What's new

Breaking in boar

nuclear reactors oh man thats sweet LOL, i myself have a slip knot under my shave shelf to hang the brush for drying, back to my question.
for the moment let just forget i have 2 masters and 3 PhD,s in chemical engineering and quantum aero dynamics, propulsionary designs for deep space (ionic travel cores), does borax work and does it ruin the hairs

Last edited:
...does borax work and does it ruin the hairs

Since I add it to my clothes washer to soften my well water and boost the detergent, I gave it a try on my brushes once. No better, no worse than dish detergent. I still prefer using Dawn dish detergent, then a vinegar rinse as it's quicker and less of a mess than dealing with a 5lb box of Borax. Even with my well water I only give them a good cleaning 2-3 times a year. Using mostly soaps and rinsing them out good after shaving, I don't see a lot of buildup on my brushes. I did have to clean them more frequently when I used only creams.

I've used my brush only a few times and each time one or two hairs fell out. Is this normal in the first few uses of a new brush?

You can just use it, enjoy the evolution as the brush "breaks in". If it makes you feel better, give it a few cleaning lathers with any mild soap, shanpoo, or just your shave soap. I followed some advice here on a couple new brushes and just gave it 2-3 good shampoo/lathers and rinses and just went to work with it. It all works and it's all good!

What do you have and what condition is it in?

If its not an Omega or a Semogue, there's a chance that no matter what you do it may still suck pretty bad. If it is a cheap one with cut tips, throw it out and get a nice new one for $10-$20.

If it smells bad, shampoo it.

If its still a bit scratchy after a good warm water soak, then lather up your hand a few times with any soap (even cheap bath soap): lather, rinse, repeat, dry 48 hours, inspect the tips for splitting. You want your boar brush to have split ends so it will be a soft tipped, strong backboned, lather exploding machine.

If your brush is eating your lather, try some gentle plunging motions to get the lather out of the breach, or just use more product.

This boar brush stuff is getting entertaining. My Omega with the red handle stank, I used it and now it doesn't. Musta done something in error.

If it's a boar brush, make sure it dries out properly between uses, as that's when the ends split and it gets softer on the face.
+1 ... the dry part of the break-in cycle is the most important for a boar brush.

Let it soak in warm water for a short period, shake it and rub it on a towel to remove excess moisture, then just let it sit for at least 24 hours, better yet, 48 hours, before you repeat the cycle. I usually do about 3 weeks of wet/dry cycles, then a week of test-lathers letting it dry completely in between. After a month or so, it finally ready to put to your face.

But at this point, its STILL not broken in ... that will take continued use over the next several months ... it took my Semogue 1305 about 3 months of use before it was fully broken in, and now its as soft as can be.

Be patient with boar brushes .... they will reward your long wait with an amazing face-lathering tool.

Since I add it to my clothes washer to soften my well water and boost the detergent, I gave it a try on my brushes once. No better, no worse than dish detergent. I still prefer using Dawn dish detergent, then a vinegar rinse as it's quicker and less of a mess than dealing with a 5lb box of Borax. Even with my well water I only give them a good cleaning 2-3 times a year. Using mostly soaps and rinsing them out good after shaving, I don't see a lot of buildup on my brushes. I did have to clean them more frequently when I used only creams.
whats the vinegar for though,, i know our "opposites" use it so it must be good

Last edited:
My first reaction is people are way over thinking this.....till one sees the price of some of the brushes! Then you realize it's no different than a good tool in your shop.

All good advice as I just received my first boar today. Semouge 620. I expected it to be rough as a straw broom. Not so! Excited to use it.

whats the vinegar for though,, i know our "opposites" use it so it must be good

It will eliminate most odor and chemical residue from a new brush and help set any dye used in the manufacture of the brush. I also clean my Brushes with a Vinegar/Ware mix annually or when the lathering ability of my brush is diminished by remove soap/cream residue.

Semouge 620. I expected it to be rough as a straw broom. Not so! Excited to use it.

A lot of people think the same when they first encounter a boar brush, because that's what they feel like when they're dry - but when they've had a short soak, they're much softer.

It will eliminate most odor and chemical residue from a new brush and help set any dye used in the manufacture of the brush. I also clean my Brushes with a Vinegar/Ware mix annually or when the lathering ability of my brush is diminished by remove soap/cream residue.
ah , i see, the residual soap may cause less water retention, in the hairs as far as the odor, i like it

Last edited:
Top Bottom