What's new

Weber Razor

I find myself reaching for my Weber Classic/DLC a fair amount when I'm in a hurry to shave. It never fails to deliver a DFS after just a couple of passes. I personally have no interest in the Bulldog handle as I prefer the now defunct Classic because it's a bit longer. I talked with Ed about a longer Bulldog - and that is apparently not going to happen either. In any event - you could do far worse that to have a Weber in your rotation. My son's birthday is coming up soon and I'm going for the Bulldog/DLC combo for him - he's using a late 40's Super Speed now; so I'm hoping he'll like the Weber.

Face&Head, I appreciate the confirmation that there will be no DLC handle. I know Ed had said that they were having trouble getting the DLC coating to adhere to the knurled handle, so although this is disappointing news, it doesn't come as a big surprise.

What I would like to know is when they will be offering the Classic handle again. For me it's just about perfect, and I would easily buy another DLC head and an ARC head with these handles. It's frustrating that these handles have been out of stock for so long.

Incidentally, here's a pic of three of my favorite objects: the Weber DLC with Classic handle, pocket knife with Gerber blade, and Pelikan M400 dark tortoise fountain pen.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My respect and thanks to Ed from (Weber Razors) Greg (iKon Razors) and Richard (Tradere Razors) All visionary owners of companies that produce outstanding Stainless Steel Razors…….for their foresight and willingness to communicate with their customers.I've had the pleasure of interacting with each of these men and would not hesitate to purchase their products.Each of them have infinitely more patience than I.
When contrasted against a well known company that produces a high volume of crappy zamac razors covered with pathetically bad plating who will tell you any problems you're experiencing are due to YOUR inferior water supply ? It isn't difficult to put things in perspective.

I think if you re-read all the posts in this tread, you'll not find a single criticism of either the manufacturing quality or shaving experience of the razors you mentioned. I'm unsure of what prompted your seemingly gratuitous attack on "crappy Zamac razors". I for one don't find it remarkable that a $35 razor has been manufactured to different standards than $70 to $200 razors.

The point of the thread was to inform any other members who like me, might have been waiting to buy a Weber DLC with a matching handle. Ed was certainly aware of the fact that there was an interest in a product so configured and had previously indicated that they were working to that end. I personally would forgo the DLC coating if there are technical issues with applying to to the handle, if it could otherwise be coated in another black material (powder coat?). Availability has been rather spotty with Weber and the Website offers precious little information about what's going on and getting one word answers to questions is not on the high end of helpful. Richard, to his credit, has an altogether different communications philosophy that is totally transparent and extraordinarily helpful.

That some members have voiced a preference for heads & handles that match is not terribly note-worthy as over the 100+ years of DE history, the vast majority have been sold that way. If I were either Ed or Richard I'd be grateful for the feed-back as I'd want to grow my sales in what is certainly a niche market. I am actually delighted with the combination of my Tradere head on top of a BRW's Bull Mastiff handle from both a function and aesthetic perspective. The Tradere handle has been put to very good use with my Feather AS (not a perfect match but close enough).

I'm still one day hoping to own a Weber as it really is very well thought of by those who own one.

I find myself reaching for my Weber Classic/DLC a fair amount when I'm in a hurry to shave. It never fails to deliver a DFS after just a couple of passes. I personally have no interest in the Bulldog handle as I prefer the now defunct Classic ...

Oh no! The Classic handle is defunct?! How can this be? I wanted more of them!

After hearing many positive reviews about the Weber I was hoping to pick up one of the "DLC" (black coated) versions. However, I was waiting for them to introduce it with a matching handle. As I recall, two or three months ago there was an indication that they would indeed offer the handle that way. Growing impatient, last week I reached out to Ed at Weber to see what was up. In a rather terse response to the question "Just as a quick follow up, should I understand this to mean that there are no plans to introduce a DLC coated handle in the future?" the one word answer was "Correct". This is disappointing as I understand they provide a very good shave but I really have no interest in buying the two-toned version. Oh well, some other vendor will enjoy my RAD dollars.

I think if you re-read all the posts in this tread, you'll not find a single criticism of either the manufacturing quality or shaving experience of the razors you mentioned. I'm unsure of what prompted your seemingly gratuitous attack on "crappy Zamac razors". I for one don't find it remarkable that a $35 razor has been manufactured to different standards than $70 to $200 razors.

The point of the thread was to inform any other members who like me, might have been waiting to buy a Weber DLC with a matching handle. Ed was certainly aware of the fact that there was an interest in a product so configured and had previously indicated that they were working to that end. I personally would forgo the DLC coating if there are technical issues with applying to to the handle, if it could otherwise be coated in another black material (powder coat?)
. Availability has been rather spotty with Weber and the Website offers precious little information about what's going on and getting one word answers to questions is not on the high end of helpful. Richard, to his credit, has an altogether different communications philosophy that is totally transparent and extraordinarily helpful.

That some members have voiced a preference for heads & handles that match is not terribly note-worthy as over the 100+ years of DE history, the vast majority have been sold that way. If I were either Ed or Richard I'd be grateful for the feed-back as I'd want to grow my sales in what is certainly a niche market. I am actually delighted with the combination of my Tradere head on top of a BRW's Bull Mastiff handle from both a function and aesthetic perspective. The Tradere handle has been put to very good use with my Feather AS (not a perfect match but close enough).

I'm still one day hoping to own a Weber as it really is very well thought of by those who own one.

Least we forget,there are dozens of B&B members who have communicated with Ed Weber.I believe the DLC Handle deal was put on hold back in March according to what he told ben74 for example (see below) In addition to that I am fairly certain that the FAQ on the Weber site stated that it was a no go and not likely to happen at all.(Please note the Weber site's FAQ seems to be updated regularly,may not include past info) Weber also posts info/update on Twitter.

It seemed that you were put off that Ed pretty much just gave ya a flat one word answer,hell he's probably got ten times as much patience as me,they're dammed if they do,damned if they don't.

I think it's outstanding that we're able to communicate with the the guys who have the brains and guts to make stainless steel razors available to DE users.

I believe it's that the Weber head's made of cast stainless steel that allows it to be at the $70 price point....got to coat it with something,instead of some shiny stuff like the zamac clones and get asked a lot less questions,Weber uses a relatively elite high tech DLC coating.

The balance between form and function can be precarious.

- From March 23,2012:
If anyone else was wondering about a Weber OC, I contacted Ed at Weber Razors and he explained that there are "no plans for an OC. We have moved onto the CC and will probably not go back."

Oh well, I just have to reacquaint myself with CC then!!!

Further, in relation to the DLC handles, "We do not plan on offering the DLC bulldog anytime soon. We are struggling to get the DLC right on the knurling for the classic handle and it is taking us much longer than we thought it would."

Last edited:
Least we forget,there are dozens of B&B members who have communicated with Ed Weber.I believe the DLC Handle deal was put on hold back in March according to what he told ben74 for example (see below) In addition to that I am fairly certain that the FAQ on the Weber site stated that it was a no go and not likely to happen at all.(Please note the Weber site's FAQ seems to be updated regularly,may not include past info) Weber also posts info/update on Twitter.
It seemed that you were put off that Ed pretty much just gave ya a flat one word answer,hell he's probably got ten times as much patience as me,they're dammed if they do,damned if they don't.

The purpose of my post was to let those who did not communicate with Ed know that there wouldn't be a DLC handle. He wouldn't be exercising more patience than you have if the information was readily available on his website. As far as I can tell, no one is damning him.

I think it's outstanding that we're able to communicate with the the guys who have the brains and guts to make stainless steel razors available to DE users.

Really? I too hold them in high regard but they're not running General Motors. I'd think they would be delighted to get feed back and questions from their customers. If not, they shouldn't be in a consumer products business.

I believe it's that the Weber head's made of cast stainless steel that allows it to be at the $70 price point....got to coat it with something,instead of some shiny stuff like the zamac clones and get asked a lot less questions,Weber uses a relatively elite high tech DLC coating.

I think the Weber is a great value at $70...that's part of the reason I'd like to buy one. You can by a Lord for a fraction of what Richard charges for the Tradere, but his razor is a better value IMO (I bought 2). But the price/value equation really has nothing whatever to do with being able to buy a Weber with a matching handle...you know, the point of the thread.

You seem pretty exercised about this thread as if it were some assault on Ed Weber and/or his razor. It was neither. I characterized his response to my inquiry as "terse" which it most assuredly was. Again the one & only point of the post was to let members know that there'd be no DLC handle. I'm really mystified as to why this prompted comments from you trashing other products. If you read though the tread you'll see some guys were surprised by the temporary or permanent unavailability of the other handle. I guess we can agree to disagree as to whether or not the website could/should include some additional information. But I at least, don't see that as a big issue. I'll say it again, I hope one day to own a Weber Razor, it seems to be a fantastic piece of kit at a great price.

I understand that many folks like the colour to be consistent from the head through to the handle, I don't have a problem with the look.

What has always confused me was that as Weber was using the DLC and pointing out it reduced friction then why did people want to put it on the handle? That to my way of thinking would reduce friction on the handle which is exactly where you want it.

Anyway, I come here to praise Weber not bury it, I love the look and feel of my ARC model and will one day consider getting a DLC model as well as I find it to be the best of my safety edge razors.

The purpose of my post was to let those who did not communicate with Ed know that there wouldn't be a DLC handle. He wouldn't be exercising more patience than you have if the information was readily available on his website. As far as I can tell, no one is damning him.

The subject matter you felt compelled to devote a new thread to was already posted in this forum's main ***Weber Razor*** thread by ben74 over 9 weeks ago.I have no doubt many potential customers including myself took note of the fact,however...it's easy to see how one may have missed it.Although redundant your information's correct.You asked,Ed answered,sounds good enough.The part I don't get was the further need for a man to go online and embellish another man's response about a safety razor as having been "rather terse"

I love my NEW, it will always have a place in my den. So will my TTO OCs, the FaTip & the R41. But I am developing a serious love for the Weber. I skipped a shave yesterday, used it this morning with a Shark, 2 passes, a little buffing under my jaw, BBS, no irritation, my Ogalla Bay Rum couldn't even find any. I've got to say this razor fits me. I think it's either love or hate for it, no middle ground from what I've read. The DLC head & the stainless handle don't bother me, it makes it easy to find! I will probably try to find an original handle at some point, and my try to paint it black or have it powder coated. But I may not. Why mess with perfection? As the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I went for the ARC finish because it was a closer match to the handle than the DLC, but to be honest the fact that the head and handle have different finishes doesn't bother me at all, which surprised me a bit because I'm usually very picky about that kind of thing. The Weber has become my favourite razor, I love it!

All I gotta say is that I have recently purchased the Weber DLC and I absolutely love it!!! The stainless steel handle and the DLC head is a perfect combo 4 my face and head shaves. I like the color combo of black and stainless steel. However... if they have the matching black DLC head and handle I would purchase one also. All in all... for a razor that has a hefty stainless steel bulldog handle and DLC head that glides U cannot beat the price of 70 bucks and it's made in the good ole USA!!!:thumbup1:

WARHAWK

I love my NEW, it will always have a place in my den. So will my TTO OCs, the FaTip & the R41. But I am developing a serious love for the Weber. I skipped a shave yesterday, used it this morning with a Shark, 2 passes, a little buffing under my jaw, BBS, no irritation, my Ogalla Bay Rum couldn't even find any. I've got to say this razor fits me. I think it's either love or hate for it, no middle ground from what I've read. The DLC head & the stainless handle don't bother me, it makes it easy to find! I will probably try to find an original handle at some point, and my try to paint it black or have it powder coated. But I may not. Why mess with perfection? As the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I had an additional pass this morning, but beyond that, my experience mirrors yours. The Weber with a Rapira blade has become my go to combination. Smooth, irritation free, DFS to BBS shaves every time.

I finally received in the mail a few days ago, a Weber DLC stainless steel razor ordered from here:

http://www.weberrazor.com/

This stainless steel razor is a great shaver, well made and will no doubt last a life time: this razor has heavy handle and is a bit more on the aggressive side (~2.5 on my Mergress) as compared to my mild shaving stainless steel Feather AS-D1 razor, although not nearly as aggressive as my Merkur slant. If you want a high quality razor, not as mild as a Feather, but less than half the price, I highly recommend the Weber stainless steel razor at $70.00.....Each of my 4 razors have their own character, so I really can't say one is better than the other, or that I enjoy and prefer one over the others, however, if you can only afford one really good, high quality stainless steel razor, you can't go wrong with the Weber. The Weber is now in my rotation along side my Feather AS-D1(~$180.00), Mergress (~$115.00) and Merkur Slant (~$42.00) and I rotate them on each Feather blade change.

i too talked with Weber, they have no plans at all to any change, i was interested in a OC version-------but i do like what he offers and i will get one someday

gentlemen, if you detailed answers, I would appreciate it. I do not know English. I want to learn the difference between the arc and the DLC coating. a little research here and other forums. I read somewhere that the arc is medical chrome. If the arc is chrome, DLC is better. because you know,dlc very much more durable than chrome . durability is more important to me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of arc coating ? (plus and cons arc ?). regards

gentlemen, if you detailed answers, I would appreciate it. I do not know English. I want to learn the difference between the arc and the DLC coating. a little research here and other forums. I read somewhere that the arc is medical chrome. If the arc is chrome, DLC is better. because you know,dlc very much more durable than chrome . durability is more important to me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of arc coating ? (plus and cons arc ?). regards

http://www.weberrazor.com/coatings
Hope this helps my friend

Top Bottom