trying different things if you stick with bowl lathering, more or less water, loading your brush longer/shorter. One thing I liked to do if I noticed the lather too dry is dipping the the tips of the brush in the water and going back over the soap.

Oh! and Welcome to B&B!

Hello Ryan, Welcome to B&B!

You could try slowly adding more water to the bowl as you whip your lather until it reaches the desired consistency. Remember to start with just a few drops, a teaspoonful if you will.

Welcome Ryan.

Congrats on making the switch. You should be able to get the lather you're looking for by experimenting with how much water you add, like Oblique Human said in the post above.

Welcome to B&B, Ryan, from a fellow Floridian from the Tampa Bay area. As said above, it's a question of water. One good resource for you to review on B&B is the wiki on lathers. It will get you in the right direction.

Congrats on the switch and welcome! As stated above, adding more water will be the key. A way to experiment that I recommend is to practice making lather in your hand. You slowly add water to get to where you want and your able to feel how slick it is while doing so.

Have fun and enjoy your shaves.

I have purchased my first shave soap and silver tip badger brush to get into new shaving techniques. I'm getting great lather using TOBS Sandalwood in the wooden bowl and the smell is just awesome. I lather in a bowl, then with circular motions on the face for about 30 seconds, then paint a thicker layer as if I were using a paint brush on the face. My question had to do with the product itself. Is there a way to get a silkier, softer shave with this soap. It seams as when I'm shaving the shave soap isn't lubricating the face as much as when I was using the goo from a can (gillette gel).

~~~Ryan, Try face lathering...you can play around with the product/water ratio right on your face...just swirl the brush on the soap longer (more revolutions) for more product or, dunk the tips of the brush a bit in your sink water to get the lather wetter. I also want to add, from what you are saying about not getting enough lubrication...you aren't getting enough product on your brush, so work the brush on top of your puck longer, AKA loading...try loading longer

I face lather 95% (approx.) of the time. I have a scuttle and use it once in a great while...then usually in the winter months. FWIW, I shave using straight razors (that's where the hobby has taken me) and AFAIC it's imperative that I get a good lubricating lather & I've found face lathering does the best job or me. I use glycerin and tallow based soaps. Both work fine for me and the only soaps I have a problem with are some that have essential oils added to them. Not all essential oil based soaps are problematic for me but Trumpers Rose burned me good for example

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Hey Ryan: Welcome 2 B&B from another Floridian. Enjoy this incredible forum and your safety razor journey.

WARHAWK

Top Bottom