I have been straight shaving on and off for a few months. I have an entry level razor with a SRD latigo strop.
I generally strop on both the linen and then the leather side before each shave.
Now I think it is time to introduce a hone into all this. Here is what I have gathered from everything I have read, let me know if anything I have here is wrong:
1. To keep the edge sharp, only a fine grit hone is needed (10, 000 or 12, 000)
2. The hone will first need to be lapped before initial use (either using sandpaper or a lapping plate)
3. Use the X pattern to hone leading with razor edge with little to no pressure aside from keeping razor flat and in contact with the hone
4. Do a test to see if it is shave ready, then shave and test
5. Repeat process if needed
6. A strop paste may also be used on the linen side to add the finishing touch
Here is my shopping list so far, please provide some feedback.
1. Naniwa 12, 000 grit or Shapton 10, 000
2. Not sure of what to use to lap for one of the fine grit hones above
3. 1 micron diamond paste for the linen side on strop
Thanks for the feedback in advance!