Thread: Customized ER 1924's

Images

Default Customized ER 1924's

I am not a fan of gold razors but the custom cutout's on these are really cool. Way over priced but still cool. Makes me wonder if we could do that to one now...add our own initials. Anyway, enjoy..http://www.ebay.com/itm/270981744597...#ht_500wt_1129
    Last edited by ShavinBacon; 05-20-2012 at 06:54 PM.

I had seen those on the 'bay and thought they where beautiful. Too bad my initials are AC and not AM
    They need to make it easier to delete an account.

Those are really nice, I'll be curious to see if anyone spends that much for them.
    Tom--- Founding member of The ALPHA Team!
    If laughter is the best medicine then why do sick people go to doctors instead of comedians?

4. Default

They look nice but not 100 bucks nice, also it would of been Helpful if only one had AM and the Other PM
    Last edited by ERVARGASNY; 05-21-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    Im just having fun :o)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ShavinBacon View Post
    I am not a fan of gold razors but the custom cutout's on these are really cool. Way over priced but still cool. Makes me wonder if we could do that to one now...add our own initials. Anyway, enjoy..http://www.ebay.com/itm/270981744597...#ht_500wt_1129
    That's the goofy seller who doubled his prices after they failed to sell first go-around. He had a Damaskeene for $35 that failed to sell...now it's listed for $75! Same same with these custom headed razors. They were listed at $50 I believe first time around. I can't wait to see his prices if these fail to sell.
    Last edited by retturn2blades; 05-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by retturn2blades View Post
    That's the goofy seller who doubled his prices after they failed to sell first go-around. He had a Damaskeene for $35 that failed to sell...now it's listed for $75! Same same with these custom headed razors. They were listed at $50 I believe first time around. I can't wait to see his prices if these fail to sell.
    I had actually shot him a message on eBay about that since he has a make offer button. To paraphrase what I wrote, "I would have made you an offer of $20 for the Damaskeene, but now that you have more than doubled the price after re-listing I doubt you would take it."

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Plainview View Post
    I had actually shot him a message on eBay about that since he has a make offer button. To paraphrase what I wrote, "I would have made you an offer of $20 for the Damaskeene, but now that you have more than doubled the price after re-listing I doubt you would take it."
    I may have actually been the one to set him off. Right after his Damaskeene didn't sell, I sent him an offer of $30 which I thought was a good offer given I bought others for $12. He wrote me a short note that all items had been relisted. When I looked I was taken aback by the price increase.

So, it should be interesting if he responds to your message, and what he says.

Doing that kind of work today would be easy to do with a laser cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by retturn2blades View Post
    I may have actually been the one to set him off. Right after his Damaskeene didn't sell, I sent him an offer of $30 which I thought was a good offer given I bought others for $12. He wrote me a short note that all items had been relisted. When I looked I was taken aback by the price increase.

So, it should be interesting if he responds to your message, and what he says.
    Zilch, Nada, Nothing. I am not surprised. Sellers like this have no moral or ethical ground to stand on.

I have a similar razor, so I wonder what makes this a prototype besides the "gold plating"?

- Lou

Images

Lou, I don't see any etching on the head of ur 1924. Did u attach the wrong pic? I would love to see more of these etched heads if people have them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShavinBacon View Post
    Lou, I don't see any etching on the head of ur 1924. Did u attach the wrong pic? I would love to see more of these etched heads if people have them.
    The way I read the blurb in the ad, "2 Vintage One of a kind, Gold Ever-Ready Safety Razors. These razor came from the estate of a gentleman that worked for the American Safety Razor Company, they are both prototype razors that never went into production.", the implication was that razors were gold prototypes that never went into production. I would imagine ASR couldn't manufacture personalized razors with initials. I also wonder if they are indeed gold plated, as I thought ASR never made gold plated razors, just gold tone razors.
    - Lou

Quote Originally Posted by DunEdinRanger View Post
    The way I read the blurb in the ad, "2 Vintage One of a kind, Gold Ever-Ready Safety Razors. These razor came from the estate of a gentleman that worked for the American Safety Razor Company, they are both prototype razors that never went into production.", the implication was that razors were gold prototypes that never went into production. I would imagine ASR couldn't manufacture personalized razors with initials. I also wonder if they are indeed gold plated, as I thought ASR never made gold plated razors, just gold tone razors.
    I took it to mean that they were prototypes of the customization concept. Whether or not that's true or complete hogwash, I couldn't say. The razors themselves just look to be standard 1924-styles, which were clearly production models.

I do have a 1924-style that was given away by Sears & Roebuck with an inscription on the head, but that was simple stamping and not a pierced design:

Porter
    Safety Razor Forum Steward

Git along! The 2014 Roundup is on! Contribute today to be eligible to win.
    The only constant in all your bad shaves is you.

Pulling a photo over for posterity:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$%28KGrHqNHJDcE-o13oU%29NBPsulYtL8Q~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	245762
    Porter

15. Default

@ Daniel Offer him $150.00 Maybe he will respond, "i'll think about it"
    Im just having fun :o)

Images

I like the one that is just a design. Seems well executed, it's not just a cutout, but also engraved. Do you think the openings in the head would make enough of a difference that you would feel it in the shave? SEs always seem to me to "suck" to your face (is that surface tension?) with their large, flat surfaces.

-jim
    Acceptable: Zounds! Balderdash! Jumping Jehoshaphat! harumph! Add smileys to all of my posts. Put them where you think they ought to go.

The gin, the gin, glows in the dark, glows in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by gearchow View Post
    Do you think the openings in the head would make enough of a difference that you would feel it in the shave? SEs always seem to me to "suck" to your face (is that surface tension?) with their large, flat surfaces.
    It does make sense that they would act like the scallops in a granton blade or the holes in a soft cheese knife, to break the adhesion to your wet face. But I'd be worried about the cut-out elements in the design getting bent slightly over time -- particularly the tips in the leaf/petal motif on the sides -- so that they scratched your face.
    Porter

18. Default

I'd say the pair are "lookers" not "users."