What's new

Fatip review

Prepped by taking a hot shower and applying 5 drops of Beard Magic oil. Loaded with a Super Max Plat. The shave was incredibility smooth no pulling or tugging I was quite surprised. 2 passes WTG 2 passes ATG not quite as close as the R41 but a DFS none the less. I am going to try a Shark for the next shave and see if that helps a bit. All told I like it after the first shave I think experimenting with blades and angle may give me better results. The weight and balance I feel are better than the R41 but the shave is not as close. Will update tomorrow.

I have found that the Fatip like almost any razor has that "sweet spot" with shave angle and various blade combos.

I find it milder than the R41, but still delievers a very close and smooth shave. Nice review... Keep up the good shaves!!

I'm curious? Does the Fatip still come in a blue & white carton that says something in Italian about "ottone" on the side? Translated it means that the razor is made entirely of brass, which is a rare thing these days.

I'm curious? Does the Fatip still come in a blue & white carton that says something in Italian about "ottone" on the side? Translated it means that the razor is made entirely of brass, which is a rare thing these days.
Yep sure does!!

Mine did. As for a shark blade. I've found for me these work best in the piccolo. Had a terrible shave yesterday morning as I nicked myself on the jaw line and it bleed for several mins. Latley I've got a lot of ingrowns, work stress and a change of Cholesterol meds hasn't helped. I think the Fatip may be just a tab too aggressive at the moment. Still a great shave and very smooth. Do they do a closed comb?

I've been getting great results with both the Piccolo and the Grande using a Astra SP,pretty smooth and I dont consider the Astra's to be a smooth blade like a 7 O'Clock Black is.

I got a pack of Astras with the razor I may try one. I have never been a big fan of them though.

2nd day with the Super Max Plat same prep got another DFS. I just changed to a Shark so I will update tomorrow.

I got a pack of Astras with the razor I may try one. I have never been a big fan of them though.
They work well enough. But the personna lab blades are outstanding.

I have a grande (Muhle) in chrome--but saw a vendor on e-bay with a nickel-plated version. So now it looks like I'll have 3 of them--grande, grande, piccolo.

Last edited:
Just got my Fatip from MAGUIRES on ebay today.
Placed an astra blade and went straight to my MWF to try it out hearing great reviews on it from the guys here.
$DSC00086.jpg$DSC00087.jpg
As i love the r41 i had to try this also and it was great and less aggressive just as was stated.
Now don't get me wrong you still have to watch it as a lot of blade shows but it is a lot more forgiving than the r41 for me.
I could actually shave more quickly without the feel that it was going to hurt me.
Great bbs shave with pretty much ease as my slims,fatboys, and merkurs.
Now the quality is not like the Muhle but not too shabby also for under 40 bucks shipped to my house in Canada.
$DSC00088.jpg$DSC00089.jpg
It is much shorter than the r41,and a little bit shorter than the merkur 34c.
It also seems to be heavier to me than the r41(but have not weighed it.)
The feel in your hands is also pretty awesome.
In my opinion i think great little razor and really glad i purchased it.
Still love my Muhle though.

It is much shorter than the r41,and a little bit shorter than the merkur 34c.
It also seems to be heavier to me than the r41(but have not weighed it.)
The feel in your hands is also pretty awesome.
In my opinion i think great little razor and really glad i purchased it.
Still love my Muhle though.

I have the Grande in nickel which is really the same head just with a longer, thicker, hollow handle so it weighs slightly less. I also think it is a great little razor although I like to pair it up with an Ikon Bulldog handle which weighs about twice as much as the Grande handle and gives it that more definite feel.

Congratulations on your new FaTip, I hope you will continue to enjoy it.

I have the fatip grande and an R41 Muhle from 2009. The fatip does not perform as well for me- but I used an Atrs AP whereas in the Muhle I have used Sharps SC. I need to try a Shark in the Fatip to compare. The two razors look identical!

Another new and proud owner of the Fatip Piccolo.
The razor looks very good for the money and gives a very close shave. It requires a light hand and much more caution then some of the other razors I've tried. My judgement is based on just one shaving experience, but I already know that this little shaver is going in the rotation for sure.

Just got my Fatip from MAGUIRES on ebay today.
Placed an astra blade and went straight to my MWF to try it out hearing great reviews on it from the guys here.

According to Ebay, this store no longer exists. Where else can I get this razor at a good price?

Top Bottom