What's new

Goat horns scales from animal to my scales - vegetarians look away

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Brooksie: I need to get my A into G and move this along. Hope to move this into the next phase soon, time and motivation permitting.
This is in fact my first rescale project, so I may not be the best person to rescale your razor. As an alternative I could send you a pair of flat blank horns FOC... when I get them flat that is.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK I have left this for a bit longer than the intended year. Time has come to play some more.
Went to grab the horns I had already spit in two, when I got home from work yesterday but I could not find them. There was only a few horns left. ***.... damn dogs... or a dirty rat, were a few of the thoughts. Don't panic don't panic, I know where I left them. Guess it has been a long time. :lol:
On inspecting the pair I had already spilt, I decided not to use them. This was the one with the defect and looks thick at one end and too thin at the other. So spilt another horn. Getting these in two piece is a bit of a pain as I only have a coping saw. It does the job and is cheap so will continue with this method.
The smell is gone to my nose so took them inside for a clean up with a Stainless steel wire scouring pad and hot soapy water.
I can see a some green stain on one. Will try a sand that out later.

$horns 6.jpg$horns 5.jpg$horns 4.jpg

Put them in a old pot and boiled for about 10 minutes to make flexible. Then out to the shed and clamped them down on a saw horse.

$Horns 1.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I left them clamped down for a day. They are not 100% flat but flat enough to cut the scale.
When the scales are cut it will remove the spots like the curled edge that are stopping it laying flat.
will leave these as is for now just to see if there is any more movement.

$horn flat 2.jpg$horn flat 1.jpg

Last edited:
You can use heat from a propane torch when pressing them flat and you may have better results. Practice on some scrap to try it if you like.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
You can use heat from a propane torch when pressing them flat and you may have better results. Practice on some scrap to try it if you like.
sounds like a good idea but I don't have a torch, so will try with what I have at hand.
Now that the odour has abated the kitchen stove could be worth a try. Bake on max for about half an hour, may just do the trick. Just need to time it for when SWMBO goes out. She did not notice that I boiled then in the house the other day.
It would also be better if I can find some flat steel to press it in-between, as the soft wood showed some dents from the high points when clamped.

You can use a vise to bend it when it is very hot and hold til it cools some and it will stay where cooled.
I have straightened some horn slabs before I could use them and learned the technique watching some videos on youtube making shoehorns out of horn and similar other stuff from horn.

The ram horns look great. My vote is for the rough texture. Excited to see the final product. Thanks for posting.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
play time again... today cut scales to shape.

$scales cut 1.jpg

then boiled and clamped flat using the same method as before. stuck together with double sided tape and a bit of sanding.
starting to look the part but there is a lot of sanding to be done. These look very thick so will sand the inside to thin out a bit.
Will leave that for another day.

$scales cut 2.jpg

$scales cut 6.jpg

They are still not flat but I will leave my attempt to get them 100% there until all the sanding and shaping is done.
Not sure if I have cut these just a little bit short at the wedge end. what do you guys think ?

$scales cut 4.jpg

$scales cut 5.jpg

If you heat them in the center and bend them a bit past straight holding one end ina vise then hold them til cool you should be good to go. Do them individually then true them on belt sander.

If you heat them in the center and bend them a bit past straight holding one end ina vise then hold them til cool you should be good to go. Do them individually then true them on belt sander.

Really? I've always assumed they will slowly go back to their natural shape. I've assumed the vintage horn scales I've gotten with inward bowing were a result of this technique being used back in the day.

Those just need a little sanding to bring them back :p
Give it a try, you might have discovered the newest thing in scales: burnt horn.

Top Bottom