What's new

Sinn vs U-Boat?

Which one would you go with?

• U-Boat

• Sinn U1

• Other (explained in a post)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've got a lot of watches but i've got the bug for another diver style watch. I have no intent on diving with it (I have a Frogman for that) so I can get away with the "poser" looks of a diver with a leather strap and don't care about water resistance ratings.

The two that have caught my eye are:

1.) U-boat Classico with a cream dial.

$45-AS-2-A_FXA.jpg
2.) Sinn U1 (I'd go with the rubber band as for some reason it appeals to me)

$dsc0153zm.jpg

or with a Black bezel

$IMG_4341.jpg

They both have ETA 2824 movement and they're both a similar size. The u-boat is more of a poser watch, but they look sharp, unique and with the cream dial - they really pop but watch enthusiasts hate them as they only have a 100m water resistance rating and they have an unfinished/unmodified movement. The Sinn has a Tegimented bezel is made out of the same steel they make submarine hulls out of, has an absurd 1000M water resistance.

Which one would you go with?

The black bezel Sinn does nothing for my eye, although I do kinda' like that leather band. Purely on appearance alone, the U-Boat is much more interesting and unique to me than the Sinn.

I don't like those metal clasp things on the side of the U-Boat. Too gimicky for my taste. Sinn have a very good reputation when it comes to quality watches and I like the look of it alot more than the U-Boat so the Sinn wuld be my choice.

My friend has a U-Boat. They are very nice. Much nicer in real life.
I personally like the styling of the Sinn. The brand seems to have done lots of nice work engineering the watches to be more useful than stylish.
A good example of that is the Sinn EZM7 which has markings for firefighters to use.
Something to do with the breathing gear they use.

So from an engineering point of view, the Sinn watches are the way to go.
But as you said, if you aren't going to take it 2000m under the water, I guess you just have to go with whatever style you like more.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
SINN!!! Without a doubt! Have two Sinn's myself and they are now quite old, about 25 years, but still working strong. They were sold to me by Helmut Sinn personally. These were the first all Titanium watches sold, at the time no other company was selling them.

Well, you got me curious, so...after reading many reviews (commercial and watch forums) of both watches, I would go for the Sinn.

Also, after looking at e-bay to get some price points, I saw one with what appears to be a off-white, perhaps cream face. I thought you might find that interesting if it's the cream face of the U-Boat that's hooking you. Not sure if it was an older model or whatever.

There is a certain (more than I would have liked to see) talk about Sinn U1 knock-offs. I suppose you would be getting yours from an AD, so perhaps no worries there. But they specifically talked about the hands of the knock-offs having some orange in them. Not the stunning red from Sinn. Also something about the back case that is a tell.

Go Sinn.

Well keep in mind the subs you see with surface rust have likely spent years in salt water.

There's really nothing to think about. Sinn are the business, U-Boat are...really not. The Germans have got it covered with watches and there is nothing superfluous about them. A perfect 3-watch group would be Damasko DA-36, Sinn U1 and any Nomos.

Last edited:
Sinn U1 without a doubt. Almost pulled the trigger on one a few years ago, but never did. Wish I would have now, since I could have saved myself about $500. A big plus is if you decide it's not for you, it is a easy flip. You will be giving the U-boat away.

My friend

Sinn is an exceptional watch. The man that owns Sinn, is known for making aviator/dive watches.
He in the late 1950 time fram, was a CEA of A lange Sonn I believe.
Sinn is a great watch.

Look at Schaumberg for dive, and Kobold as well.
U Boat is great.
Do your research, you will find that the German watches, you can not go wrong.
Also look at Muehle Glashutte for dive, and Jorg Shauer who does Stowa, a cheaper watch, but very nice.

Also, a new comer Steinhart, look at these, word is a Rolex competitor in the making. But a nice outdoor, dive watch.

Good Luck
Jimmy

Another vote for the Sinn here.
Very nice, stylish watches.

Here (in The Netherlands), some would even consider the U-boat less than classy!

Stowa is an old WW2 german u boat watch. Run by Gorg schauer now.
look at muehle glashutte an old nautical clock maker does dive watches
sinn is great look at others
steinhart cheaper
Schumberg dies a dive watch
Kobold here in us does extreme watches nice as well

mtm watches does spec ops watches incl navy seal watch anotherr. To look at

All are nice
Nice day
Jim

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
There's really nothing to think about. Sinn are the business, U-Boat are...really not. The Germans have got it covered with watches and there is nothing superfluous about them. A perfect 3-watch group would be Damasko DA-36, Sinn U1 and any Nomos.

+1.

The Sinn is a real watch. The U-Boat is a fun watch.

i like the u-boat ( i feel like i always have a dissenting fashion opinion here on B&B). since this is just going t be a fashion accessory, if i understand correctly, i like the u-boat way more than the sinn styling...

the u-boat doesn't appear to look cheaply made and it's way more interesting to me.. in fact, i like it a lot... on first glance...

If I were just buying it on looks, I prefer the U-Boat. I have seen a couple on people here and quite like the look of them. The Sinn doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Top Bottom