What's new

Advice on digital scales

I need a good digital scale. Something that can measure coffee and tea at the cup level and razors up to the Rocket HD+ level. I have a cheap-o $10 model and it is junk.

Any good choices out there?

-jim

Do you want a portable model? If so, get a carrying case for it.

For home use, you want something with a large pan, preferably removable with a pouring spout.

I have a good scale at home, when I get back I will look up the brand name.

I have this KINTREX kitchen scale which looks to be discontinued now. I like it for the most part, it stores nicely in the kitchen drawer and seems accurate enough. Only going haywire when the batteries begin to lose charge. I find it works well to measure out 1/2 to 1 pound of green coffee to roast, or 16 +/- grams of however much coffee is desired to make a single cup serving. But the one task it falls a little short on is weighing tea. For tea, I would prefer something with more than 1 gram of resolution, and the sensitivity seems less when weighing at the low end of the scale at around 5 grams, but I suppose that impression is to be expected as going from 4 to 5 grams is a 25% jump. I have learned to better manage my tea brewing and rely less on weighing, so even though this scale would not be my first choice, I don't have a need to upgrade.

I have a "food" scale that goes up to at least 5 lbs and measures in oz - it's an 'analog' one. In order to zero out, you twist the base to move the needle to the 0 point. Works pretty good for that. So that takes care of the low res, "high" weight end.

One thing I don't want to do is over specify - I'm thinking .5g res with 4kg capacity might be the ticket. 0.1g res sounds good, but in reality for my needs, probably not.

That web site is something else.

thanks guys!

I will go for the Jennings CJ4000

-jim

Why not you find one on Amazon or Ebay because there are many portable scale that are available in price range $10 to $25. Most of these scales have accuracy up to 0.1g and many other features that you want in your scale.

For normal cooking I have an unremarkable one that goes to 11lbs with a 1g resolution. For coffee, I have a $6 jewelers scale with 0.1g resolution, from eBay. I don't think it would hold a whole cup and saucer, but does fine for grounds containers.

[COLOR=#888888 !important]From Amazon:
American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG Digital Pocket Weigh Scale

[/COLOR]

I am using brecknell Ds-1 dietary scale for measuring all kitchen weighing measurement. I bought that in $30 from ebay with features that i need. And also have accuracy with powerful battery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom