What's new

Is Lynn Abrams still Honing for Hire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion

Staff member
You would have to come up with some kind of catch phrase for the losers of the contest. Like Survivors extinguishing their Tiki torches and the Weakest Links "You are the weakest link" etc.

"The people have spoken. You are not the sharpest knife in the draw."

Ohhh, I feel a reality TV show is in the making here. American honers, or something like that. Each week we follow the antics of some crazy eccentric razor honers as they bicker their way to the top. Who will be America's top honemiester?

And then they have a dance-off. Or sing songs like in Glee. I'm not going to produce the show unless there is some singing and dancing. We have to get the "tween" demographic.

Last edited:
i gotta admit that "you must now breadknife your edge" is pure genius........

and #66 golddollars are ~4.25 shipped....

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
agreed.... i am mailing slash a roll of electrical tape as i type this....

and i am sending seraphim a new set of chopsticks...

I have several rolls of electrical tape. I use it often. I use it for temporary whipping when I cut a piece of rope. I tape electrical wiring. I use it when splicing, especially double-braid. I use it for quickie clamps on small items to be glued. AND I will tape a razor's spine WHEN IT IS NEEDED, for whatever reason. When honing a full wedge, I always tape at some point, often at the finishing stage or the stage just prior to the finishing stage. I only tape the spine of a hollowground razor when the bevel angle seems to be too shallow, which is seldom. So save your postage, keep your tape.

Chopsticks?

Like an young Sean Connery. With a razor sharp chopstick. Impressive.

James Bond would have killed to have Q come up with a chopstick razor like that!

Attachments

• $lapping films.jpg
    $lapping films.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 235
...I think everyone should hone their own razors.

And use lapping film.

And shave with Gold Dollars.

And howl at the moon every once in a while.

Not to swell his head any more than it already is but Craig is correct.

If you hone your own blades they gain a consistency you can count on. I have received many different razors over the last year or so that have been honed by different people. Slightly different bevels, slightly different edge sharpness, but I prefer shaving with the "one or two" razors that I have honed. Not because my edges are better, but because they are what I expect from my razors. I can enjoy my shave and not worry that I am going to lop something off with a "vorpal" razor.

I still have one or 2 razors in my rotation that Craig honed... and I am VERY careful when I shave with them :biggrin1:

Last edited:
the deal is that these two Le Grelots 1/4 grind 6/8ths were found blanks and never to be available again straights. So i only want completely competent experts to deal with them. Also, one is slightly dinged (my fault - low blood sugar, screaming baby, cranky wife and I dinged it on the faucet ... grrr).

Now, once the Le grelots are done, I have no problem having a crack honing myself with my Dovo's ....

Ok, if the OP is still following the thread, I propose the following: he send one razor out to any volunteer (I'll be first, if he so desires, no pressure) maximum 4 razors (1/volunteer). We each hone to best of our abilities (not necessarily sharpest, but smooth, keen, etc) for free and we pay to send them back. He decides which edge he likes best. 1 rule: no one can use the same finisher, first to claim dibs gets it (I'll go CNAT to challenge myself, if he were to pick me).

In the end, we all get to have fun, and the OP gets 4 well-honed razors.

I guess the catch is that he may only have one razor...hmmm....And he would be trusting Le Grelots to strangers and the Shipping company. Maybe too risky for his taste. Oh well, might be fun.

Well heck... Gold Dollars are only $8 shipped.
No reason we can't make him a 7-day set... and he can send the one he has to Lynn and compare results.

I wouldn't even put a restriction on the finishing hone, simply because the edge quality is more the honer than the hone, and there aren't that many options.

My personal progression is DMT1000, Norton 4k/8k, Naniwa 12k, C-Nat, .05 CrOX, leather, face.

You use your _face_ as part of your honing?

Brave soul! :001_tongu

the deal is that these two Le Grelots 1/4 grind 6/8ths were found blanks and never to be available again straights. So i only want completely competent experts to deal with them. Also, one is slightly dinged (my fault - low blood sugar, screaming baby, cranky wife and I dinged it on the faucet ... grrr).

Now, once the Le grelots are done, I have no problem having a crack honing myself with my Dovo's ....

Meh... That's a lot of hype. Those razors are spectacular razors, but they're just razors... They're steel razors just like every other steel razor out there, and they are honed in exactly the same way as every other razor out there. "found blanks and never to be available again" = every single antique razor I have ever owned... Because none of those companies are in existence today making razors. Ok, some are rarer than others, but no one razor is intrinsically more delicate or "in need of special honing expertise" than any other.

I have a vintage Le Grelot, a vintage Thiers Issard, and two modern Thiers Issards - one of which was an "Old Blank". Great razors, but there's nothing about them that makes them need a special honemeister.

Seeking out Lynn is only because you want his edges because his edges work for you. I would send my blades to Paco, Kentos, TomJr, Hillbilly, Krodor, or O.G. with zero hesitation... They're all awesome honers. (not that others aren't, but these are the guy's who's edges I have sampled, and they're all great).

His razors, his choice and ya gotta respect that, of course. Street market of those beauties are enough that I'd hate to screw up his investment. Just me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom