What's new

Torch Cigar Lighter

I am looking to get a Top Quality Torch Lighter I have always used regular lighter (Corona or Zippo) or Sticks. Would like some thoughts on A great one and maybe some info on the difference in them. I have did some research but I trust you guys
Thanks Guys

I quit smoking cigars a few years back, but I kept my "Blazer" brand torches. They really are (or were at least) the best available...

Don, I know you said you were looking for a top quality torch lighter, but if a torch flame is the driving factor vs. a "soft" flame, my humble advice is to go with the lowly Ronson Jet-Lite available in the tobacco aisle of your local Wal-Mart. They cost $3-$4, look decent, and work like an ox. They're no Colibri to be sure, but I'd put money down that they work much better in terms of consistency. I've heard that Colibris can be pretty finicky and light when they feel like lighting. My Ronson Jet-Lite has been going strong, lighting the first time, every time...even with the crappy Ronson butane. I should also say, in fairness to Colibri products, that I have no direct experience with one. Good luck on the search.

I bought a Colibri and think it is a royal pain in the .... I have since switched from cigars to pipes and no longer even know where it is in the house. I found that even though I used their fuel, it was a very finicky lighter. I suggest you get something else.

I have used the Blazer for years and am very satisfied with it.
I had a nice Colibri that I won in a contest...it ceased to work very quickly.

Incidentally, the "torch" lighters are often banned where a typical lighter is allowed. Years ago, before 9/11 I had to hand in my Blazer at a trendy club in Manhattan. They told me it wasn't allowed. I went to the bathroom and had a full bowl of "safe" matches to choose from.

If you check the TSA site, you can now bring a regular lighter on board, even in your carry on but a torch lighter isn't allowed, even in your check-in baggage.

When I travel via plane, I bring a batch of cedar matches.

Be well,
Rob - Long Beach, NY

I've had Colibris and Blazers both crap out in just over a year with daily use and quality butane. The Ronsons are holding up so far. My three year old Solo Trek is still going strong, and the nice little Lowes torch lighter is always reliable. The last lighter has a flame adjustment knob that's the entire bottom of the lighter, and also has a clear tinted body so you know when you're running low on gas. I think it's still $10 at Lowes, btw.

Wayne

I just got the new JR catalog and they have a new series of Colibris that all come with a lifetime warranty. It breaks, you send it back to Colibri and the fix it or send you a new one with no fuss. I'm sort of tempted to pick one up.

I bought a Colibri and think it is a royal pain in the .... I have since switched from cigars to pipes and no longer even know where it is in the house. I found that even though I used their fuel, it was a very finicky lighter. I suggest you get something else.

+1 Colibri is a major *** made in China.

Personally, I am not wild about torch lighters... so far i've never used a lighter that has worked as well, or as reliably as my S.T. Dupont - but they are brutally expensive.

You mentioned Zippo... I read somewhere Zippo just came out with a Torch lighter that looks/feels like their standard offerings.... might want to check that out.

:smile:

I just got the new JR catalog and they have a new series of Colibris that all come with a lifetime warranty. It breaks, you send it back to Colibri and the fix it or send you a new one with no fuss. I'm sort of tempted to pick one up.

Don't. My Colibri pipe lighter (a VERY simple flint lighter that should never have an issue) is at Colibri right now. I'm on month 2 waiting for the replacement. They are pretty miserable to deal with - and have just awful products. I wouldn't buy another.

I'm glad my cheap Firebird has been mostly hassle free. For $15, I don't think I'll mind too much when it needs to be replaced.

Yes, Zippo just came out with the Zippo Blu, which is a typical torch lighter minus the electric ignition. It uses the familiar flint/wheel combo.

pssst...get a Ronson...you won't regret it.

+1 Colibri is a major *** made in China.

Personally, I am not wild about torch lighters... so far i've never used a lighter that has worked as well, or as reliably as my S.T. Dupont - but they are brutally expensive.

You mentioned Zippo... I read somewhere Zippo just came out with a Torch lighter that looks/feels like their standard offerings.... might want to check that out.

:smile:

Joel what makes the Duponts so good I looked them up on line they look great but none of the sites have a lot of info on them.

Joel what makes the Duponts so good I looked them up on line they look great but none of the sites have a lot of info on them.

Very wide flame, VERY easily lights a cigar, without burning or marring a cigars wrapper (like torch lighters can often do) and is VERY classic looking/feeling. They weigh about 5X more than you'd think so when you pick them up you get an immediate and reassuring shock of weight. When you flip the lighters top - there is a loud, and VERY cool "PIIIIING" sound that resonates - and anyone within a 20-30 foot radius will immediatly turn to see you lighting your ceegar. :wink:

It's almost like explaining to someone using a Bic pen, how much better a Pelikan Fountain Pen is, feels and performs... it's one of those things you just kinda have to try to understand. So far, I've never put one of my Duponts in someones hand who hasn't immediatly said "I WANT ONE!"

As far as lighters go... Dupont's are king. Only one problem/issue... they are very, very expensive - and you pretty much have to get a large one... and a gold one :wink: and those start at a street price of $800. :blink:

If you want one... I do have an extra I'd make you a sweet deal on - but I don't think you'd want the trade - *cough* TAKEDA *cough* :wink:

Just to add, ST. Dupont also makes a torch lighter called the Xtend. It comes in a mini and standard version, with the mini fitting into the 5th pocket on most pairs of jeans. Its an excellent torch that I use all the time. Comes in literally 20 different colour schemes/textures/patterns.

Fortunately it is also much cheaper than the traditional Duponts. They run about 200 CAD - which means you should be able to get one for like 150 USD.

If you do want to go the traditional flame route, the ST. Duponts are great - like Joel said. To elaborate, what makes the lighter better, is that instead of just one flame, its actually a double flame. That is to say, when you open the lighter (god I love the PING), and before you flick it, you will see that there are two little holes for the gas/flame to come out of. This allows for the widder flame that makes cigar lighting easier and quicker. More importantly it also ensures that you do not overheat the cigar.

Speaking of which, if you do go the torch route, be forewarned, you MUST ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY keep the flame MUCH MUCH FURTHER AWAY FROM YOUR CIGAR. Torches are extremely hot, and will cause the cigar to light even if the tip of the flame is a good 4-5 inches away.

Furthermore, I've found that torch lighting requires a slightly different technique. Unlike traditional cigar lighting where you put the cigar to your lips after warming/charring the tip, and then light it, with a torch, you can do a much better job of preventing overheating if you nearly fully light the cigar by having the flame dirrectly strike the cigar (a good 4 or so inches away) until it is almost fully lit, then bringing to your mouth for ONE puff. The extreme heat of the torch-type lighter will cause one of the biggest flames at the foot of the cigar that you will have seen.

I've found that www.worldlux.com has a great selection of Dupont lighters and accessories. If you ever come to Montreal, we have an official Dupont store in the Chateau Champlain Hotel as well as the infamous store VASCO Cigars, (both of which are located within 5 minutes walking distance), which is one of the largest retailers of ST. Dupont, Dunhill and Mont Blanc accesories in North America and I'm sure my friend Adam would be more than happy to help you pick out some nice Cubans to go with your new lighter - not to mention some brushes and shaving soaps/creams.

I almost forgot, the other great thing about Dupont - aside from the craftsmanship, weight and that amazing Piiiing, is that they come in an amazing variety of metals, finishes and sizes. You're imagination is literally the limit, as most of their lighters are pieces of art.

If you don't want to spend that much, but still want a quality lighter, I would highly recommend ATOLL of California. They make 4 different sized lighters, they're double burners, and they're finished in a myriad of different coloured and textured leathers. They'll run you probably around $150, give or take. I also personally love Dunhill of London. They're almost as expensive and the Duponts when you get into the palladiums and the lacquers, but if you go for the mostly metal ones, you're looking at around $300 or so. (L.A. and NYC both have amazing Dunhill shops... literally every luxury item a man could want they make AND the NYC store - like the London flagship - has a cigar lounge and barber shop inside.) Its a truly wonderful experience to shop, have a shave, then enjoy a nice cigar; it was one of the highlights of my trip to London last summer.

OOPS;
I almost forgot to badmouth Prometheus Lighters. At the time they disallowed warranty on a nearly new lighter I told them that I would speak badly of them at every opportunity. My experience screams that they are lower then dung...
Thanks For Listening:)

Ken.

COuple questions on the Dupounts, Flint or elec, are they all the same except for looks or some dual flame some not, the ping etc

COuple questions on the Dupounts, Flint or elec, are they all the same except for looks or some dual flame some not, the ping etc

No, they are not all the same. You can get dual flames (for free) on any high end model by sending it back to the factory - however I prefer the manuverability of 1 flame. ALL of mine are 1 flames, as while the 2 flamed models are cool (I sent one of mine in, had the 2 flame upgrade done for free, and sent it back to have it put back to one flame) they burn too much gas, and the one flamed models have a more than broad enough flame to work well.

Also, some of the lower end models don't ping - such as the jet flame model, etc. They are pretty exceptional - and are ALWAYS a conversation piece. In fact, I liked 'em so much - I ended up getting too many :wink:

Except for the the Xtend (torch model) they are all flints.

There are 3 main flint lines: the Gatsby (think FatBoy), Linge 1 (think SS) and Linge 2 (think Long handle SS).

And yes, as Joel said, the one burner version is sufficiently wide, you don't HAVE to convert it, but I love my dual burner. Keep in mind, switching from a single to a dual burner is like going from a Prius to a Suburban when it comes to consumption.

Top Bottom