Hi,

So, let's say I use a number of after shave items:

- Alum
- Witch Hazel
- Aftershave Splash
- Aftershave Balm
- Skin Food
- Moisturizer

Different people react differently to the above projects. Some need only ASB, while others might need (delight in) all 6 of the above items. This point aside, what if I wanted to use all of these after each shave, what order would I use them in? I imagine using the Alum block after the Aftershave Balm would not make sense? And there might be redundancies between the items too right? I'm noticed that some people use Alum first and then Witch Hazel, while others use one instead of the other. So, I'm not just interested in the order itself, but also if there are any total-redundancies?

e.g. does Skin Food == Aftershave Balm + Moisturizer
or do each of these 3 serve a different functions, and some people only need 2/3 of these while others might benefit from 3/3 of them?

or: does ASB = *** + Moisturizer?
or do each of these 3 serve a different function, and some people only need 1/3 of these while others might benefit from all of them?

So maybe a better question is, what are the "Various Sequence of Application" of the above products?

Cheers,
Shahriar.

Maybe I'm all over the place with that. Let me try again.

For starters,

1) What can Skin food do that Moisturizer can't?
2) What can Moisturizer do that ASB can't?
3) What can *** do that ASB can't?

Hi,

So, let's say I use a number of after shave items:

- Alum
- Witch Hazel
- Aftershave Splash
- Aftershave Balm
- Skin Food
- Moisturizer

Then, I'd advise you to pick anywhere between one and three of those items, and eliminate the rest.

Newbies often try to use products to fix a developing technique, and they also have a tendency to use what they think others think they should use.

Instead, shave, apply some aftershave balm, and then see what your face needs after trying that for a week or so. Some AS balms are more moisturizing than others, so you may or may not need any other products. I shaved for years with Williams soap and Dickensons Witch Hazel as an aftershave, and I'm tempted to move in that direction again (well, at least so far as an aftershave goes).

For me, AS Balm, AS Splash, and Skin Food all fall very clearly into a plain old "After Shave" category. Not many people will need more than one of those. Again, additional moisturizer may or may not be necessary, or some people might like it seasonally, or in dry weather. Some people like Alum, some people don't.

If you can't figure out when you should be using it, perhaps you don't really need to be using it at all.

Thanks Scott,

A few notes though, I'm not actually using all of those, I'm only using a balm and moisturizer. My question is more of a hypothetical one, from which I'd wish to derive a sounder understanding to go along with trial-and-error.

As for newbies being focused more on products than technique, I think that's rather simplistic. Products aren't a substitute for technique. However, while I'm improving my technique, I do make mistakes, I do peel my face now and then, and until I become good enough to never get razor burn, I'd like to know about the various potions and lotions out there.

Cheers,
Shahriar.

There are only two things that an aftershave treatment needs to do:
1. Condition the skin ie close up the pores reduce redness.
2. Moisturize the skin

-Alum is purely a conditioner, it does not moisturize.
-Witch hazel is mostly a conditioner as well, but some brands have moisturizing components.
-Aftershave splash - similar to witch hazel but can contain a number of ingredients. Most have alcohol, but some will actually have alum, witch hazel, alcohol, and glycerin in the mix.
-Aftershave balm is like a moisturizing splash. They can be too moisturizing for some people.
-Skin Food - Is a glycerin based product that is only mildly moisturizing. Many people like to use additional moisturizer with this during the winter.
-Moisturizer - moisturizes the skin... Keeps it looking young and healthy.

My experience:
-Alum - Effective, but very drying, definitely need moisturizer with this.
-Witch Hazel - effective as well, and good for sensitive skin, but the scent of the ones I have used turns me off.
-Aftershave splash - Probably my favorite, need a little moisturizer in the winter.
-Aftershave Balm - Can feel sticky or too greasy for me, but everyone has different skin, and there are a lot of different products.
-Skin Food - I use this a lot too. It's a lot milder than a splash, and I use moisturizer during the winter.
-Moisturizer - I use only a very small amount, usually only during the winter.

Are you using all of those products for each shave? If so, that's way too much. First, I'd only use the alum if you have a nick. Then, I'd decide on what to use that day (either witch hazel , AS, or ASB). The skin food and moisturizer I believe are one in the same also. Use one or the other in conjunction with one of the others.

==Tom

Top Bottom