What's new

A Possible New Favorite Blade for Me

One shave is really not nearly enough to judge a blade by. But since I just got the smoothest and closest shave ever I'm pretty stoked. Just got done shaving with one of the Gillette "White Platinum" blades - the ones people say are the closest to "Swedes". Oh my - my face is smooth as it's ever been, and zero irritation either. I used the same razor (a Futur) that I've used exclusively since I got it for xmas. But I must note that I used a new soap today and fully understand how important that factor is. I just tried Penhaligon's BB for the first time. Absolutely loved the scent, and it helped contribute to this "best ever" shave. So that's a big thumbs up for BB as well.

To put the blade evaluation in context some other favorites of mine are GBEs, SI's, 7 Blues, Blacks and Yellows, and Perma-Sharps. That puts these "White Platinums" in really good company. Sadly, I only bought a couple packs of them.

I know the feeling, my best shaves are with the russian perma-sharp... but don't tell anybody or Gillette will shutdown the place X.X

No! These

proxy.php

Just had my second shave with the same Gillette "White Platinum" blade. Hard to believe a shave could be better than that first one with this blade, but this one was. I've had a few shaves that I think of as my best shave ever - meaning no one in particular stood out and there were several in the running for best. But not after today. Soooooooooo smooth, Sooooooooooo close. Man do I wish I had bought more of these.

By the way, changed from BB to Trumpers Spanish Leather cream which was another new purchase and first time use for me. I put a dab in my scuttle and then this stuff almost exploded into lather just about as soon as I touched my brush to it. Great, great lather, and really nice scent. I'm sure this will become a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
Just had my second shave with the same Gillette "White Platinum" blade. Hard to believe a shave could be better than that first one with this blade, but this one was. I've had a few shaves that I think of as my best shave ever - meaning no one in particular stood out and there were several in the running for best. But not after today. Soooooooooo smooth, Sooooooooooo close. Many do I wish I had bought more of these.

By the way, changed from BB to Trumpers Spanish Leather cream which was another new purchase and first time use for me. I put a dab in my scuttle and then this stuff almost exploded into lather just about as soon as I touched my brush to it. Great, great lather, and really nice scent. I'm sure this will become a favorite of mine.

Know sources for the GFT Spanish Leather (which is one of my favorite scents in an aftershave) shave cream, but where do you get the Gillette White Platinums?

I was in Europe for a few weeks recently. I found them in a couple of small soap and scent shops in Bologna, and I also saw them in a shave shop in Ferrara. Don't know how common they are there, but I did see them in a few places. As far as I know there are no retailers that offer them but you can find them on ebay if you check some of the non-US ebay sites.

do they say "distributed by procter & gamble, uk, weybridge, surrey"? look like the same blades I received form spain last year. excellent blades, smooth, sharp, and long lived in a variety of tto razors-didn't use them in an open comb. at approx. $1/blade seem expensive compared to 7 o'clock blues or blacks-which seem to be very similar, with subtle differences between them.

Glad you liked them Jim. Amazing blade aren't they? Now you know why I call them 'the spiritual successor to Swedes'. Great photo you posted there by the way :wink2:

Now you know what I was talking about all that time ago. Our faces must be twins because our taste in blades is utterly identical!

Please try them in an older Open-comb Gillette (my axe was a Common-bar NEW), and compare a Maltese in them compared to a White and then let me know what you think.

do they say "distributed by procter & gamble, uk, weybridge, surrey"? look like the same blades I received form spain last year. excellent blades, smooth, sharp, and long lived in a variety of tto razors-didn't use them in an open comb. at approx. $1/blade seem expensive compared to 7 o'clock blues or blacks-which seem to be very similar, with subtle differences between them.

Yep, those are the ones. I paid a bit less in the retail shop where I bought them. But they were still expensive.

Glad you liked them Jim. Amazing blade aren't they? Now you know why I call them 'the spiritual successor to Swedes'. Great photo you posted there by the way :wink2:

Now you know what I was talking about all that time ago. Our faces must be twins because our taste in blades is utterly identical!

Please try them in an older Open-comb Gillette (my axe was a Common-bar NEW), and compare a Maltese in them compared to a White and then let me know what you think.

No, no, no. Don't tell me that. After purchasing several things in Europe and them adding several La Famiglia products, and buying several items at the Vintage Scent sale I've promised myself I'm done for the year already. And now you, who seem to have the same taste in blades as I do, are suggesting I should use an Open-comb. I don't have one, but now I'm starting to want one. Now look what you've done.

Last edited:
I bought 1000 Perms on eBay (Turkish vendor but not Bestshave). For about 17 cents each and no shipping, I'm set for life--or maybe two lives.

No, no, no. Don't tell me that. After purchasing several things in Europe and them adding several La Famiglia products, and buying several items at the Vintage Scent sale I've promised myself I'm done for the year already. And now you, who seem to have the same taste in blades as I do, are suggesting I should use an Open-comb. I don't have one, but now I'm starting to want one. Now look what you've done.

Definitely worth grabbing one. They aren't too expensive on fleabay, relatively cheap actually as long as you get a reasonable listing.

And yes, it is all my fault - I am most comfortable with being blamed for it. Send SWMBO my details, I'm a big boy and she can't hurt me too much :)

I saw these "White Platinum" Gillette blades in Spain a few years ago. These were sold in almost every supermarket there. But for a pack of 5 blades the price was about 5 Euros so I didn't buy them.

Well, I'm finally done with this blade. Got three more fantastic shaves out of it. That's more than I've ever tried to get out of blade before - usually throw them away before they start having problems. This one was just so good that I didn't want to stop using it. It might have had more left in it but even though it gave me a nice close shave on its last use it seemed to not glide as smoothly.

I think I'll switch right back to a GBE, my favorite before discovering these white plats, and see how it compares while the memory of this one is still fresh.

Well, I'm finally done with this blade. Got three more fantastic shaves out of it. That's more than I've ever tried to get out of blade before - usually throw them away before they start having problems. This one was just so good that I didn't want to stop using it. It might have had more left in it but even though it gave me a nice close shave on its last use it seemed to not glide as smoothly.

I usually don't do this, but:

I TOLD YOU SO!!! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom