• $0 (3).JPG
    $0 (3).JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
  • $0 (5).JPG
    $0 (5).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 101

Legion

Staff member
Both look nice, but +1 on making your wedge more wedgy. Those scales should splay out about half an inch more at the open end.

Based on the scales, alone, I prefer the white pine because they look fresh and modern. The blade you choose could completely change my preference, though.

I voted both..from the side I like the look of the white pine slightly better, but viewed from the end with the contrasting spacer I think I like the walnut better. I think you did a really nice job shaping them and thinning them out on both sets.
And +1 on making a wedge instead of a spacer. I was resistant to this thinking a wedge was going to be a lot more complicated, my spacers were working, etc etc, until I made a couple sets with wedges. Very simple to do and really improves the appearance and how the blade fits in the scales.

I voted "I like both" in the poll, but I must say that the lighter pine is a much more unique choice; darker wood scales are much more common historically, and the light pine against the steel blade I think would read very nicely. I'm changing my vote.

Love the walnut for two main reasons. Dark is richer to my eye and flatters a vintage blade. Walnut (believe me) is a much harder wood than pine and will stand the test of time.

Top Bottom