What's new

Brush Delimma: Rooney Style 2 Size 1 vs Simpsons Colonel

I've got my small stable of modest brushes along with the Wee and Simpsons Special but I've been really researching my next brush purchase. I'd like to stay within the $50-75 range and the brushes that have gotten my attention have been the Rooney Style 2 and Simpsons Colonel.
I mostly face lather but do like to whip up a good lather in my mugs on occasion. I use creams and soaps and want a versatile brush. So what do you guys think of these options? I know that Simpsons and Rooney's are a polarizing issue.

$RooneyStyle2size1.jpg$SimpsonsColonel.jpg

Last edited:
Let this be your opportunity to get a Rooney, you have a Simpsons but not a Rooney. I don't have a Rooney but maybe one day I will, I have the Colonel and really like that brush, mine has a 44mm loft and it is really soft and scrubby. Either way you will be happy.

I too echo the sentiments for the Rooney. I have a 2/1 and love it.

$Shavemac_Rooney.jpg

2002 Shavemac Thuja wood 23mm Silvertip custom #22064 (Ht 110, Handle 48, Loft 62, Knot 23)
2007 Rooney Style 2 Size 1 Faux Ivory 22mm Super (Ht 107, Handle 55, Loft 52, Knot 22)

Last edited:
I have the Colonel and have found it good for everything. But I don't have a Rooney to compare it with. Maybe I should.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, I've had both. I still have the Colonel. The Rooney 2/1 that I had was just a hair too floppy for me ..

I've owned both. The knot in the Rooney is more dense, hair is softer, a bit of lather hog, but makes incredible lather with just a damp brush.

The simpsons has better flow through and different hair.

The brushes may look the same but behave differently. I like them both. A lot.

The Colonel definitely has backbone and feels pretty dense to me. I don't have a Rooney so can't offer an opinion there.

I don't know if I got a special Rooney, but I find my colonel more floppy than my 3/1 super. Just based on my two brushes I'd pick the Rooney in a heartbeat if forced to choose.

I took the leap....................and ordered the Colonel from WCS. Between the discount (10% on Simpsons, code BB) and free shipping at $80, I got the brush, Valobra shave stick, RR Chianti, and Erasmic (for variety). I also wanted to have a trio (Wee, Special, Colonel), baby bear, mama bear, papa bear sorta thing.
The Rooney will have to wait a little bit longer........... a few months, weeks, days, hours?

Great Krona! You will not regret your choice. The Colonel is keeper for life. I bet you will go for them Dukes the next time. Most brushes in the Simpson stable are really unmatched when it comes to aesthetics compared to every other manufacturer. Quality is top notch.

I have a Rooney 1/1Super Badger and the Colonel as well as two others. I hardly touch the Rooney-very soft but a bit too floppy and somewhat of a lather hog. Of course, they all get the job done but it's how it feels to you.

Just FYI, my lead-off batter is the Duke 3 in two-band, but the Colonel held that spot up until the Duke arrived.

Last edited:
Well, here it is along with some software from WCS (wonderful A++++ service, I've called and there's no machine to talk to).
I also completed a small trio.....
The Colonel is still unbloomed.
$Simpsontrio#1.jpg$Simpsontrio#2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that was fast! Looks nice, hope you enjoy it. I'm still looking forward to your reviews on this brush as well as the reviews of future brush purchases.

Top Bottom