What's new

For those with some facial hair

More questions, but this one from a "hair science " perspective.

I have a goatee, since it was once suggested and everyone has since told me it looks good. But I've noticed that it grows in very faintly. The moustache hairs in particular are very fair, to the point that they're almost clear. In addition, there is almost no connection between the top and bottom around the sides of the mouth.

So, can I do something to improve the quality of this goatee hair, or is it something I'm forced to surrender to genetics? (For reference, I'm nearly 24)

I have a goatee, since it was once suggested and everyone has since told me it looks good. But I've noticed that it grows in very faintly. The moustache hairs in particular are very fair, to the point that they're almost clear. In addition, there is almost no connection between the top and bottom around the sides of the mouth.

So, can I do something to improve the quality of this goatee hair, or is it something I'm forced to surrender to genetics? (For reference, I'm nearly 24)

For what it's worth, my roommate who is 21 is the hairiest guy I know, he's still wearing a sweater when he takes his shirt off, has had a coarse beard since I've known him (since he was 17), and his 'stache doesn't connect at the corners, either. I'd guess you're forced to surrender to genetics. More to shave. :thumbup:

If it hasn't grown out yet, you are probably out of luck and need to bow down to the power of genetics...I have the same problem, my stach doesn't connect with the rest of my goatee, oh well :sad:

I have no recommendation, but am really struck by the similarity of your story with mine. Someone recommended it, many others have complimented it, so I keep it. However, the hair on my chin is jet black and on my lip it is white, with a few black sprinkled in. I don't grow it goatee style however. I keep the separated as two different pieces.

For what it's worth, my roommate who is 21 is the hairiest guy I know, he's still wearing a sweater when he takes his shirt off, has had a coarse beard since I've known him (since he was 17), and his 'stache doesn't connect at the corners, either. I'd guess you're forced to surrender to genetics. More to shave. :thumbup:

I can relate to this however eventually these corners finally blosomed in my case maybe they will too for you. I found that consistent trimming of my beard really seemed to help for some reason. It has thickened the hair exponentionally.

Honestly, I think it depends on the person. Some guys have their growth patterns pretty much set in stone in their early to mid twenties. Some guys never get the connection between the stache and the goat. (look at Johnny Depp, he's 40 something now) Personally, I started shaving my peach fuzz in high school and it seems to get thicker every year of my life. I'm almost thirty and it's started filling in between my soul patch and the sides of my goat and growing towards my eyes up my cheek and towards my chest hair down my throat.

So there may be hope but don't bank on it.

You're only 24 most likely your beard will continue to mature well into your late 20's or for some guys even into their early 30's. Don't sweat it. You can always grow the sides of you stash a bit long and groom them in a downward direction.

FWIW, I'm 37, and that is the LAST part of my beard to grow in,and I'm a Celtic "Woolyback".

Enjoy!

-Michael

Same here. Though I'm only half Irish I'm very much a "wollyback". It sure didn't come from the Swedish side of my family. Dad only has a few sparse chest hairs.

The top portions of my cheeks and the aforementioned connectors were the last parts of my beard to mature at the age of 28 or 29.

Top Bottom