What's new

After using your soap...

When I'm done, I put the lid on the bowl/container, and wipe the excess lather off the outside with a towel, and that's it. Really, there is no need to make it any more complicated than that.

Are we only talking about hard soaps or soft italian soaps too? I have a few RazoRock (La Famiglia, Artisan, Fresco) and I just leave any extra lather and throw the lid back on once I'm done shaving. Is this a bad habit to be in?

This is exactly what I do too. I've never thought about cleaning off the extra lather.

I just leave it there, and leave the lid off for a while to dry. I have to think rinsing under running water would severely decrease the lifespan (which, as someone already mentioned, might actually be a desirable outcome).

if i am switching soaps for the rotation, i give a quick rinse, pad dry with towel and air dry for 10-15 minutes, then seal it up till the next use.

if i am using it the next day, i just leave the lather on the puck to dry while i clean up and brush my teeth, then i close the lid. the next day it disappears as soon as my wet brush hits it.

Last edited:
I squeeze the excess lather from my brush back into the shave soap bowl and leave it alone. Lather=soap, it either should be on your face, or in the bowl. It's a waste to wash it down the drain.

After loading the brush, I run my fingers over the soap to scoop up the excess lather. Then, I apply it to my face by hand. Then, I proceed with my face lather. I don't like to waste that lather by washing it down the drain. A little lather is left on the puck, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

After loading the brush, I run my fingers over the soap to scoop up the excess lather. Then, I apply it to my face by hand. Then, I proceed with my face lather. I don't like to waste that lather by washing it down the drain. A little lather is left on the puck, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

yes, i do that too. i after i lather on the puck, before placing it down, i run my finer over the top of the soap and all around the edges to get all the thick, creamy stuff. then i add it to my bowl or mug or scuttle, whatever i'll be placing my brush in if i'm using one. if not, i smear it on my face for the 1st pass and lather up.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Too simple for a B&B answer, Marco. Here is a more complex approach:

1. Turn your hot water on, and allow to run for 1 minute 43 seconds. You may hear people say that 1 minute is enough, but trust me on this, the extra 43 seconds is time well spent.

2. Purchase a reasonably priced pH test kit. You want your rinse water to be absolutely neutral, otherwise di-phenol based petrification can occur on the top layer, which can adversely affect a tallow soap. If your pH is anything but 7, you'll need to add an acid or base to bring the number to 7. I'd call a water purification expert and consult with them on how to get your water back to a usable pH.

3. The temperature must be exactly 100 Farenheit. You don't have to be exact, 101 or 99 is fine, but nothing outside that range.

4. Run the water over the surface of the soap, with a flow rate between .72gpm and .75gpm. Do not run the water in the center, maintain a flow on the edges and turn your soap at a COUNTERclockwise (northern hemisphere) or CLOCKwise (southern hemisphere) rate of 10 to 10.324 rpm.

5. Rinse for 1 minute 12 seconds.

6. Allow the soap to rest for 6-8 hours in a climate controlled 71 degree room, with no more than a 10% humidity factor. Buy a reasonably priced de-humidification system for your entire house if need be. (hey, a good shave is worth it).

7. Once the resting period is over, you MUST put the cover back on the soap within 20-24 minutes.

8. Allow the soap to fully rest and recover for 6 days after this.

YMMV

(Yes, that was all BS...do not do ANY of that...Marco was dead on)

Sounds reasonable.

1. Turn your hot water on, and allow to run for 1 minute 43 seconds. You may hear people say that 1 minute is enough, but trust me on this, the extra 43 seconds is time well spent.
8. Allow the soap to fully rest and recover for 6 days after this.

OMG, that's exactly what I do! :lol:

Top Bottom