What's new

Trying to go "all Naturale"

Coming of the 8K try using your Coticule with only water or just a very watery slurry at the most. A Coticule is not harder to use then any other stone it's just that the dilution from heavy slurry to water takes a lot of feeling and is hard to master as the Coticule slurry will not only sharpen but also quickly dull the edge. That's why we need to dilute it gradually while honing but knowing when and how much takes practice.
But coming from the 8K, you shouldn't really need the slurry, using with just water and a lot of very light pressure laps will improve the edge. If you want to improve it even further you could try oil or glycerin.

it's just that the dilution from heavy slurry to water takes a lot of feeling and is hard to master as the Coticule slurry will not only sharpen but also quickly dull the edge. That's why we need to dilute it gradually while honing but knowing when and how much takes practice.

I think another thing that's hard at the beginning is realizing what slurry thickness to start off with. It's very easy to use too thick of a slurry and have trouble with dilutions. At the other end of the process, finishing and getting the most off plain water is often the other hardest task.

If you are happy with your edges, than don't change or buy anything. If you want to tinker with your stones, than prepare to spend a lot of money, and go through a lot of frustration :001_smile
Been there, done that, I have spent maybe 1500$ on hones in 2 years, and now I use almost the same progression what I bought the first time. Synths from 1k to 8k, and than natural finisher.

Top Bottom