What's new

Need a new Brush: face lather, soaps and creams, soft on face

Hi Guys!

I need some input from brush users that are savvy in the ways of face lathering with soaps and soft brushes for my next purchase.

I find that face lathering works best for me with the time I have to work with. I use a Vulfix 376S Super Badger with cream and get good results, but I been having a hard time using/loading with soaps and my brush has been shedding (2 or 3) hairs every time I use it. I tried using a Omega 10049 Pro Boar and a Muhle 33 K 256 -Silvertip Fiber brushes, when I face lather I get medium to high Irritation (brush-burn) that burns for most of the day. I even tried to lather in a bowl but still got irritation from the brushes when I applied the lather to my face. It is almost like I have a light sunburn on my face.

I been trying to find a new brush that will allow me to face lather with both creams and soaps (hard and soft soaps) while still having soft hairs that wont irritate my skin.

I was thinking of getting Colonel X2L Best Badger from WCS for $65, But I found a Rooney Shaving Brush, Style 3, Small, "Genuine Silvertip" from Classicshaving.com for the same price.

My question(s) to you is: will the Rooney cover my needs? if not, is there a brush out there that can do it at about $65? Or am I trying to squeeze blood from a rock?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you get brush burn just applying the lather w/ the brush, I'm not sure face lathering with any kind of brush would work - but I haven't tried a really high end silvertip thus far. By the sound of it my TGN super silvertip would probably irritate you.

If you get brush burn just applying the lather w/ the brush, I'm not sure face lathering with any kind of brush would work - but I haven't tried a really high end silvertip thus far. By the sound of it my TGN super silvertip would probably irritate you.

My Vulfix 376S Super Badger works fine for face lathering, No irritation what so ever. But is no good with soaps. I should have asked if there was a brush out there that has soft hairs but still good with soaps.

Go with a Rooney. Although I've had 8 Simpsons including a Colonel, I just ordered a new Rooney 1/1 Silvertip to go with my older 3/1 (both from vintageblades) for those days I want a softer brush.

Well I came home from work ready to purchase the Rooney and I found my D.R. Harris Lavender shaving Soap Refill has finally come. I was a little divided on what to do, do I test lather the puck first or do I order the brush. Since I never used a Triple milled soap before I decided to get the Omega 10049 Pro and Vulfix 376S out for a test lather and find out what would work best in a new brush. I first used the Omega and loaded up with the puck in my left hand (since I didn't have a bowl or mug at the time), there was so much proto-lather on the soap I just scooped it up and started lathering in my palm. Result: thick creamy lather. enough for 4 passes.
Next I tried the Vulfix. Again I loaded from the puck in my left hand but I wasn't getting the Vulfix loaded like I did with the Omega. I looked at my brush that was under loaded with soap, then I looked at the puck in my hand covered with proto-lather, then I looked at my face in the mirror wet with water (I was going to try a face lathering) then the puck again. For some reason I put the puck to my face and loaded my beard/stubble with as much proto-lather as I could, then I began to lather up with the brush on my face. Result: Tons of lather, I think I used too much soap because the lather was a little dry but my face and brush would not hold anymore water or lather without making a mess and looking like I used too much Barbasol.

Conclusion: I need to do some more research before getting a new brush (I might not need one) and find out what the Hell is making my face so Sensitive.

One time I had the bright idea to face lather with several brushes and soaps (to test them out). Well I had already shaved so my face got all mad and me and ended up feeling like a sunburn. My face was still sensitive for my next shave so I grabbed for my Body Shop synthetic brush, that thing is super soft and didn't irritate me at all, try one out they are very affordable.

Learn to lather with the 376. Try more or less water in the brush, water on the puck, longer load times and just experiment. I use the Vulfix 22 and 37 series exclusively for face lathering hard soaps like MWF, DR Harris, Williams, Tabac and IK. They work well for me and you will not find a softer feeling brush on the face.

Good luck.

If you're looking for an excuse to buy another brush, you just met he right group of guys. But I think you can get your brush to work really well by just adjusting the way you load your brush.
When you say face lathering works best for you, do you mean you get a better shave or a better lather ?
I also like to face lather, especially when a have extra growth, but it doesn't give me a better shave, just like the ritual.
My point is you can get great lather with what you have. Maybe try a hand lather with your creams instead of face lather.
I don't know what soaps you have, but a pyrex dish is cheap and it makes wonderful lather with all my Italian soft soaps and hard soaps.
Hope this helps.

You never mentioned what soaps or creams you were using before. Just throwing this out but it may be a reaction to a common ingredient in the cream or soap that is not in the Dr. Harris.

Thaeter is the answer for all needs... Bulb shape... 2 or 3 band ... The latter being the softest there is...

If you're looking for an excuse to buy another brush, you just met he right group of guys. But I think you can get your brush to work really well by just adjusting the way you load your brush.
When you say face lathering works best for you, do you mean you get a better shave or a better lather ?
I also like to face lather, especially when a have extra growth, but it doesn't give me a better shave, just like the ritual.
My point is you can get great lather with what you have. Maybe try a hand lather with your creams instead of face lather.
I don't know what soaps you have, but a pyrex dish is cheap and it makes wonderful lather with all my Italian soft soaps and hard soaps.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys for the support! Just an update I am NOT getting a new brush anytime soon. My "Vehicle License Renewal Statement" just came in the mail and I need to spend $328.85 for a little sticker that goes on my car's License Plate. :a47:
So I am stuck with what I have and I am just going to live with it.

Since I can't get a new brush anytime soon, this thread is more or less dead (sorry for wasting your time like that). Before we close up, let me answer some of your question:

I face lather for many reasons:
1) I found I like face lathering over the other methods. I don't know why, I just do.:001_unsur
2) My bathroom is the house/guest bathroom. So no cluttered sink and no large bowls because they wont fit in the Medicine cabinet/mirror. I have been trying building lather in the plastic 1 cup Ziploc containers. Nice size and fits in the Medicine cabinet but the lather does not want to stay in during mixing. A work in progress.
3) During the work week the First thing I do when I get up (beside beg for mercy) is to shave. This works well for me because I can take my time shaving and get my morning chores done and have breakfast And get ready for work AND not be late. The only downside to this the 'first thing in the morning' part. I'm pretty much a zombie when I first get up except I am not a rotting corpse and groaning for a shave and not brains. So I am not in the mood for anything complicated. I have found using KMF brush-less or AOS and TOBS Proraso Creams with a brush is the way to go.

Basically it goes like this: I used creams for couple of months and it worked well. I got bored and got a few soaps to try out but the Vulfix had a hard time with them. Got a Muhle Silvertip Fiber to replace the Vulfix but scratched the hell out of my (suddenly very Sensitive) face. I got mad and went looking for a brush that would do everything and still be soft to my skin. Found the Rooney and Simpson and posted this thread to ask about them. Got good feedback on both brushes, was about to get the Rooney but got the "Vehicle License Renewal Statement" in the mail and had to cancel the order.

:a52: This little guy sums up the whole thing pretty well.

Here is a quick list of Creams and soaps I have.
Creams:
AOS Lavender
TOBS Jermyn Street
KMF Cool mint (brush-less)
Proraso in green tube (old formula)

Soaps:
RR Chianti Lavender
Proraso green tub (old formula)
D.R. Harris lavender
Tabula Rasa (unscented)
AOS (unscented)
VDH Deluxe
VDH Glycerin
VDH Luxury (unscented)

In Conclusion: I will face lather with my creams and will palm lather with my soaps.
THE END! :angel: May this thread R.I.P.

Last edited:
Top Bottom