What's new

Old Sheffield brought back to life

First, sorry for not being that much around as I use to lately, I've been spending a lot of time in the shop the last few weeks.

Lately I've put the custom restoration a side and have been working mostly on original resores, not much to show off really, but this one I wanted to share.

Picked this up for $17 at a huge thrift market last weekend, it's a unbranded 7/8 Sheffield, almost full wedge. The blade was in desent shape and the scales looked quite nice except for a small crack on the reverse scale, that was untill I unpinned it....

The reverse scale I didn't even try to rescue so I made a new one, but the front I was determined to save.

It had several cracks, a huge pice of the inside had fell off and by the wedge pin the bone had splitted.

I left it soaking in almond oil for 48 hrs before I cleaned it and sanded it down, carefully cut off the loose pieces, and sanded some more.

Then I rebuilt the missing parts using epoxy, came out surprisingly well actually :)

The text on the scales was pressed into the horn, but 150-160 years of wear have made it kinda shallow, so to get the gold back in the lettering I couldn't just fill it with paint and wipe off the excessive, I had to repaint every single letter using a 0,2mm brush, I think this process alone took me about 1,5 hrs, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

The blade was buffed to 320 grit and left at a satin finish.

Before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks guys!

How did you clean up the scales?

First I used dishwashing soap and a scrubbing sponge (not sure what you call it, one of these kitchen sponges with a green scrubby side), when that didn't remove anymore I wet sanded with 400 grit paper, then I used a needle to scrape out as much as possible of what was left in the cracks in the horn.

Spending time in the shop never needs to be excused (not here anyway, perhaps to SWMBO :biggrin: )

Stellar work my friend, I love how you saved the old scales. It would had been very easy to just thrash them & make new ones, but it would never had been the same.
Sweet!

Thanks all :)

Spending time in the shop never needs to be excused (not here anyway, perhaps to SWMBO :biggrin: )

Stellar work my friend, I love how you saved the old scales. It would had been very easy to just thrash them & make new ones, but it would never had been the same.
Sweet!

I have to admit that the idea of making some new did pass though my mind, but something made me change my mind and save the original, and I'm glad I did.

It sort of kept the spirit of the razor.

Top Bottom