What's new

Absinthe anyone? Available in the US?

Discussion? Recommendations? Is it now available in the States? I remember reading that there were some technicalities that certain distillers were getting around by using a different type of wormwood. I believe I tried it in Palma Di Majorca in the early 90's. (It is true, I'm not certain :blush: ) I want to try it again.

Mike

I thought the "real stuff" was banned in the U.S. Has that changed?

Oh, and Timmy... I made the mistake of clicking on "Don't click here" in your post... wow... what an appalling flashback I had. :scared: :biggrin:

Just did some research.

It is illegal to sell in bars and liquor stores in the United States.

Thujone is not labeled a drug, rather a poison, so...

It is not illegal to own in the Untied States.

Therefore, one can buy Absinthe from an Absinthe dealer online, have it shipped, and drink it legally.

I have not tried this, anyone have experiences?

When I did try the stuff, the friend that gave me some bought it online and had it shipped here. He never had any problems.

I have the following:

Jade Edouard (made by New Orleans native Ted Breaux)
Blanche de Fougerolles
Verte de Fougerolles

The Jade absinthes (www.vintageabsinthes.com) are pretty much tops. The Edouard above is incredibly tasty. Very nice with some ice water.

The big rule of thumb with absinthe is:

Don't buy anything from the Czech republic.

If you stick with the French and Swiss brands you'll be in pretty good shape. There is of course a website where absinthe afficionados discuss all this stuff - www.feeverte.net.

The real stuff is not available in the US. A friend brought me a bottle of the real deal from Spain, it was pretty good but left me with one hell of a hangover.:letterk1:
I don't think that there is as much of the infamous "worm wood" in the newer bottlings though.

The real stuff is not available in the US. A friend brought me a bottle of the real deal from Spain, it was pretty good but left me with one hell of a hangover.:letterk1:
I don't think that there is as much of the infamous "worm wood" in the newer bottlings though.

I found this, it sounds pretty genuine, and claims to be much stronger than those legally allowed in Europe.

I had the real stuff when I was in Spain. I think it was 130 proof or thereabouts. To be honest, I'd imagine bleach wouldn't burn as much as that stuff did.

You gotta like black licorice. Not kind of like it. But really really like it. Drank some in London once. Drank a whole lot more in Prague a couple of years later. Not the normal alcohol buzz followed by a wicked, ferocious, crippling hangover.

As I reflect, it was not Palma, but Malaga/Tourmalines. I just could not remember the name for a while. We took in a a bull fight. At the bull ring, there was a sign informing us that Ernest Hemingway was, at one time a regular at the ring and pointed out his box. His seats were (in the shade) sought after. I guess you get bragging rights for watching a bull fight from the exact spot where Hemingway sat.

That lead to one of my buddies mentioning that Hemingway liked absinthe and in fact mentioned it in some of his writings. When we left the bull fights, we found a sidewalk cafe and set about seeing what Ernest saw in the stuff. We watched the locals go about their business and sipped the absinthe mixed with water and a couple ice cubes . I found it quite tasty but blame it for the loss of several hours. Walked it off, no hangover.

The state side price of admission might be too dear.

Regards,
Mike

I haven't tried the stuff myself. Mostly when I hear folks bring it up, it's usually associated with wild parties and getting wasted on it. I suppose thats how tequila gets the rap as being just a party spirit too. Isn't that some high grade gasoline? I mean doesn't some Absinthe get darn close to 190 proof even? Might be just as well to take a swig of some Aqua Velva. :wink:

I believe there's some controversy about whether or not the recipe for Absinthe available from French/Czech/Swiss distilleries today bears any resemblance to the Absinthe that Van Gogh, Poe, and Hemingway favored. The connection with these great artists (and great drinkers) would be the only attraction to this foul stuff for me. I'd like to think the stuff I drank a few years ago is naught but an awful, rancid imitator.

Top Bottom