What's new

"Poor Man's" Brushes: A Guide to 5 Good Cheap Brushes

I have also found the joy of using low priced brushes. I have recently added a Semogue 1460 and a Vulfix 28 both were under $20 apiece. They are little over two months old are breaking in really nicely. I think if people were to try boars, let them mature into the great brushes they can be they will be surprised at heir softness.

There are many great choices of brushes for under $25. This was great article thanks for sharing.

For the UK members, the Wilkinson's 60 pence (94 cents) brush that I recently bought when I returned into DE shaving, actually turns out to be a good performer! I'm still not sure if it's boar or synthetic. When I first started using it it was quite hard and scratchy and DID feel like a 60p brush! Knowing that I was sticking with DE I bought a nice little badger off the 'bay, but last week, (just because it was there in the den), I started using the Wilkinson one again. After a few days it softened up a bit and is now great to use. It doesn't provide the foamy lather of the badger, but it's quite directional and feels good on the skin and is very 'workmanlike' in performance.

Great reviews.

Would you recommend the MM over the Wee Scot for a face latherer? I picked up a Semogue 1438 to replace my Tweezerman and while I like it, I'm not sure that I'm a boar kind of guy. Hence my apprehension about picking up a mixed brush like the MM. I was thinking of saving for the Wee Scot or waiting for one to pop up on the BST.

IMO the Wee is king of the small brushes. It feels really soft and dense with a strong backbone. However, it can be cumbersome to use. For the price of the MM you're taking a small risk. Its a unique feel.

I've had my fair share of cheap brushes. I've tried the Tweezerman, 9.99 made in China ebay specials, mini vie-longs, etc. These have been the keepers. Next on my cheap brush list are some Semogues but they'll come after I "upgrade" first.

Great reviews.

Would you recommend the MM over the Wee Scot for a face latherer? I picked up a Semogue 1438 to replace my Tweezerman and while I like it, I'm not sure that I'm a boar kind of guy. Hence my apprehension about picking up a mixed brush like the MM. I was thinking of saving for the Wee Scot or waiting for one to pop up on the BST.

You might also want to consider the Simpson Special in "Best" I like mine a lot (though not as much as my small Vie-Long). The Special in "Pure" is rather skritchy though, so unless you want to feel abraded by your brush stay away.

Have found the Omega 10029 Baby Pro to be great performing brush that is on the smaller side, but certainly not at small as the Might Midget. Can anyone make a comparison between the two? You guys have gotten my attention with the MM badger/boar mix, may have to make the plunge and order one from WCS.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think the Frank Shaving brushes deserve a mention in this category. The Black and the Pure are under $20 even in large sizes.

Don't forget the range from New Forest..

Huge performance for modest prices. I would put mine up against anything!

My all around #1 brush is still the Tweezerman. I have a Simpson Special in pure and best that have been seeing more playing time as of late but I still like the way The Man feels and lathers slightly better.

This is a very good thread. Saving it for future purchases. Wet shaving IS going to save me money damnit.

I strongly recommend Semogue boars. Break in was quick on my 1305 and its got soft tips and strong backbone, great for everything. I mostly face lather soft soaps and its spectacular for that.

Hi Krona Kruiser: I enjoyed your review. It's nice 2 see budget items performing like a luxury item.

WARHAWK

Thanks. I usually deeply consider my purchases within the price range I can afford at the time (It's usually $20). Now I'm plotting my next purchase within the $50-70 range and I'm indecisive between a Berkley, Commodore, or Colonel.
However, the brushes I listed provide a unique feel and though these brushes are cheap, each one brings something different to the table (or to my face).

Top Bottom