What's new

Gillette TechMatic: World's worst razor?

Agreed. Terrible design. Makes you wonder how in the world this got through all the layers of approval, market studies, pre-production tests, etc. Must have been a pet project of some higher-up.

Gillette's Edsel.

About a month or so ago, I decided that I would like to have a Techmatic for old-times' sake, because it was the very first safety razor I ever owned - around 1973 when I was a junior in high school.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a nice one on eBay ("Make An Offer") with a case that seemed to be in especially good condition. The included cartridge did not have any unused edges. I had a nice online exchange will the seller, and we agreed on a fair price,
keeping in mind that I would have to find cartridges elsewhere. As it turned out, getting the best price for a cartridge meant buying another Techmatic - no case, but including one cartridge with four remaining edges, and another in original packaging.

A few days later, the first razor arrived, but the case was broken in shipping. No complaints - I had another good exchange with the seller, and we quickly agreed on a very fair adjustment with me keeping the razor. The day after that, the second set arrived. Now, I have two Techmatics, one worthless used cartridge, one and four-fifths good cartridges, but still no case. All this to fill a hole in my collection with what was arguably "the worst razor ever made."

As far as the shave is concerned, it wasn't nearly as bad as I remember. Two passes with "period-correct" Edge gel. I'd say it's about the same result as you'd get with a modern Good News disposable - not the greatest, but far from the worst shave you ever had. The adjustable cartridge is pretty mild at the low and middle settings, and fairly aggressive at the highest. Finding the correct angle is a little tricky. It might be more intuitive for someone who is used to an injector. I think getting a better shave with it today has a lot to do with knowing more about good technique than I did forty years ago when I was seventeen.

Will I ever use it again? Who knows. But for a few minutes at least, I was back in high school - getting ready to borrow my father's 1969 Buick Wildcat, take my girlfriend to see "The Sting" at the General Cinema, and top it all off with a hot fudge sundae at Jahn's.

"Yes, Mrs. F., we'll be back by 11:30. Jim Croce is on The Midnight Special."

$20140710_174352.jpg

$20140711_201219.jpg

$20140712_112128.jpg

Post Script: A buddy in another group learned about my story, and is sent me a case, PIF. I sent him 10 Feathers as thanks.

This brings back good memories. I used my Dad's Techmatic for a while in the late 70s. I was no expert then but i instinctively used to feel my chin for stubble after shaving and was satisfied with the good results i got. So iguess it was okay. Shifted to depilatories afterwards due to my issues with in-grown hairs.

I will get a Techmatic just for nostalgia's sake.

My dad bought one and didnt like it so he gave it to me when i was first learning how to shave. He let me play with it for a couple weeks before telling me to throw that worthless peice of crap away and handed me a shick injector.

My biggest memory of the techmatic was that it was so hard to clean out the whiskers in the corners of the band. I did not like it, went on to use a double edge, also had an injector at one point.

That's exactly what I remember, trying to wrestle the whiskers out of the corners, ha ha. I had actually forgotten that Techmatics ever existed, and then one popped up as part of a big batch of vintage razors on Ebay, yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-LOT-...945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d14f15f9

thanks for the _bad_ memories! ;-)

World's Worst Razor?!

That is a mighty bold claim. Challenge accepted!:tongue_sm

I picked up a NIB/NOS Techmatic still sealed in its original packaging on the 'Bay for a few dollars (surprisingly, no one else seemed interested in bidding on it!).

proxy.php

This morning, I took it out for a test drive. The shave was mild and comfortable with the adjustment dial on the middle setting. Although comfortable, the shave was not close. Assuming the adjustment dial does anything, the lowest setting must not cut any whiskers at all.
For my next shave, I will push the dial to the highest (most aggressive) setting and hope for the best.
In DE razors, I always remove the blade and rinse it. Unable to do that with the Techmatic, I dunked the entire head in rubbing alcohol, which hopefully displaced any water in there.

World's Worst Razor?!

That is a mighty bold claim. Challenge accepted!:tongue_sm

I picked up a NIB/NOS Techmatic still sealed in its original packaging on the 'Bay for a few dollars (surprisingly, no one else seemed interested in bidding on it!).

proxy.php

This morning, I took it out for a test drive. The shave was mild and comfortable with the adjustment dial on the middle setting. Although comfortable, the shave was not close. Assuming the adjustment dial does anything, the lowest setting must not cut any whiskers at all.
For my next shave, I will push the dial to the highest (most aggressive) setting and hope for the best.
In DE razors, I always remove the blade and rinse it. Unable to do that with the Techmatic, I dunked the entire head in rubbing alcohol, which hopefully displaced any water in there.

You're a brave man, Doc.

I have one of those things, apparently NOS too but looks like this:

proxy.php

I don't think it'll ever get used though, obviously not because it's NOS, but because I really don't want to shave with one of these things ... :lol:

Back in the 1960s, Gillette introduced what I believe was called the "TechMatic."

It was a "band razor" that used an extended strip of razor steel, rather than discreet blades. You "changed blades" by flipping a lever to advance the band from a small feed spool to a take-up spool.

The shaves were awful, I believe because it was impossible for the head assembly to hold the band perfectly flat. It bulged in spots, leading to scrapes and cuts (at least that was my experience as I can best recall).

One year, everybody in the fraternity house was using them. A year or two later they were all gone.

Has anyone else had experience with this Godawful thing?

I liked it. It worked very well for me. I tried to stock up when it was discontinued and there was still some stock in the pipeline.

I liked it better than DE shaving. I ended up throwing away my Black Beauty Slim because I found a better answer.

I don't know how I would like it today if I could compare it to modern cartridges, but I liked it much better than DE.

YMMV

I have one of those things ...
I don't think it'll ever get used though, obviously not because it's NOS, but because I really don't want to shave with one of these things ... :lol:

I liked it. It worked very well for me. I tried to stock up when it was discontinued and there was still some stock in the pipeline.

I liked it better than DE shaving. I ended up throwing away my Black Beauty Slim because I found a better answer.

I don't know how I would like it today if I could compare it to modern cartridges, but I liked it much better than DE.

YMMV

Edgar, you should try it. What do you have to lose? Jim liked it (although I suspect he might change his tune if he were to compare it today to a Mach3 or other semi-decent cart.

I tried it again today, this time with the adjuster on the highest possible setting. Still very smooth, but not all that close. With a lot of work and a fair amount of pressure, I was able to get very nearly to the level of a CCS. Then I dunked it in alcohol again and rolled the blade forward. It has 9 "blades" (i.e., sections of rolled blade material) left.

What do I do with it now?
Can I PIF a used razor that no one in his right mind would want to use? I guess we'll find out. If you are crazy enough to use this piece of failed technology, then I'm dumb enough to mail it to you. First PM (if any) gets this "prize." CONUS only for obvious reasons.

Edgar, you should try it. What do you have to lose?

For a split of a second I was even considering giving it a try ...

I tried it again today, this time with the adjuster on the highest possible setting. Still very smooth, but not all that close. With a lot of work and a fair amount of pressure, I was able to get very nearly to the level of a CCS.

Can I PIF a used razor that no one in his right mind would want to use? I guess we'll find out. If you are crazy enough to use this piece of failed technology ...

But then I changed my mind ...

:lol: :thumbup:

I used one for a while, and yes, it tore up my face. The Trac II, seemed like it was from heaven in comparison!

VW

Edgar, you should try it. What do you have to lose? Jim liked it (although I suspect he might change his tune if he were to compare it today to a Mach3 or other semi-decent cart.

I tried it again today, this time with the adjuster on the highest possible setting. Still very smooth, but not all that close. With a lot of work and a fair amount of pressure, I was able to get very nearly to the level of a CCS. Then I dunked it in alcohol again and rolled the blade forward. It has 9 "blades" (i.e., sections of rolled blade material) left.

Can I PIF a used razor that no one in his right mind would want to use? I guess we'll find out. If you are crazy enough to use this piece of failed technology, then I'm dumb enough to mail it to you. First PM (if any) gets this "prize." CONUS only for obvious reasons.
I am feeling brave

I had a pretty similar experience to many of you. My first razor was an older DE my father handed down to me (wish I'd kept it of course), but I moved on to a new and shiny Techmatic pretty quickly after that. It's the only razor I remember being consistently painful to use! After that I moved on to a Trac II for several decades, then a Gillette Sensor, and finally back to a DE a few months ago. That's a story for another day though...

I am feeling brave

We have winner! Kevin, thanks for stepping up and taking one for the team.:blink:
Just remember you are braver than Edgar!:tongue_sm

P.S. I would advance the "blade" one revolution just in case it gets damaged during transport (there will be plenty left to shave with). And let us know what you think ...

Last edited:
Isn't that the footprint for the new Gillette Fusion Ball? The displays that come alive when I walk by scare me. It acts like some sort of rabid shaving dog.

As a razor, I think it's a great piece of engineering.

As a shaver, I thought it perfectly acceptable. I dropped a NOS cartridge into mine, shaved with it, no nicks, no issues, smooth shave with good regrowth. I shaved with it a number of times and the cartridge still has life in it yet.

I would say it's one of those razors that any budding collector of experiences should try - just get a fresh cartridge with it.

Certainly not deserving of any title even close to "World's Worst Razor".

Top Bottom