What's new

Burt's Bees Sells Out to Clorox!

On October 31, Cholorox announced that it will pay $925 million to buy Burt's Bees.

Here's a link to a story about the deal:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/10/31/clorox-burts-bees-markets-equity-cx_af_1031markets15.html

It seems like many of the big health and beauty companies finally realize that this whole natural products thing isn't a passing fad and want to cash in/avoid missing the boat.

While business is business and Burt made one of the most craptastic shaving soaps out there, part of me is sad to see these types of companies get bought out.

It will be interesting to see how the company is run going forward - I'll bet you see better product placement/distribution, but I wonder how this is going to impact future product development, etc...

Just thought the fans of Burt's products might want to know.

Chris

Good for Burt. He made some good coin on that.

I like their products - they have a new "Natural" men's line that is pretty good. The brushless shave cream is actually good (for a brushless!) And believe it or not the cologne isn't bad either - I bought it. Next time your around a whole foods check it out they carry it.

Maybe they will bring the Bay Rum aftershave balm back? Hopin' & wishin'!!!!

Sometimes these big buyouts go OK. Unilever bought out Ben & Jerries and while I'm sure they've changed, they still project a lot of their original image and values. Same goes for Berkshire-Hathaway buying out Jordan's "left on Spitbook, right on Daniel-Webster" Furnitire.

It would seem that quite often in these sorts of deals the main staff of the new acquisition stay the same, just with potentially deeper pockets and better marketing, and so long as their not tethered by cost justifying to accountants I cannot see why anything would decline.

Tom's of Maine sold a big chunk of itself to Colgate. Tom and his wife pretty much admitted that they simply couldn't get the distribution they needed to grow unless they hooked up with a big outfit.

B

Bee Man

Chris -
I appreciate your positive reviews as well as your concern for Burt's as we move to new owners. This will be our third owner in our brief 20 year history and as the Chief Bee Keeper at Burt's, I want to assure you and all of our other loyal consumers that we are going to remain true to our principles and will continue to strive to make the highest quality, safest, most natural products on the market. Though the ownership of Burt's is changing, the leadership, mission and values will not! We will continue to innovate not only in our product development, but also in our sustainable business practices. I know, however, that our actions will speak louder than words and my team and I will have our work cut out for us everyday to continue to earn your loyalty and your support. I look forward to continuing the dialogue.
Regards,
John (Bee Man)

Wow, a Burt's Bees rep! Welcome John (Bee Man).

Thanks for responding to these posts, whether it's corporate speak or not, it's a response and I'm appreciative knowing someone at Burts is checking in on these boards.

So on this board you'll find some great folks always willing to offer feedback on a vendor's product.

If you surf around you'll find many folks dissapointed with the performance with the Bay Rum soap and many folks missing the Bay Rum aftershave balm. (nudge, nudge, hint, hint, say no more, say no more).

Chris -
I appreciate your positive reviews as well as your concern for Burt's as we move to new owners. This will be our third owner in our brief 20 year history and as the Chief Bee Keeper at Burt's, I want to assure you and all of our other loyal consumers that we are going to remain true to our principles and will continue to strive to make the highest quality, safest, most natural products on the market. Though the ownership of Burt's is changing, the leadership, mission and values will not! We will continue to innovate not only in our product development, but also in our sustainable business practices. I know, however, that our actions will speak louder than words and my team and I will have our work cut out for us everyday to continue to earn your loyalty and your support. I look forward to continuing the dialogue.
Regards,
John (Bee Man)

John:

Thanks for your note - its great when a company rep takes the time to respond to a post like the one I made. That speaks positively about the way you and Burt's feel about treating customers and dealing with their concerns.

Just to be clear, I was not complimenting the soap - which smelled good but performed terribly (which is the general consensus). The Bay Rum line had a good scent and there are lots of folks who liked the cologne, AS and balm.

If Burt's ever wants to test a shaving product, you'll get lots of volunteers here - many members have tried a ton of producs, tested for other manufacturers and who will give you very blunt feedback.

Good luck with the merger.

Chris.

Welcome to the Bee Man! :badger:

I hope that you'll take time to participate in some of the forums here, vendor knowledge is always appreciated!

Top Bottom