What's new

Kamisori Object for a Dollar

Actually, 5 dollars. I have an open contract with a company in China to provide steel blanks. Decided to use one and make a 'dressier' Kamisori object. Handle innards are sealed with epoxy and material is black walnut.

$dollarkami3small.jpg

looks pretty cool, like a western Kami. But how does it shave?!

re: How does it shave?

Don't know. Will use it tomorrow. I just finished it and posted the picture. I have honed it and it has a very nice edge so I suspect it will work as desired.

Looks sweet. I really want a kami but it looks backwards to me the way they are ground. Just need a fixed blade wedge! Luckily I have Mr. Brian Brown on the case for me.

This is cool, how much did you grind off of the toe?

I brought the blade down to about 60 mm (large traditional Kami size). I took about 7/8 " off the blade. I actually just cut it off by putting the blade on a wet cloth and using the cutoff tool on a Dremel. Then dressed it with the sanding drums. Put the thumb hold and spine notches in with the sanding drums as well as doing the trimming of the stabilizer. Then polished it to a low polish with gray polishing compound on a 6" wheel. Didn't bother taking the Chinalloy stamp off - it is under the handle and hidden.

I probably picked the worst blade to modify - it was in great shape and would have made a good standard razor, too. It was almost sharp out of the box. It took about 10 minutes to get it shave ready after I had done the metal work.

Looks sweet. I really want a kami but it looks backwards to me the way they are ground. Just need a fixed blade wedge! Luckily I have Mr. Brian Brown on the case for me.

This one is symmetrical. I made one from a junker Joseph Rodgers blade (a bad buy on eBay) a while back and decided I like them. Because it is symmetrical, you can shave with either side. Of course, you could do so with a traditional Kamisori, too but the Kamisori police would get you. ;-} This one isn't a traditional grind... it is a Kamisori 'object'.

Last edited:
I have yet to use the dremel cutter on the blade like that but I'd like to try.
One more question if you don't mind..it looks like you put the top pin through your pivot hole and you said you sealed off the handle with epoxy. How did you do this? Does it feel pretty solid to you? Alright, two questions then:)

I have yet to use the dremel cutter on the blade like that but I'd like to try.
One more question if you don't mind..it looks like you put the top pin through your pivot hole and you said you sealed off the handle with epoxy. How did you do this? Does it feel pretty solid to you? Alright, two questions then:)

Butter the tang with the epoxy and, in this case, use the pivot hole as a registration point. Clamp the handles on and get it all aligned and let it set. Secure the front and back pins (I used a spacer in the back) and then fill it with epoxy. I used the injector tubes but it was still messy. The epoxy has a mind of its own initially. Use an acetone soaked rag to clean it up. Anticipating a freaking mess, I didn't completely finish the wood until it was all setup. I then painted the edges black and coated them with poly. You don't need to use the pins but I wanted to just for looks.

Here is one I did that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It just uses two pieces of flat bamboo (paint stirring sticks) that are shaped and then the whole thing was wrapped in waxed twine. No pins and no need for them. The blade was a knackered Joseph Rodgers that ended up being a great Kamisori object. Once the epoxy sets, it isn't going anywhere and it won't let in water and rust. If you weren't pure of heart and you had to take the handles off, all you do is cut the wood off with a box cutter and chip off the epoxy.

$JosephRodgersKamisori640.jpg

Last edited:
....are these for sale?

Nope. I'm just a razor hacker. I would hate to turn my hobby into a business and end up hating it. ;-} The reference to money in my post was the cost of materials to make the razor.

Having said that, as I refine the designs, I will probably put a few up for sale in B/S/T or the 'bay. Just not right now.

looks pretty cool, like a western Kami. But how does it shave?!

OK... shaved with it this morning. It was very close. Small blades like this - if they are not warped or fungled in some way - sharpen up quickly and are wickedly underestimated. I can always tell when I rinse my face whether the shave is going to be close. This time, my hands were feeling BBS on my cheeks and chin. Needed a couple of touchups on my neck and lip area but the razor did its thing like it was supposed to. No dulling - it held its edge throughout.

I finished it on .25 micron diamond but I might go back to CrO2 for a final lap or three. .25 micron makes a really evil edge on this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom