What's new

Real Men Carry Their Briefcases?

It seems to me that it varies on where in Europe you are. In Norway, there are very few people carrying attache cases anymore, most will carry computer bags of some sort, using the straps for what they're worth. Hence, here, you may do as you please.

As you may know, I recently ordered a Mitchell Classic Briefcase. I intend to use the strap quite a bit, and the quick detachment of the strap will allow me to stow it when needed.

I've got a Saddleback thin breifcase, and have carried both with and without the strap depending on the situation. Normal, everyday trips to the office find with with the strap attached -- we're business casual most of the week with jeans on Fridays. I had a potential client presentation with bankers in New Jersey last week where I was wearing a suit, so the strap came off for the meeting. I packed it away in my luggage, and reattached it for the trip home.

Cheers!

My suggestion is to wait until you arrive, see what the situation is, and buy one there. As someone who has lived and worked overseas for years, the "when in Rome" adage holds.

Form follows function. Know what you need to carry. Being able to store it all and find it quickly should be your first criterion. Then determine whether you are comfortable with a strap or a handle only. Also, do you travel a lot. If so, then absolutely plan on getting caught in the rain. Some bags are better than others with rain. It also means you might have an additional piece of luggage. A strap comes in handy those times.

What industry are you in? Law and finance are quite conservative, but media and advertising require that you show a bit more dash.

Finally comes personal style. While Europe is much more formal than the US in business attire, there is substantial scope for personal preference in the matter of briefcases. Exercise it.

Form follows function. Know what you need to carry. Being able to store it all and find it quickly should be your first criterion. Then determine whether you are comfortable with a strap or a handle only. Also, do you travel a lot. If so, then absolutely plan on getting caught in the rain. Some bags are better than others with rain. It also means you might have an additional piece of luggage. A strap comes in handy those times.
Absolutely agree with this

Finally comes personal style. While Europe is much more formal than the US in business attire, there is substantial scope for personal preference in the matter of briefcases. Exercise it.
Europe cannot be seen as a whole with regards to formality any more than the US can. In Germany in general, and in the larger British cities, conservative formality is the watchword, while in Norway, regular business attire ranges from jeans and a polo to a suit and tie.

It all depends on what industry you are in, and what your role is. If you are a financial consultant, more formal is obviously better, while if you are an IT consultant, dressing down a bit is more likely to be the right choice.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but is anyone going to care? I mean, if you're going straight from the office via car to finalise a multi-million Euro deal, then fine, leave the strap in your desk, but isn't this a tiny tiny thing to worry about? I see many pieces of advice, such as "Don't wear gold after 5pm". You ditch your wedding ring then? Or does this mean only a slob buys a gold wedding ring? Well-dressed is well-dressed, fine; a suit has to fit, shoes have to be clean, don't wear luminous green shirts to have a chat with your bank manager; we get it. But I believe many of these rules are ir-relevant and were even back in those golden days when everyone's father supposedly came home to a newly-poured highball and warm apple pie. Few people are even aware of, never mind follow these archaic observances.
"Real men carry a briefcase".
That's just silly.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but is anyone going to care? I mean, if you're going straight from the office via car to finalise a multi-million Euro deal, then fine, leave the strap in your desk, but isn't this a tiny tiny thing to worry about? I see many pieces of advice, such as "Don't wear gold after 5pm". You ditch your wedding ring then? Or does this mean only a slob buys a gold wedding ring? Well-dressed is well-dressed, fine; a suit has to fit, shoes have to be clean, don't wear luminous green shirts to have a chat with your bank manager; we get it. But I believe many of these rules are ir-relevant and were even back in those golden days when everyone's father supposedly came home to a newly-poured highball and warm apple pie. Few people are even aware of, never mind follow these archaic observances.
That's just silly.

Well, does anyone really care about the kind of razor you use, how you tie your tie, or whether you wear synthetic shirts? This forum exists for the minority of people who do care about these things.

I think in fact it is a public forum allowing a free exchange of ideas regarding clothing etc. I'm all for giving/getting good information and opinions. That is mine.

I think in fact it is a public forum allowing a free exchange of ideas regarding clothing etc. I'm all for giving/getting good information and opinions. That is mine.

OK fine. Obviously what I meant was that this was the kind of forum where it is perfectly normal to have this kind of conversation. That is why I come here for advice.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My choice would be simple.

If I have to carry a lot of heavy crap over a long distance, I will use a strap. I would prefer to be seen as a practical man than an arbitrarily conservative and conformist man.

If I am to carry a light load over a shorter distance, the handle alone is more convenient.

It is preferable to carry the light load. If in doubt, leave it out. Carry the essentials only.

I prefer to carry my briefcase, but it's nice to have the strap available in case I need to have my hands free, such as when I'm standing on the subway and reading.

The biggest reason not to carry a briefcase with a shoulder strap is that the strap gets in the way when you carry the briefcase by the handle. Stuffing the strap inside seems a poor option.

The first thing I do when purchasing a case is to ditch the strap.

Sensible advice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a little amused that the strop is such an issue. Not surprised, given the setting.

ftfy ... now I'll move this thread to the straight-razor section. :001_rolle

That's just silly.

Well, does anyone really care about the kind of razor you use, how you tie your tie, or whether you wear synthetic shirts? This forum exists for the minority of people who do care about these things.

OK fine. Obviously what I meant was that this was the kind of forum where it is perfectly normal to have this kind of conversation. That is why I come here for advice.

... is it just me, or did that exchange come off a bit testier than either participant likely intended?

Yes, we're here to discuss all sorts of gentlemanly pursuits. We focus on ... obsess over ... the finer details of those pursuits. We're not here for "good enough" but for ... superlative. We tweak the tiniest detail to get just a little bit better. Some things, though, don't matter. Will my tie be better-tied if I face true north when I tie it? Of course not. (We all know it's magnetic north that matters ...) Should I put my left cufflink in first or second? Now there's a big debating point. :001_rolle

Now, if you want to discuss whether a windsor knot or 4-in-hand is better for a tie, or whether cufflinks or buttons are better for an interview ... now you're cookin' with gas.

Some "details" are too minute to bother discussing. Some are worth discussing. It's also a valid discussion to debate which category a particular detail falls into. Just don't get emotionally invested in the discussion. (And yes, "don't wear gold after 6pm" is silly.)

"Real men carry their briefcases" is far to much of a blanket statement to carry any weight.
If he said "in this company/area/industry/etc, it's customary to....." I would agree, but throwing out such a silly rule as if it applies across the board just shows you've asked the wrong person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom