What's new

Open Comb vs Closed? Safety Bar? Razor

I currently have a Merkur HD and am curious about getting an open comb razor. If I were to stick with Merkur and go with one of their open combs, would I find any difference in shaving with it? Are there any advantages? I've been happy with my current razor for the last 2 years, and don't NEED to get another razor, but this is a curiosity of mine and I don't want to jump into it if I'm getting the same exact shaves.
Thanks for the input!

I think you should buy a vintage, open comb Gillette. The Merkurs are nice razors but the vintage Gillette's provide top notch shaves too. If you fancy a change then branch out a little, the 1912 patent single edge GEM/Ever Ready razors are closed comb, cheap and some of the best shavers ever made.

I find between my Merkur 34C (safety bar) razor and my Merkur 11C (open comb), the open comb is a tad bit more aggressive. If you are getting a great shaves with your two current razors than stick with them. If you are curious, and don't want to break the bank find a vintage Gillette New (either short or long comb).

I like the way OCs let me know tactilely exactly what is going on angle-wise. I find that they are overall very forgiving, but the tangible sensation advises just how efficient you are at any given moment.

Be advised, the Muhle R41's "instructions" can be quite startling if you have a momentary lapse in concentration.

Great suggestions, here. If you want to experiment, vingtage Gillettes are the way to go. If you want to add another Merkur to the family, then the 1904 open-comb would be a great compliment to your HD. Quite mild for open-combs, but a beautiful razor, nonetheless!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Open comb vs. Safety bar...

Is there a difference? Of course there is! Is there a difference between the Merkur HD and Merkur Classic? Yes!

The open comb is a different model and that's it. It's a bit like comparing two cars. You will travel from A to B but your level of confort will be different (or could be similar). The best way to know, you got to try it!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. The Merkur 1904 is exactly what I was contemplating. I like the look of the handle too, looks very classic to me. Maybe I'll have to start looking around.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. The Merkur 1904 is exactly what I was contemplating. I like the look of the handle too, looks very classic to me. Maybe I'll have to start looking around.

Of all of the Open Combs that has been through my hands, the Merkur Model 41 1904 OC is one of two open combs remaining in my rotation. Great price, excellent performer, and a mild shave. It is hard to beat it at the price point that it is at.

Of all of the Open Combs that has been through my hands, the Merkur Model 41 1904 OC is one of two open combs remaining in my rotation. Great price, excellent performer, and a mild shave. It is hard to beat it at the price point that it is at.

The 1904 OC or even the 11C are both great performers....IMO...very mild...as mild as the EJ DE89, but does a smooth effective job at stubble removal. The OC we suggest the most to those first getting into OC in the BOTOC is the Gillette NEW....can be found at a good price and is hard to beat for performance and irritation free shaves.

If more aggressive is what you are looking, try the single ring Old type before moving onto more aggressive razors such as the Fatip or 2011 Muhle R41. The R41 though is hands down my favorite razor in my collection.

Top Bottom