What's new

Review: MÜHLE 25mm Classic Silvertip Fibre shaving brush

$Muhle 25mm.jpg

The new generation of synthetic brushes has come a long way in the past few years. This latest addition to the MÜHLE line is a prime example. It will appeal to silvertip lovers, large-knot fans and head shavers. Synthetic brushes address animal-product issues for those who are concerned, and may one day surpass natural brushes in every dimension of performance. Is that day here? I have an open mind.

I saw characteristics in the XL Silvertip Fiber brush that are as good, and possibly even better than natural brushes. To me, it seems to use half as much soap/cream to quickly produce billowing heaps of lush lather. It is easier to clean, much faster drying, more hygienic and does not needs to be broken-in or de-skunked. It holds its shape and does not shed. It's darned good looking, too. It has am attractive and functional handle with substantial weight, good balance and that feels good to the touch. I find it difficult to tell it from natural hair silvertips in appearance and performance as well.

The lofts seemed higher than I expected, but that's because synthetic fibers are solid and have different characteristics than naturals. They need more loft to emulate the backbone and feel of fine badger.

I was pleased at the softness of the tips, its ability to hold water and the fast drying time. I think its price makes it a very good value, especially when compared to natural-hair silvertips in a similar knot size. MÜHLE has found a winning balance of knot size and loft.

It has a number of notable positive characteristics that are quickly apparent:

• Attractive design
• Soft tips
• Excellent Performance
• Very good density
• Good backbone
• Quick drying time
• Economical use of soaps and creams

The 25mm Classic Silvertip Fibre brush offers good value at $109 in the MÜHLE catalog. It offers true silvertip feel and performance at a fraction of the cost of a quality natural silvertip.

My full review can be found here.

$Muhle 25z.jpg $Muhle 25a.jpg $Muhle 25d.jpg $Muhle 25g.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, it really seems to be a nice brush, but I'm currently trying not to buy it... Trying to limit my SBAD case...

Jim, great review on the Muhle 35 K 252.

For additional clarification, I provided the photos that Jim has used after using the Muhle 35 K 252.

The hand topped with cream was taken after using a nickel size dab of C.O. Bigelow and making 3 full thick face passes and one full thick head shaving pass with no additional lather needed from the mug or additional water applied.

There was still the untouched lather in the mug and some left in the brush even after gently squeezing out the brush at the end of the shave.

This brush is extremely efficient on product. You need to remember to dial down the amount from what you are accustomed to using with natural brushes.

Last edited:
I appreciate the additional clarification on the lather, Gary, and thanks again for sharing your pictures. It was a stroke of good luck and fortune that we both chose the bone handle. :001_smile

Here is another of your pictures I wasn't able to include above:

$Muhle25b.jpg

Last edited:
It's darned good looking, too. It has am attractive and functional handle with substantial weight, good balance and that feels good to the touch.

Gj on the review!
Do you have any opinion on this handle versus the Kosmo?
IMO, the Kosmo looks better, but this handle looks like it might give a better grip.

Gj on the review!
Do you have any opinion on this handle versus the Kosmo?
IMO, the Kosmo looks better, but this handle looks like it might give a better grip.
The Kosmo is a beautiful brush, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I really like the
Classic handle, in part because the bottom ring lays in the groove between my palm and the base of my fingers, making a very secure grip.

$Muhle 25mm base.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, after looking at the rounded form of the Kosmo I'm sure even though it looks amazing, with every day use I will be much happier with the Classic, since functionality is more important then aesthetics to me.
It's the small differences that become big in the very long run.
But if it where a big difference in the very long run...
Will contact Muhle about the diameter of the 21 and 23 mm handles (to judge how well it would fit my razor & brush holder).
Keep at it Codfish, you're spreading great information about the Muhle synthetics here. No doubt this is the future.

Here is a photo of the Mühle Silvertip Fiber and Black Fiber individual strands. I think they are very natural looking, like real badger hairs, and show tapering and curling that isn't found in the synthetic fibers of other manufacturers. Photo credit goes to Teiste Brito.

$MUHLE STF copy.jpg

I've had the privilege of trying a Muhle Synthetic prototype brush lately (one of the new 25mm? I'm not entirely sure, I should go measure the knot). I've been meaning to post a review, but have been incredibly busy. I think it would echo much of what you've written here.

It is easily the best brush I have used. The efficiency of it is second to none, and the face feel is fantastic. Not much scritch for those who like that, but plenty of backbone for face lathering. Truly a fantastic brush. I'm thinking about slowly selling off all my natural brushes and replacing them with a full arsenal of Muhle Silvertip Fiber brushes.

I've had the privilege of trying a Muhle Synthetic prototype brush lately (one of the new 25mm? I'm not entirely sure, I should go measure the knot). I've been meaning to post a review, but have been incredibly busy. I think it would echo much of what you've written here.

It is easily the best brush I have used. The efficiency of it is second to none, and the face feel is fantastic. Not much scritch for those who like that, but plenty of backbone for face lathering. Truly a fantastic brush. I'm thinking about slowly selling off all my natural brushes and replacing them with a full arsenal of Muhle Silvertip Fiber brushes.
I'd be very interested in your take on the brush.

So how does this Silvertip fibre compare to the black fibre quality wise - I use both face and bowl lathering, but have a number of different badger brushes, each suited for either face lathering or bowl lathering.......

Thanks.

So how does this Silvertip fibre compare to the black fibre quality wise - I use both face and bowl lathering, but have a number of different badger brushes, each suited for either face lathering or bowl lathering.......Thanks.
This post addresses your question nicely.

Hi B&B: I just posted a formal review of the 25mm STF.

In summary, this is a good brush with some stellar qualities and some problems. It's a huge brush that really hogged the lather in my experience, especially with soft creams and hard soaps. There is also a bit of a learning curve related to the water retention qualities of the brush.

Where this brush excelled for me was with the soft soaps. For whatever reason, the 25mm STF really just blasts off into lathery orbit with the soft soaps. I have not tried any other brush yet that can match the performance of the 25mm STF with soft soaps.

Please see my formal review for more detail, and if anyone has any questions about my experience with the brush, or any specific qualities that I can elaborate on, please ask. Thank you!

Great review, Chris. My experience was a little different than yours, and I would have to say it's because I have never bowl lathered until a week ago. For over 40 years I've face lathered exclusively, either by applying soft creams directly to my face, picking up firmer creams (like Cella) with my brush and building lather on my face, or loading hard soaps in my mug and face lathering.

For those uses the 25mm was great. Reports I've heard from head shavers using creams are also very positive.

I also have had a learning curve attempting to bowl lather, and I'm still learning. I haven't yet made the heaps of lather you pictured in your posts on the 23mm. It works well, but the brush seems to suck up a lot of soap/cream that way. At least at this point in my bowl lathering experience. Gary Carrington, who has a lot more bowl experience than me, seemed to have little difficulty with it. See posts #1 and #4 above.

Last edited:
Great review, Chris. My experience was a little different than yours, and I would have to say it's because I have never bowl lathered until a week ago. For over 40 years I've face lathered exclusively, either by applying soft creams directly to my face, picking up firmer creams (like Cella) with my brush and building lather on my face, or loading hard soaps in my mug and face lathering.

For those uses the 25mm was great. Reports I've heard from head shavers using creams are also very positive.

Fascinating! The 25mm is such a huge brush I never even considered trying to face lather with it! I will have to give that a go at some point.

Codfish said:
I also have had a learning curve attempting to bowl lather, and I'm still learning. I haven't yet made the heaps of lather you pictured in your posts on the 23mm. It works well, but the brush seems to suck up a lot of soap/cream that way. At least at this point in my bowl lathering experience. Gary Carrington, who has a lot more bowl experience than me, seemed to have little difficulty with it. See posts #1 and #4 above.

In about half an hour or so I will be posting a 23mm vs 25mm bowl lather off to "scientifically" test my assumptions about the 25mm that I noted in my review. You may find that interesting.

I face lather with sticks and include the Silver tip fibre 23 mm in my rotation. It retains more than enough lather and has excellent backbone. I favor the 22-23mm brushes for face lathering.

In about half an hour or so I will be posting a 23mm vs 25mm bowl lather off to "scientifically" test my assumptions about the 25mm that I noted in my review. You may find that interesting.
This I can't wait to see!:ohmy::wink2:

Top Bottom