What's new

Proraso Sandelwood

Just received my sample of Proraso Red from Garry's sample shop (check the vendor section of the forums). The product was great and so was Garry's service.

My first try with any Proraso product was the Sandalwood I bought from the Italian Barber. I've only used it once but it lathered up well and was a nice coating on the face. The shave was not as good as I usually get with my other croaps, soaps and creams, but it was possibly user error and not the Proraso (I hope). I used my Sledge which is one of my favorite modern razors and a Pol SI.The scent was ok/good and fairly close to true sandalwood and low key. Hopefully my next try with the Proraso will be better. As they say: YMMV and mine did.

I've had a tube for a couple of weeks and have used it about half of the time. My initial reaction to the fragrance was that it's not objectionable, but it's not what I think of as a great sandalwood scent. Also, the lather is fine but not as thick or rich as the other creams I've been using (Castle Forbes Lavender, Harris Arlington and Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad). That said, I find myself using it more than the others, not out of any desire to compare it, but just because I enjoy shaving with it. It's easy to lather (I face lather), and it provides a smooth and comfortable shave - every bit as good as the other creams I mentioned. It also seems to have a cooling after-effect, even though it does not have any menthol or eucalyptus in it.

Ordered mine from Maguires on the bay using the balance of my ebay bucks so it only cost me a couple of USD shipping. It arrived yesterday and used it this morning. I have not used any other Proraso creams but do use the green tub soap and the Sandalwood performed as well. I'm not good a discerning scents so it smelled a lot like P160 to me but that could just be my nose. I really like the scent. Not over-powering, kind of light and powdery. Only "downside" is that IMHO the lather is not a thick and slick as Bigelow or Palmolive Europe.

I love Bigelow (4 big tubes), Palmolive Europe (8 sticks, 6 tubes), Wilkinson Sword sticks (4) and ARKO (21 sticks) but this one can easily join my list of favorites. The next tube comes from Joseph at The Italian Barber.

Mike
Maguires on the bay is the best

t also seems to have a cooling after-effect, even though it does not have any menthol or eucalyptus in it.
That's the sandalwood oil, which is noted in traditional Ayurvedic medicine to be a cooling substance. It's used in many skin preparations.

Having had a chance to try it, I was pretty impressed, especially with a pre shave ( some soaps and creams like them, others don't, in my experience). The scent is a bit like DR Harris Marlborough ( though the Harris includes some other aspects to mellow the sandalwood, while the Proraso is a purer sandalwood).

Is the red sandalwood using the new formulation like the green w/o the parabens, etc? I got the new green formulation and like it slightly better than the old green.

Out of curiosity I picked up a tube a few weeks ago on ebay out of the UK. Comparing it to the old-formula proraso green, it's a little more of a "runny", but lathers up just as quick, thick, and easy and is actually a bit slicker in my opinion. The scent is pretty great- more of a real sandalwood smell than the sweet, fake, processed sandalwood smell a lot of shaving products have (unfortunately). I notice it goes for $8.99 a tube on WCS now, so ultimatley a great product in my opinion.

Also- This is my first post after a couple months of lurking. Whats up B&B?

Out of curiosity I picked up a tube a few weeks ago on ebay out of the UK. Comparing it to the old-formula proraso green, it's a little more of a "runny", but lathers up just as quick, thick, and easy and is actually a bit slicker in my opinion. The scent is pretty great- more of a real sandalwood smell than the sweet, fake, processed sandalwood smell a lot of shaving products have (unfortunately). I notice it goes for $8.99 a tube on WCS now, so ultimatley a great product in my opinion.

Also- This is my first post after a couple months of lurking. Whats up B&B?

Welcome leo! And +1 to every point you made on the sandalwood... it's a great deal IMO.

Top Bottom