What's new

My Plan to Eliminate Razor Burn on My Neck

P

pdillon

I have been shaving 2-3 passes on the face and 1 pass on the face everyday for about 4 weeks now. This morning the lather was slick, my hand was steady and I had the time so I decided to add a second pass. The results were good: I was able to reduce much more of my beard. The only problem spot was at the bottom of the neck, slightly above and to my left of the adam's apple. I think it is where I would start my XTG. Probably an issue of angle, or perhaps a Dorco blade on its 3rd use (but probably angle :wink2:). In general, I could tell my technique was on, though, because I could hear the razor more than I could feel it, if that makes sense.

I am enjoying this experiment so I definitely don't want to rush adding a second pass too quickly, but I will probably start working it in once or twice a week and now I will know what to look for. This is really focusing my attention on technique, both for razor and lather. Perhaps it is the NEW Long Comb I am using exclusively, but it seems like changing brands of blade is not making that much difference. Perhaps once I have my technique dialed in, the differences in blades will become much more apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pdillon

Today was the first setback in recent memory. I have been shaving every day--most days 1 pass on the neck but often adding a second--without any significant neck irritation and making steady improvements in technique. I must have used my NEW long comb for two months straight. I really got the technique down with it. What a fantastic razor!

I used my R41 every weekday this past week and had very good results as well. I would expect my technique with that razor to improve also from steady use.

Yesterday and today I have been using my Goodfella, and the irritation is creeping back in. I must be overly compensating for the mildness of the razor. Many people suggest aggressive or efficient razors like the R41 to get rid of razor burn and that has been borne out here. I just wonder if I will be able to work with my Goodfella to start getting irritation free shaves on the neck. Hopefully I won't have to take a day off tomorrow.

P

pdillon

I have switched back to my first razor, the Merkur HD for the past couple of weeks and I have not been having great results. The Gillette NEW LC is definitely a most excellent razor. It is my favorite of those I own. I'm not sure if the NEW LC is THAT much better than the HD, but rather I think I'm having a hard time adjusting my technique. I'm probably applying pressure on my neck. Something about the bar safety guard or the bulkiness of the head is putting me off. Not sure if I will soldier ahead with the HD and try to perfect my technique, or perhaps put it up on BST as my NEW LC leaves really nothing to be desired in terms of performance.

Top Bottom