What's new

Single edge blade guide

For some reason many of the GEM blades say for industrial use only. The blades I have from EMS and Ted Pella both have these legends and both are safe for shaving.

And Tom, you did a great job.

Tom, I can't read the smaller print on your 100 count Gem box, but I have one that looks like it from Razor Blades and More (http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/100-gem-stainless-steel-coated-single-edge-blades) that has the following description:
"Usually used with GEM style razors to get close shaves. Stainless Steel material. The 62-0165 razor blades are always made from high quality stainless steel. These single edge blades are a favorite among customers who want the benefits of a stainless steel razor blade. Each shipped blade is protected in shelling paper. Although these blades are for "industrial use only", these are the perfect blades for wetshaving."
When I got it I didn't notice the "industrial use only" (I haven't used any from this box yet) but I have used Gem blades in the past with a Featherweight razor. Does the box you have say Industrial Use Only?

I do like Gem blades, and the one Dorco I tried was a dud.

That picture was straight off the Ted Pella website. The boxes I've had from the group buys didn't say anything on them about being suitable for shaving. I don't have the boxes anymore, I threw them out. The boxes, not the blades!

Tom, I can't read the smaller print on your 100 count Gem box, but I have one that looks like it from Razor Blades and More (http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/100-gem-stainless-steel-coated-single-edge-blades) that has the following description:
"Usually used with GEM style razors to get close shaves. Stainless Steel material. The 62-0165 razor blades are always made from high quality stainless steel. These single edge blades are a favorite among customers who want the benefits of a stainless steel razor blade. Each shipped blade is protected in shelling paper. Although these blades are for "industrial use only", these are the perfect blades for wetshaving."
When I got it I didn't notice the "industrial use only" (I haven't used any from this box yet) but I have used Gem blades in the past with a Featherweight razor. Does the box you have say Industrial Use Only?

I do like Gem blades, and the one Dorco I tried was a dud.

What about these vintage SE blades (ignore the other stuff)?
$DSCF0059.jpg

PAL Hollow Ground
Star SE blades
Treet SE Blades
GEM Micromatic SE blades

So far, I've used the Treet and PAL Hollow Ground blades. The Treet blade was a tad rough. The PAL Hollow Grounds though were very smooth shavers. They also have the most unique edge as made obvious by their name. I have yet to try the others. I'll try to get better pics of the Hollow Ground blades next time I use one.

I just copied your post to a word document. It occurs to me that this will be a great insert to any SE razor gifting that I do. Thanks again.

CVS experience. I visited my local CVS to buy more of their SE blades. They were out. I looked on the CVS online store and they're showing "out of stock" on those blades. Looks like it's local store inventory only for the moment. I m ay try another CVS to find some.

CVS experience. I visited my local CVS to buy more of their SE blades. They were out. I looked on the CVS online store and they're showing "out of stock" on those blades. Looks like it's local store inventory only for the moment. I m ay try another CVS to find some.

OH NOES :ohmy: Note to self, stop at CVS on the way home and pick up every package they have out.

Tom, super helpful guide. You consolidated info that was scattered in many places.
Thanks to whomever for making it a sticky.

I've also had the "rusting in the box" problem with Blue Stars.
I'll try the Pal carbon steels sometime.
Meanwhile, I now have maybe a lifetime supply of the PTFE coated SS type.

So, the 100 count boxes of 62-164-3 Gem SS blades do indeed say "for industrial use only", and my guess is that this means they are very sharp for medical prep work and not designed for paint scraping & window cleaning! And by now ASR may figure almost nobody is shaving their faces with this. Or if you are, they'd rather have you buy them at a higher profit margin in drug stores. But in any case, no worries, they are superb for shaving.

In the Atlanta area, I've looked for SE blades in drug stores and super markets (whenever I think about it and just out of curiosity) but haven't come across any for years. DEs have almost disappeared - sometimes see them, more often not now. We might be approaching the point where you'd have to order them, which is unfortunate. It would certainly be nice, while traveling by air, to bring the empty razor and know you could pick up blades at a local store.

Ahhhh finally found a little more light on the subject! Please sticky this. Gem razors from walgreens check, CVS ones, not yet but ill try them out. But before i buy them are they are different right? Might not have read that right.

Ahhhh finally found a little more light on the subject! Please sticky this. Gem razors from walgreens check, CVS ones, not yet but ill try them out. But before i buy them are they are different right? Might not have read that right.

GEM From Walgreens are stainless steel. CVS blades are carbon steel. CVS blades will rust, take them out after each shave and put them on a towel with mineral oil to inhibit the rust.

Some people prefer carbon over stainless, some the other way around.

My preference is the industrial use PTFE coated GEM stainless steel blades.

Thanks for the guide! helps a lot when it comes to SE blades. especially finding a source for the spineless feather blades.

Connaughtshaving in the UK is carrying the Feathers now aswell.

This is actually one of the cheapest SE blades I can find shipped to my country.

Last edited:
All my S/E razors are loaded with Gem Personna stainless blades or Pella ptfe's. Carbon blades are a waste of time and money.:thumbdown
They rust and dull way too quickly. For the purist,they should be classed as a hobby blade.

Top Bottom