What's new

What's trending on B&B?

Up: ... posts in the General sub-forum that belong in specific sub-forums.

Still trending strong. I guess I just don't understand the idea of opening the forum and thinking "I want to make a post about a soap/razor/cream/blade/brush. Where should I put it? Let' see...not the soap/razor/cream/blade/brush sub-forums. Yeah, how about the general sub-forum."

/rant

Still trending strong. I guess I just don't understand the idea of opening the forum and thinking "I want to make a post about a soap/razor/cream/blade/brush. Where should I put it? Let' see...not the soap/razor/cream/blade/brush sub-forums. Yeah, how about the general sub-forum."

/rant

+1

Also, repetitive threads, in addition to repeate threads.

Try Googling first.

+1

Try Googling first.

My pet peeve about this site. Not only do people open threads on the same subject that was active a day or two ago, they open thread about the same subject someone posted about a few minutes ago. For some reason, and unlike other forums I participate in, there appears to be no sense of continuity here - that a post about a subject that is actively being discussed belongs in that thread rather than starting a new one on the very same subject. So, when people do search for a subject what they find is an almost endless (sometimes) list of threads on a subject that almost discourages them from trying to find something in those threads.

/also a rant

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My pet peeve about this site. Not only do people open threads on the same subject that was active a day or two ago, they open thread about the same subject someone posted about a few minutes ago. For some reason, and unlike other forums I participate in, there appears to be no sense of continuity here - that a post about a subject that is actively being discussed belongs in that thread rather than starting a new one on the very same subject. So, when people do search for a subject what they find is an almost endless (sometimes) list of threads on a subject that almost discourages them from trying to find something in those threads.

/also a rant

Perhaps the freedom we offer is what sets us apart. As far as I can tell every thread gets a response. Where it be the same thread topic as 100 before it or a brand new topic...someone here responds and offers their input and advice. If someone gets discouraged from looking through endless threads I'm glad they feel like they can start another one rather than the alternative...which is to have their issue/question go unanswered.

This is a big site and it might not occur to a new member that what they are interested in/asking about has been talked about many times before. I personally give the benefit of the doubt to new members while they are acclimating themselves to B&B. We do try and merge threads when appropriate. Sometimes it might feel like a thread hijack to people who want to talk about their own experiences.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
Nice thoughts, Denard.

My upward trend: Laughing uncontrollably when a member posts a screenshot of their shopping cart to showing how
many new shaving products they have purchased from one of our fine vendors here...especially those that mention they already have enough stuff to last until the end of times....and I assume the vendor is laughing all of the way to the bank as they say. I like stuff, but not that much stuff (the more blatant consumerism I see the less I want to buy).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What I've noticed trending up: The tendency of members here to be critical and condescending about the actions of others.

What's trending down: Civility, tolerance, understanding and the willingness to let other people behave differently from yourself.

+1

Try Googling first.

Let's think about this. What hasn't been discussed in the time since B&B has started? I'm guessing nothing, that doesn't have to do with a new item. The great thing about this site is, we like to answer anyone's questions no matter how many times it's been asked. People are joining here daily, and most of them all start out at the same point. What separates this place from all others, is we don't give the standard "Google" it or " the search button is your friend" response that most other sites seem to pride themselves on. Being a gentlemen means answering questions for people instead of suggesting they aren't smart enough to figure it out first. JMO.

This is a big site and it might not occur to a new member that what they are interested in/asking about has been talked about many times before. I personally give the benefit of the doubt to new members while they are acclimating themselves to B&B. We do try and merge threads when appropriate. Sometimes it might feel like a thread hijack to people who want to talk about their own experiences.

Just a few thoughts.

And the search feature really, really is broken. The Google Custom search isn't much better.
And even when it works, trying to use the proper search terms can be a big challenge.
How many hits are you going to get to the question "Why is there blood in my sink after I shave with a Derby Blade?"
Any of those search terms, if the search function worked, would bring up thousands of threads. Broken as it is, it would currently bring up two threads from this week, then 200 threads that have not been posted to in a year.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
UP: argumentative posts in the HONING subforum
DOWN: my faith in some folks being able to self-moderate

What I've noticed trending up: The tendency of members here to be critical and condescending about the actions of others.

What's trending down: Civility, tolerance, understanding and the willingness to let other people behave differently from yourself.

so true... i think it comes in waves though...

up: Gold Dollar honing

down: 14 dissing

Top Bottom