What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Friday:

Cobra Classic/Kai Captain Mild (12)

Got a great face and headshave today,2 pass face,1 pass head,no touch ups,BBS all around.The Kai Blade is still going strong after 12 face and headshaves.

SOTD Saturday June 23, 2012
proxy.php

Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in hot water (I know shocking for me)
Razor: GEM 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: CVS Carbon SE Blade
Brush: 1950's Stanley Badger Hair Brush
Soap: TSD Wheat Cream Sandalwood
AS: Aqua Velva Musk
Post: Warm Water Rinse, Naturally Fresh Alum, Second Rinse, Splash of Aqua Velva Musk.

For my face the only SE blades that perform for well are the carbons, I have tried SS and the coated, but the CVS Carbons are the best.

I can get about 7 shaves per blade, and had used my last blade a few weeks back. Since I have to drive the long way home to pass the CVS (same distance, just more lights), I have been been not waiting to stop on the way home. Well yesterday was my breaking point as it has been too long since my last SE shave.

I also decided to use the TSD Wheat Cream as a warm/hot shave. I must say, it was a very nice experience, both in the way the wheat cream reacted to the warm water and the very nice feel of my skin afterwards.

While at CVS I decided to try the Aqua Velva Musk, as I have never used it. I have never used this product and remain someone what neutral on it. I like a lot of scent in my AS and to my nose, this has virtually no scent after about a minute. My wife likes it, and says the scent is very nice and not overbearing.

Todays shave I would rate a 9 out of 10.

SOTD Monday June 25, 2012
proxy.php

Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in hot water
Razor: GEM Junior
Blade: CVS Carbon Single Edge Blade (2)
Brush: 1950's Stanley Flat Top Badger Hair Brush
Cream: TSD Wheat Cream Sandalwood
Soap: TSD Sandalwood
AS: Aqua Velva Musk
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Naturally Fresh Alum, Second Rinse, Double Splash of Aqua Velva Musk.

I loaded the brush with about 10 swirls of the TSD soap, then a dap and swirl into the TSD wheat cream. Once again the results where the same, the TSD really shows it colors by using hot water. The entire bowl was overflowing with a rich and creamy lather, enough for 10 passes if not more.

First pass on face was like a hot knife through butter, although I have never heard butter make the sound of whiskers being shaved off
proxy.php
On the neck my first pass is always from south to north. The amount of audio feedback from the GEM's is one thing I really love about them, as it sounded liked bulldozer plowing through a forest.

The second pass is from ear to nose direction on both my face and neck, but at a slight angle. Could not hear one whisker being cut on my face, but the lather proved other wise.

No third pass needed on face, so the remainder of the shave was buffing and touch ups on neck and at jawline.

Better than a DFS, but less than a BBS, no matter how you slice it, a nice shave overall. I would rate todays shave a 8, only because I was not able to acheive a BBS.

Today was another trip with the Schick Dial Adjustable, with the fourth shave on a Gillette Platinum Plus injector blade. BBS in 2 easy passes. Love this blade! Too bad that they ain't making them anymore.
-- Chet

MMOC, GEM SS Blade (4), MWF, Simpson Berkeley brush, alum, then Thayer's lemon witch hazel

Still learning the MMOC. I have spurts of correct angle followed by scraping due to an overly aggressive angle. Overall, a decent shave. Three passes, BBS (a rarity for me).

I have a feeling that mastering the MMOC might result in some of my best shaves ever. Oh, and MWF is probably the best soap I've ever tried.

Top Bottom