What's new

The Goods! Straight Razor Hobbyist Gallery

I using manual

proxy.php

I have not posted restorations in a while so here is one I just finished.
Got this Suredge for restoreand rescae with the request of some more colorful scales.
What is better than some Kirinite? I have not worked with that material before but I like it, polishes great, feels great in hands, I like how the patterns impart sort of a 3D look to the sales.
Blade is near mirror, buffed and polished, and I also re-blued the tang.
I used white acrylic wedge, SS washers, and brass pins.

I found a straight razor in my family's old house. It says Southern Steel Preferred on it. It also says 7-07 on the part of the metal close to the handle. There is a design on the blade that looks like two arrows going through the words.

No idea how old it is as the house was built in 1885 and we have accumulated a ton of stuff over the years. It could have belonged to my grandfather or his dad or his dad...you get the point.

I don't know how to submit photos on my phone. Do I need to get my post count up?

Shumate in Lava Flow Kirinite. The blade was pretty beat, but it cleaned up well with very little pitting left.
I managed to match the patterns on each scale and now they flow from one scale to the other. Brass pins, stainless washers, red acrylic wedge.

This is my one and only straight, a Kobar High Class that I got from Whipped Dog. It's a good shaver when I take the time to use it and strop it up, but I've been mostly using my safety razors during the week, my GEM Heavy Flat Top during GEMini. Once GEMini is up, I'd like to figure out how to use this straight to make a clean edge for my beard, now that I've grown it out. I've posted a photo of this razor in the past, but wanted to feature it with my Old Spice in my shave corner.

$Old Spice Kobar High Class.JPG

This was a fun project for me.
The razor restored nicely and took a great edge.
The scales are Macassar Ebony. The original slab was with horizontal tricolor pattern that would not allow to have the three colors on the scales. I decided to try cutting at ~45 degrees and with no warping issues the scales now have a nice matching pattern going on.
I decided to dome some stainless steel washers and pinned with brass rod. Finally I made a smoke acrylic wedge for the scales.
It all came out together very nicely IMHO.

The scales are Macassar Ebony. The original slab was with horizontal tricolor pattern that would not allow to have the three colors on the scales. I decided to try cutting at ~45 degrees and with no warping issues the scales now have a nice matching pattern going on.

Wow, very cool to use three dimensional thinking to get all three colors into the scale. And mirrored to boot. Very nice!

Top Bottom