What's new

Suggest a nice knife in the $75 range

If he's an outdoor type, I'd strongly recommend the Ka-Bar Becker BK-2. It's built like a tank, made in the USA and comes with one hell of a warranty (lifetime).

I like ESEE knives, but find that the slab scales are not very ergonomic, though I do like my paracord-wrapped Izula. For a modern style folder, I'd suggest a Spyderco Para 2, but I think it's a bit over your budget; great knife though. As far as traditional slipjoint folders go, I'm a big fan of Great Eastern Cutlery, you may be able to find one of their tidioute single blade scout knives with nice bone scales for your pricepoint.

Good luck researching, and let us know what you end up with.

Last I checked, most Cold Steel were made right here in California. They may have some cheaper lines and some of their plastic training/novelty items imported.

And CRKT is not in the same league with Cold Steel. I've been flying a Recon-1 folder for close to 2 years now. I've sharpened it maybe 4 times and it sees hard daily use cutting rope, stripping cable, etc...
I've got a couple of CRKT blades. I class them with Gerber. Okay for the price, but they don't hold an edge.

I'm sure Cold Steel makes some blades in CA, but every time I've looked at their knives the models I thought were decently priced and attractive I was turned off by the country of manufacture. This one for example is made in Taiwan: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS58TLAK/Cold-Steel-AK-47-Folding-Knife-3-12-inch-Blade-G10-Handles At $77 it's not exactly a bargain basement model. Another example for $60: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...man-Folding-Knife-3-12-inch-Blade-G10-Handles This one sells for about $85 http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...anded-Opener-4-12-inch-Blade-Aluminum-Handles also made in taiwan.

FWIW, Spyderco has some of their models made in Taichung, Taiwan and they're outstanding quality; comparable, if not superior to models made in Seki City, Japan or Golden City, Colorado. I guess it all depends on the original manufacturer/developer and their quality standards, I suppose. I know Cold Steel =/= Spyderco, but I wouldn't put off a knife simply because it's made in a certain country.

If you're bound and determined to buy a knife made in the US, just disregard my post. I totally understand.

FWIW, Spyderco has some of their models made in Taichung, Taiwan and they're outstanding quality; comparable, if not superior to models made in Seki City, Japan or Golden City, Colorado. I guess it all depends on the original manufacturer/developer and their quality standards, I suppose. I know Cold Steel =/= Spyderco, but I wouldn't put off a knife simply because it's made in a certain country.
+1

Most of the KaBar line is now made in Taiwan.
SOG is no longer Japanese.

+1

Most of the KaBar line is now made in Taiwan.

But the Becker line of knives are totally US made, if that's what's important to you. I go for the US made gear myself, but have heard some say that the Taiwan Spyderco knives are of their highest quality.

I second the Blur. You can pick one up at. Walmart for around $60. I bought a 2nd one because I like them so much and wanted to keep one in my vest at all times.

If you're bound and determined to buy a knife made in the US, just disregard my post. I totally understand.

I'm not going to get into an argument about who has the best quality, because there really isn't a clear answer, all I can say is that there are some domestic companies that manufacture high quality knives in the USA and there are domestic companies that import high quality knives and there are companies that do both, price doesn't necessarily indicate where a product is made anymore. If buying domestic goods is of any importance to you, it's worth putting in some time to research who makes what and where.

I'm not going to get into an argument about who has the best quality, because there really isn't a clear answer, all I can say is that there are some domestic companies that manufacture high quality knives in the USA and there are domestic companies that import high quality knives and there are companies that do both, price doesn't necessarily indicate where a product is made anymore. If buying domestic goods is of any importance to you, it's worth putting in some time to research who makes what and where.

Quite true. And for the most part, price is a pretty good indicator, with quite a few exceptions.
One exception is "signature" lines. The Gerber "Bear Grills" multitool is simply a Suspension with a BG logo... and a $20 premium (significant difference, the basic Suspension is $25-$30)
But for the most part, a $20 Gerber is a very nice... $20 knife. It's not going to hold it's edge, and it's going to be difficult to get a good edge back on it. The running joke at my shop before I bought the Recon was "Oh no, you unfolded the Gerber, time to sharpen it" That wasn't far from the truth. It is now relegated to cleaning dirt and grass from around traffic signal pull boxes, and jamming into dirt and grass looking for buried pull box lids.

I actually had surprisingly good luck with a Gerber Big Rock plain edge. The sheath sucks, but it's a $40 knife. I abused the crap out of it in the worst conditions possible. A good example was batonning it through some seasoned twisted oak logs about 3.5-4" in diameter, in 17* weather. I was honestly surprised it didn't snap. Do I recommend doing this? Not at all. I have plenty of knives, so I wasn't super concerned about it breaking. Obviously the ESEE 5 would have blown through that stuff, but this thing really surprised me. I think the biggest issue, and especially with Gerber, is consistency from knife to knife, even in the same exact model. I got a really good example of the knife, and I know others that have broken them while whittling things with them. Spend a little more on a known quality knife, and know exactly what you're getting. Typically knives that have a lifetime warranty never need to use them. Keep in mind the difference in what companies consider "abuse" though.

Ya... sometimes they amaze me.
We were digging a trench a couple of weeks ago and ran into a pretty hefty root... maybe 3-4" around.
Boss went back to his truck to get the battery powered sawz-all.
When he left, I whipped out the Recon. By the time he got back, I had hatchet-chopped all the way through the root on one side of the trench and was halfway through the other side.

I've got a couple of CRKT blades. I class them with Gerber. Okay for the price, but they don't hold an edge.

But that has everything to do with blade steel, type of edge, and angle of edge. Some CRKTs have better steel than some Cold Steels and vice versa.
Some Cold Steels have better edges than some CRKTs and vice versa.

I'm completely put off CRKT. IME, the quality just isn't there, even with higher priced models. That certain lock the folders have (forget the name) just isn't my cup of tea, either.

Cold Steel makes some excellent products and some pretty flimsy ones. Cold Steel vs. Everyone Else is basically just a Ford vs. Chevy debate for knives. I don't really like the marketing tactics they use and you'll probably never find me with carrying one of their products.

Just one man's opinion.

I share your opinion. It's an informed opinion. And for the record, I'm not a CRKT fan, either, but for completely different reasons. BTW, it is called the Autolawk and it's nobody's cup of tea.

I'm sure Cold Steel makes some blades in CA, but every time I've looked at their knives the models I thought were decently priced and attractive I was turned off by the country of manufacture.

You weren't at all turned off by the fact that they look like ninja death weapons? I believe the term used in the knife forums to describe Cold Steel, Strider, etc. is Mall Ninja.

I know Cold Steel =/= Spyderco, but I wouldn't put off a knife simply because it's made in a certain country.

What does "Cold Steel =/= Spyderco" mean? I know it doesn't mean that Cold Steel and Spyderco are more or less equal, because that's crazy talk.:lol:

Guys,

After looking at all of your suggestions... I think I am going with an ESEE, either a 4, 3 or one of the IZULA knives. Thanks for all of the help!

nrv216

Score! I use an ESEE 3 on my hiking pack; it fits perfectly on the shoulder strap for easy access. Really great for all purpose camp use.

Top Bottom