What's new

"best" shaving cream

G'Day mate,

Never tried the Faulding and I always opted for the Palmolive sitting next to it at Woolies.

I shall give it ago next time.

gday vsingh - you won't be disappointed!

I've had an idea rattling around my bald dome lately. I have been thinking of getting some Proraso eucalypt+menthol shave cream. I was wondering how they add the E+M to the cream. then I thought, 'why not just add some E+M essential oils to some Fauldings and see how it turns out' so I did.

I made a practice lather this afternoon. I'm not sure how the Proraso looks/feels/smells/lathers but my home made Proraso was epic - I will be shaving with it tomorrow for sure!!

I'm not sure it's possible to have one definitive "best", because if there was that's what everyone would use. With that in mind, here's my best.

In terms of quality of shave, it has to go to AOS Sandalwood. In terms of scent, Old Spice, the Shulton one from India.

As a newb I have VERY limited exposure, but a member here sent me a tub of TOBS St James and it is just great! Great smell, great creamy lather and great results. Love this forum and all the information.

For me, Tabula Rasa is the best cream I've tried. In fact, It gives me the best overall shave of anything I've used and that is odd considering I prefer soaps and love tallow.

I'm very new to this, but I've been working my way thru a bunch of samples and so far the Nancy Boy Signature has given me the best shave. The smell of TOBS Shop stood out for me though. Think I may be end up being more of a soap guy, but I'm enjoying trying so many different creams.

I've got quite a few under my belt, but so far the best I've tried is TOBS Coconut.
It ticks all the right boxes for me; delicious warm scent, great slickness, and most importantly it lather's up nice and thick with little effort to give a superb amount of cushioning!

The best shaving soap I have encountered is Crabtree and Evelyn's Sandalwood (cake). I am simply in love with the scent for one ( which is oddly not all that sandalwoody), but most importantly is that latherability if you will. I am a face latherer by nature, and even with a low quality brush the C&E is able to perform incredibly. I cannot settle for less than highly dense and thick lather, this soap suffices. This has rang true for their other soaps as well actually. But this one is my personal favorite.

After daily use for at least a year and a half I am still on my first cake! It provides me with a very thick, dense lather (which for a face latherer is my dream come true)

Incredible quality soaps for a great value.. I mean think about $9 for shaving soap over the course of a year and a half. I still have many months left too! So this would have to be my all time favorite soap. I have also tried their creams which produce some of my favorite thick/dense lather.

Castle Forbes Lavender.. Can't beat it
AOS Sandalwood.. Tremendous scent lathers very easily
Castle Forbes Lime.. Delicious scent, great protection.. combined with lemon pre shave oil gives a nice custom lemon lime scent

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have tried most of the T&H creams and they are all fine creams, but Ultimate Comfort is their best. I've tried most of the TOBS creams and they are fine creams. I've tried some QCS creams and had some skin reaction to the strong flavors, but the Lavender is an outstanding value for your dollar and I also liked Esquire and Mysore quite a bit.

I have a couple flavors of Proraso and RazorRock (including XXX) and they are pretty good value for the buck creams. Simpson's is a little better.

Of all of the above creams I would put Ultimate Comfort first, with Simpson's as a close second.

Castle Forbes Lavender is even better. In terms of quality of shave, face feel and small amount of product needed it is absolutely the best bang for the buck I have found.

I am still afraid to try AdP.

I've not tried a huge number of creams, but I picked up a sandalwood sample pack from West Coast Shaving. It was sandalwoods from 6 or 7 manufacturers. The one that really impressed me Cyrl R Salter. TOBS was good as well.

I like a nice big selection of creams, but the one I go back to first, when don't use a soap, is Speick. Great performer, nice, unusual herbal scent.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the three Ts, DRH, AOS, or eShave. They're all fantastic... you just have to find the scents you like. I include your aforementioned NB in that mix as well.
I have to agree to this... 5 years later :)

Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill, Geo F. Trumper and D.R. Harris are all great shaving creams. You can’t go wrong with any of them.
It all comes down to which scent you like best.

I think all the big name creams are pretty good. Proraso is a pretty good value as is TOBS. I've just picked up St. James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot, Truefitt & Hill Almond and a Simpsons. Simpsons might be the best of the lot, but they are all pretty good and I think it just comes down to which scent you like best.

Very Heavy Beard, with most products, I can braly tolerate a third pass...however the following products enable me to have three passes, regardless of blade/razor combo.
Out of the 20+ shaving creams/soaps in my den currently. For me, the best in terms of Slickness, Cushion and Post Shave feeling are:
1. Martin de Candre (Fougere) -very expensive but truly unbeatable for performance and this giant tub will last for years, a little goes a very long way.
2. Proraso Blue (protective and moisturizing)- Very inexpensive but mind blowing performance, seriously.

I have mostly moved on from creams and use soaps more often. But I do have a fair amount of creams that I still need to work through. Among those in my collection, TOBS, Proraso, Musgo Real, St. James of London, Gillette Pure and Castle Forbes, I have to say of those my favorite is probably Musgo Real with TOBS a close second. I think the performance of Musgo Real is top notch and their scents are sublime. TOBS has some nice scents and decent performance as well. I'll probably always have their Grapefruit because it smells just like real grapefruit. Their Sandalwood may also always have a spot as well. Ah, what the heck. I really love their Eton College as well. But of the Musgo Real creams that I have, they all smell amazing. The Classic scent is truly classic and very much a form of barbershop. The Oak Moss is also quite devine. And the Orange Amber takes me to another place. Also, the Castle Forbes is probably the most overrated cream I've ever tried. I have both Lavender and Lime. The scents are ok but the performance is sorely lacking in slickness. But definitely not worth the money then charge for those tubs.

Top Bottom