What's new

Single edge blade guide

All my S/E razors are loaded with Gem Personna stainless blades or Pella ptfe's. Carbon blades are a waste of time and money.:thumbdown
They rust and dull way too quickly. For the purist,they should be classed as a hobby blade.
I like carbon blades but they do seem to start rusting as you shave. I swear they have rust stains before I can take the blade out of the razor. I now put a small amount of petroleum jelly on the edges.

I'm really glad this has helped some guys with their blade selection, and Henrik, it is stickied in the INFO POST at the top of this page.

Great information. One question though. Is there any place that sells sampler packs of SE blades? I have a GEM Micromatic and some CVS brand blades and the damn blades just tug at my beard.
OR, should I just get a box of PTFE coated blades and that should cover it?

Last edited:
Just in time to come in handy as I just bought 3 pieces through eBay few days ago and currently waiting for it to arrive and refer to your SE blade guide...thanks Tom

Great information. One question though. Is there any place that sells sampler packs of SE blades? I have a GEM Micromatic and some CVS brand blades and the damn blades just tug at my beard.

I was wandering the same. A sampler pack will be cool .

CVS (carbon steel) didn't work for me.
Walgreens (+Walmart?) sell the Stainless version. Some debate as to whether coated or not.
Not sure I can tell the difference between the SS and the PTFE SS.

No idea what Chile options there are :smile:

CVS (carbon steel) didn't work for me.
Walgreens (+Walmart?) sell the Stainless version. Some debate as to whether coated or not.
Not sure I can tell the difference between the SS and the PTFE SS.

No idea what Chile options there are :smile:
My options are equals to 0.
:p

If I remember I believe that there are no sample packs of SE blades due to the limited selection compared to DE blades.

Tom

You could go to Walgreen's and pick up a pack of the GEM/Personna blades, I think they're the same as the Ted Pellas and you'd only be out around 5 or 6 bucks.

PAL blades are also carbon steel but have a dark blue coating, and have the word PAL stamped on the spine. I have never found PAL blades in any retail stores,

The Gem Blue Star and PAL blades are carried by various independent drug and grocery stores, and at some of the large chain drugstores.

I invite anyone that can add to this list, or correct any mistakes I've made, to please do so.

:blink:

Otherwise I found this post very helpful. Thanks.

If you're unable to find any or all of these brands locally, I've found hocks.com carries the GEM stainless, GEM Blue Star, and Treet blades, as well as the current Chinese Schick injector blades. If you order enough, you can get free shipping, not sure if it's $50 or $75 for that.

I saw today at Rite-Aid their own brand of SE blades. The package didn't mention the origin. They also have DEs that look like rebranded ASR, which says 'made in USA'.
Any idea about the riteaid ones?

The Rite Aid branded SE blades must be a new thing, because I've yet to see any around here. I was in Rite Aid a couple days ago and they had three packages of Treets, but I didn't see the ones you're talking about, didn't even see a bin for them. If you can see the ends of the vaults in the package it might tell us who they are made by.

The Rite Aid branded SE blades must be a new thing, because I've yet to see any around here. I was in Rite Aid a couple days ago and they had three packages of Treets, but I didn't see the ones you're talking about, didn't even see a bin for them. If you can see the ends of the vaults in the package it might tell us who they are made by.

I was in a Rite Aid store here in PA yesterday and noticed their store-branded SE blades also. I didn't pick them up as I've got enough blades for the next 3 or 4 years. Next time I see them, I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can figure out the source.

I have noticed more "Made in Korea" SEs in stores now. I guess the Gems and Pals and Treets are being replaced with Dorcos.

Top Bottom