What's new

Newbie - starting over at 32

I started over at 37. I'm in Colorado as well, (little obvious).. What store are you referring to? All my purchases have been on line or at the local Wal-Mart or Walgreens for aftershaves and such.

Its the Colorado Shaver Center in Englewood. I haven't been in yet, but seems they carry a (limited) supply of DE's, certain blades, straight blades. I'm assuming since they have this they will also have some soaps/creams/accessories as well. Going over there after work today if possible, so i'll post an update with the details.

I don't expect a super shaving store or anything, but to have some place local with some supplies would be great.

You're welcome, cross. I look forward to your updates.

I also want to mention there is a national retail shaving supply and service chain of stores called The Art of Shaving. You can find them in most major city's malls. According to their website (http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-TAOS-Site/default) there are stores in Denver and LoneTree. Decide for yourself if this is usefull. But one cool thing is, if you buy from them, they will give you a lesson on how to shave using their products. The one local to me had a full fledged old-timey barber on staff ready to shave me and/or give me a lesson. It was cool just to see it with my own eyes. They have 3-4 scents and all are fairly nice. They also sell kits that include one of three tiers of brushes. I think they're a little overpriced but that's just my opinion. Usefull information, none the less.

Wow, I know of AOS goods but thought it was just a product line mostly sold in other stores and online. There is one practically across the street from my work, where I'm sitting now. Guess I'll have to give them a visit, maybe get a shave. Never had a professional shave before...

Edit:
Ok, got my sample creme pack ordered up. Picked up a cheap starter kit for now (brush cup puck), figure I can upgrade later. Didn't make it to aos or the shave store, so still no razor.

Last edited:
I take it you went the same route I did with the VDH? :wink2:

If you haven't already come across Ambrose thread on breaking in brushes, here it is http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/139297-How-To-Break-In-A-Brush-amp-Get-The-Funk-Out Give it a try.

Don't worry about piecing your first complete setup together. I had my VDH set for about a week now, and only today recieved the order I placed for my razor, blades, soaps and aftershave. If you're interested you can check out some pictures of my order in the thread titled "And the party begins...".

If you ever do go in to AOS for a professional shave, let me know how it goes.

I started over at 34 and spent only 2 or 3 months with a de before I got into straights. The de use enabled me to understand the brush/lather and no pressure thing without worrying about the straight edge and stropping and edge refreshing

Yes I did go with the VDH. For 9 bucks, it was a start.

Got the brush washed and let it sit overnight. Shaved with the new brush and soap today with my cart since I do not own another razor yet. Skin doesn't feel as tight, and the shave was surprisingly closer. Maybe its just me taking more time and going wtg then atg which usually I had never done. Typically its just a rush job since even when I used to take time it turned out horrid.

Yes I did go with the VDH. For 9 bucks, it was a start.

Got the brush washed and let it sit overnight. Shaved with the new brush and soap today with my cart since I do not own another razor yet. Skin doesn't feel as tight, and the shave was surprisingly closer. Maybe its just me taking more time and going wtg then atg which usually I had never done. Typically its just a rush job since even when I used to take time it turned out horrid.

Wow, you got the kit for $9? That's a good score. Where'd you pick it up from?

I did the same thing, using the brush and soap with a cart before my razor came. It's never too early to start developing some of the skills necessary for DE/straight shaving, like lathering. I also noticed the shave felt very close when using the soap. But then again I would always go atg with a cart.

Welcome aboard the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

I like VDH very much for starting out. I've bought other products to try since then, but not because there was anything wrong with the VDH kit. I'm 39 and just discovered DE shaving a few months back, I wish I had given it a try long ago. Funny how the people that know of my hobby seem to think that I'm the strange one for shaving with a real, honest to goodness razor instead of a "shaving system".

I like VDH very much for starting out. I've bought other products to try since then, but not because there was anything wrong with the VDH kit. I'm 39 and just discovered DE shaving a few months back, I wish I had given it a try long ago. Funny how the people that know of my hobby seem to think that I'm the strange one for shaving with a real, honest to goodness razor instead of a "shaving system".

It's unfortunate but we live in a time where that type of irony runs rampant.

I am eagerly awaiting the DE and SE razors to arrive, courtesy of the generous member doing the PIF. Should be just about shave time when it arrives!

As to the hobby, I get nothing but stares when I bring up my new found interest..

For a lot of people, this concept of old school (non-shave system shaving), is like drinking straight lemon juice. Just pay attention to their face immediately after bringing it up.

I rather like the idea that what we're doing is kind of unique. I'd like to think it takes a person with a higher intellect to brake free from the (programming) system. :001_smile

I'm in Denver. Didn't realize AOS was in cherry crack. I don't get over there too often. But a quick look shows they only carry a few Merkur DE razors and want $12 for a 10 pack of Merkur blades. Colorado shaver center's website seems to be mostly about sales and service for electrics. They do sharpen clipper blades, so that's good to know. Website also says they only sell Meeker DE razors and blades. Update- Google doesn't find anything about a Meeker razor.

Last edited:
Yea, I still haven't been over to that shaver store, but I did go to AOS just to stop in at park meadows. At this point I don't really need anything else so I'm not overly concerned about local suppliers.

The PIF I won arrived yesterday. I now have a SE and DE razor (with a few blades even) to try out, along with a nicer brush and some soap and cream. I already had some cheap soap, and had bought some AOS sandalwood shave cream as well. Had an important meeting today so I shaved with my cart last night (used the soap and brush from the PIF, it was nice!) instead of giving the DE or SE a go. Should be ready for another shave this weekend, can't wait!

Ok, I have a really stupid question, and I don't want to start a new topic. People say in their daily routines that sometimes they lather, use a hot towel, then rinse, then lather and shave. Is the first lather the same product (cream, soap, stick, whatever it may be) as what you use to shave, or is it a preshave product?

Last edited:
Welcome!! I restarted at age 31 so don't feel too bad:) I recommend the Edwin jagger 89 razor, semouge 1305 boar brush, get some arko sticks, or Palmolive shave sticks, (their cheap but act like top shelf stuff), get a few different blades to start, I recommend red Personnas, crystals, Astras, feathers, sharks, and lords.

Welcome to B&B.

Straights ... get Lynn Abrams DVD ... at StraightRazorDesigns.com

After that ...

Everything boils down to personal preferences.

“Best Brush”

A Brush is a Brush and they perform differently and they are different. Boar, Badger, Horsehair, Horsehair/Boar/Badger Combos, or Syns. Get a Boar (cheap or expensive) or a Good Badger Brush.

“Soap/Cream/Stick”

Soap or Cream or Stick ... Stick or Cream or Soap ... cheap or expensive ... expensive or cheap ... glycerin based, cold processed, tripled milled, or tallow. Get a couple of each and see what works best for you.

“Safety Razor”

Safety Razors ... determine what you want and how much you are willing to spend - Open Comb, Closed Comb, TTOs, 2-Piece, 3-Piece or an adjustable. The Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89 are both good beginning Safety Razors. Or get an Old Gillette (SuperSpeed or 3-Piece).

“Razor Blades”

Blades ... Get a Sampler Pack and then ... Good Luck. The differences between whether a Blade is Good or Bad for any individual is because the Hand of God is at work. Maybe it is the shave preparation, or maybe it is the type of hairs being shaven, or maybe it is the patterns on the face being shaven, or the type of Razor being used (different angles or blade gaps are created by the different razor head being used), or the shaving technique being used (wrong angle, too much pressure being used and pushing down on the razor to "cut closer", or even not using multiple-passes to reduce hair growth first and always), or maybe there is one or two Bad Blades in the pack being used, or maybe for whatever reason it is a Bad Blade to you.

”Best Blade”

At first use only One Razor Blade ... use this blade only for a few weeks ... changing when dull.

The First Razor Blade you use is your “Best Blade.”

Get several of your First Best Blade.

Get down the Basics of Shaving – Preparation, Lathering, Shaving with the Razor – light touch, proper angle and little pressure, Multi-Passes – WTG, XTG, and Reverse-XTG.

Get more information and look at the Mantic59 Youtube videos, the GeoFatBoy videos and read the Wiki.

“Finding Your Best Blade”

After you have everything down ... then use a different blade for a week and see if it becomes your new "Best Blade".

If not go back to the other blade for a week then, use a different blade for a week.

Your Best Blade is your base line blade for your tests. When you find your “Next Best Blade” then, that is your “New Best Blade”. Continue working through your sampler pack looking for a “New Best Blade”.

Please note that Different Safety Razors may have a different “Best Blade” and if you have poor technique then it will also affect your choice of a “New Best Blade”.

“Map Your Face”

Make Sure you have Mapped Your Face because that is the only way to know which way your hair grows.

“Technique”

Also make sure that your preshave preparation is down.

Then shave WTG, XTG and Reverse-XTG.

Rinse, Lather, WTG
Rinse, Lather, XTG
Rinse, Lather, Reverse-XTG
Rinse, Lather, Buffing.

No Rinse, No Lather, No Shave.

For the first few weeks ... Do not do ATG ... Wait until you have your technique down because you could and usually will be holding the safety razor upside down when shaving your neck and this may cause you some problems when trying to maintain the correct blade angle while applying a light pressure.

Be careful of Feather blades as they are super sharp and unforgiving make sure you are confident of your technique before using them.

Have Fun Shaving and May All Your Shaves Be BBS.

Had my first shave today with the DE from the PIF here. Think they were Astra blades?
Anywho I was a bit nervous and kept thinking 'zero pressure man, zero pressure...'

So, I ended up with no nicks or cuts, no razor burn, but some patchy areas left. You can't really tell unless you are me, or you are up close to me.

Just need to be more confident next time and i'm sure it will turn out better, but I am stoked I didn't cut myself or need to finish with another razor!

Used my non-soap face stuff in the shower, brush soaking
used one of the samples I got recently, ultimate shave cream and after shave

Heres to a long journey ahead :straight:

Top Bottom