What's new

Goat horns scales from animal to my scales - vegetarians look away

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Her post my go something like this: Just made these bone scales from scratch. There was a bit of work, cutting sanding etc. I won't bore you with the details so here is a photo of the finished razor.

You could stop by the thrift store & pick up a beat up pot cheap. Use the outdoor grill to boil the water. SWMBO would be happier.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Toady I cut the end off the trial horn, split the horn the rest of the way up the seam, then cut into two down the centre.
boiled to soften then layed flat. This worked but will need to remove some horn on the edge to help.
$goat horn split 008.jpg
$goat horn split 009.jpg
The end piece could be used for making a wedge as is very thick or may just be a treat for the dogs.
$goat horn split 004.jpg$goat horn split 005.jpg
next step is to remove the core from the other 5 horns and split.
Then I will be able to see which horns wall make a good scale.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Scott the dogs have been following my project with great interest.
At one point I could hear crunch crunch crunch behind me, lucky it was only the small off cuts on the floor. Have taken this as a warning to keep horns out of reach from the dogs at all times.

At one point I could hear crunch crunch crunch behind me, lucky it was only the small off cuts on the floor. Have taken this as a warning to keep horns out of reach from the dogs at all times.

I picked up a shed deer antler in the woods right after you started this thread. The dogs (goldens - aka cookie monsters) inventoried where I put the horn. They occasionally come in and look at the shelf and look back at me. Doesn't help that they have deer antlers for chewing... they think I'm waiting for a special time to give it to them.

you could kill two birds with one stone and while you boil them make some goat head soup......

great thread and awesome do it yourself idea...

and the labs are beauties btw....

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I picked up a shed deer antler in the woods right after you started this thread. The dogs (goldens - aka cookie monsters) inventoried where I put the horn. They occasionally come in and look at the shelf and look back at me. Doesn't help that they have deer antlers for chewing... they think I'm waiting for a special time to give it to them.
When the time comes to give them a piece you could make them work for it. Drag the antler piece around the back yard with no dog and hide it. At the starting place instruct you dog to find. Labs are natural hunters and will love this game plus the next time you go bush take the dog and reap the rewards.
would like to see what you make from the antler.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
you could kill two birds with one stone and while you boil them make some goat head soup......

great thread and awesome do it yourself idea...

and the labs are beauties btw....
I have a feeling every thing cooked in this pot my taste like Goat soup from this day on......

No Thank you. I enjoy the pics of the "Quality Control Testers" as well as the project.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
quick update
Today I removed the cores from the remaining 5 horns. Used the same method as with the trial.
Removing of the core will help in speeding up the cure time, so are happy to have them all out now.
Have run out of gas for the cooker, so have left it there for today.

Nice to see some home processing of natural materials! I have worked with horn and also hoof, let me tell you, this stuff moves around like a like a kid in church! Cut it down close to the size you want and let that cure. Even if the entire horn is dry, when you cut it you expose new surfaces to the air. I suggest wet sanding by hand, power tools really make the shop stink like burnt hair! Hand sand to 2500# then hit it with white compound on a loose wheel followed by pink scratchless compound. It will shine like it has a finish a mile deep and no one will believe its natural material! It can be persuaded into shape with a hair drier on high or a heat gun on low. I take and clamp it to a board with a C-clamp lightly then apply heat and tighten down slowly. Expect some spring back over the following week after removing from the board.

-Xander

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Any news on the drying process?
I was just thinking about that while shaving this morning with my Joseph Elliot. This will be my first razor up for the horn.
The horns are starting to dry. I gave one a tap on the side of a pot just last week and could hear a sharper sound than a few months ago. They feel stiffer as well.
I hope to find time in the coming weeks to get one or two of them flat.

This is a great project, but I think the OP should follow the theme to its logical conclusion and go out and dig up some iron ore, smelt it, process the iron into high carbon steel and forge and finish a blade too. This would be truly magnificent, even if a little excessive.

:))

I'm tempted to comment on the complaints about causing offence...... So I will. I'm VERY offended by those who seek to impose their own ideas of morality on others and try to censor their communications. I'm offended that I didn't see the goats. However - since I approve of free expression and the ability to share ideas, I'll just leave it there.

Top Bottom