What's new

Review: Pharmacist's Darkening Absinthe Ink

This review is an original of mine that I am also sharing here in hopes it will be useful as a resource.

TWSBI Diamond 540
Ink Form: Hammermill Tidal MP
Handwritten Page 1: AMPAD efficiency Legal Pad
Handwritten Page 2: Staples Sustainable Earth Legal Pad

Am I really subjecting one of my beloved TWSBIs to an iron gall ink? Yep! I chose it because after inking two cheap Hero models with the other two colors of Pharmacist’s ink (aside from the original), it only made sense to me to put something more at risk. I think the only damage concern would be the nib, and I have been wanting a reason to buy an italic replacement nib anyway! I also thought it would be a good idea to try one of the inks in a broad nib I know to be on the slightly wet side (note: most TWSBIs in my experience are a bit dry but this particular one is a bit wet).

After each ink fill, I thought the color (of Pharmacist’s ink) I chose was my favorite. This one, however, is definitely the best. I am detecting some shading, but that may disappear with oxidation (it did not).

The ink really isn’t all that dry. I would say the pen writes about average on wetness when it was a +1 wet before with other ink.

These inks are available only by contacting Pharmacist on Fountain Pen Network and awaiting a batch to be prepared. He charges a reasonable approximately $40 shipped for the three “fancy” iron gall inks (this one, Oriens-Occidens orange-brown, and Terra Incinerata mossy green-brown). The inks come in handy plastic bottles, but I may buy and repurpose empty Sailor or other similar bottles for these inks.

I am straining to come up with a color comparison to these colors, but I am coming up with nothing. I do not know if Pharmacist is a pharmacist or what his day job may be, but I think these inks are so promising that he could be the next Nathan Tardif or Jansen. If not, I hope his hobbyist ink making continues so the rest of you will be able to experience the joys of this ink for yourselves.

I will be adding a water test of the bottom part of the ink review form and some other things as I get them prepared!

Video of the oxidation -- I thought my phone was in horizontal mode but it wasn't:

Ink form scans (before and after water test):

Darkening Absinthe by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Ink form photo (before water test):

Darkening Absinthe Photo 2 by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Photo showing oxidation from bottom to top:

Darkening Absinthe photo by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Handwritten review duplicating content above:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have his a few bottles from Nelson's second batch of i-g and really like it. His news colors of i-g look wonderful...love that color and shading. Thanks for the review.

strop

Now half as wise
That looks very interesting! Thanks. I will have to check these out. I've got a Preppy that I could sacrifice. Let us know how the nib holds up in actual usage.

I have had some feedback elsewhere that the iron gall content is likely so low (lower than the normal iron gall ink by Pharmacist I hear) that there should likely be no issues. I will certainly be monitoring for any problems and will report them.

Top Bottom