What's new

Most Comfortable Dress Shoe?

Gentlemen:

I am looking for a new pair of dress shoes to last me for at least the next two years. I know everyone loves a pair of Allen Edmonds, and those expensive types, but I am just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

I’m going to be on my feet almost all day, and will be doing plenty of walking. These shoes will probably take a beating, especially on cobblestone streets, etc. So hopefully I can land a durable, comfy pair – while still retaining a certain level of class.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...B&B has never failed me before!

P.S. - I wear a size 13 US and either 47 or 48 Euro depending on the brand (if that matters).

I'm a 13 as well, and at least for me, Mephisto's are the most comfortable dress shoe. I've got quite a few pairs, and I am quite fond of them!

You got some good suggestions already (Mephisto and Allen Edmunds are great indeed), but the most comfortable dress shoes would be good custom-made ones, of course.

In any case, you should probably expect quite a bit more than 2 years out of a good pair of shoes. If you get some that can be completely recrafted if necessary (like most of the Allen Edmunds and Alden shoes), they should last you 20+ years, so you will save quite a bundle in the long run. If you are on your feet all day long, you'll need at least three pairs that you can rotate.

Buying Allen Edmunds shoes from their eBay store is great, PROVIDED you know that what you choose is going to fit. I just bought some "Traveler" shoes in my normal size, only to find out that the bed and insole make the shoe quite a bit smaller. So beware.

Best - MM

Yes, try before you buy is a must, since different models come on different lasts and fit can vary substantially. My most comfortable dress show is from Johnston & Murphy (Limited). I bought them used, and the only reason they won me over is the substantial arch support. I wore these to Europe and spent some long days walking in these, and they were never a problem. After that I have a pair of Ferragamos (also bought used) that fit like a glove.

They are both leather-soled, so if that's a priority then those are decent options, along with AE and Alden. If leather-soled isn't a priority then you've certainly got other options, but these are my go-to-shoes. And, even used, they're held up longer than two years.

Oh, and if you go for leather-soled shoes, be sure you have shoe trees. Shoe trees will keep your shoes looking great for a long, long time. I don't think they're quite a priority for rubber soled shoes.

I have two pair of Bostonian leather dress shoes. Wore them daily when I was teaching - standing most of the time on a terrazza type of tile floor. Found them to be quite comfortable. The leather sole was a bit slippery at first but not a problem when worn in, even better when half-soled with a rubber sole.

Regards

The most comfortable I've owned are ECCO's. I used to have a lot of heal pain from walking around the office and data center but since I've bought the ECCO's I've had no pain and no problems walking however much I want. I have very flat feet so take that as part of YMMV. :wink:

Well, now, hold one a minute. There are some great suggestions here, but I'm not sure the more pricey ones are really appropriate, depending on what you are doing. I mean, if you are literally walking all day, on hard, outdoor surfaces, like cobblestones they are bound to take a bit of a beating. I wouldn't spend my money on remotely expensive shoes that I was going to do that too.

Also, for that much walking, while the really good brands may generally be super comfortable, in my experience leather soles plus walking on concrete more than a mile or so = very sore feet, no matter how they fit. Just not enough cushioning.

So I would think about things like the Rockports. For just general kicking around business shoes, I often wear rubber soled Bostonians. They are super comfy, look totally presentable, and I buy them for $30 (they retail about $125) at Marshalls or the like. Now, I would not wear them to court, or with a suit in general, for that matter.

-Mo

Also, for that much walking, while the really good brands may generally be super comfortable, in my experience leather soles plus walking on concrete more than a mile or so = very sore feet, no matter how they fit. Just not enough cushioning.

That is absolutely true. However, Allen Edmunds has several designs in their lineup that feature combination (leather/rubber) or plain rubber soles that provide some decent cushioning. Also, one can have thin rubber soles put on top of leather soles. Finally, getting good, comfy insoles and taking them along when purchasing shoes (to get the size right) is another way of ensuring great comfort.

Best - MM

I have had hundreds of pairs of dress shoes...

I have found out over the years..that you get what you pay for...I like AE and JM...

and some other brands..

The thing is.....If you spend 50 bucks on a pair of shoes..that is what you get

I have a couple of pairs of AE's that ...I have had for years and still look great..

My suggestion ...try some on and go from there..

I've always liked shoes from Aldo, they aren't the most high end, but they have always been very comfortable and held up well, additionally they are cost effective.

The real question...what's a dress shoe, for you? Levels of "dressiness" vary, according to the conventions of your profession, company culture, and personal style. A dress shoe for an attorney may be different from a dress shoe for an architect or a law enforcement professional. A shoe that looks great in New York may seem wrong in Dubuque.

Realistically, no truly dressy shoe will be comfortable, long-term for extended walking, on any surface. That said, Mephisto, ECCO, Romika and others make very walkable, dress (ish) shoes. ECCOs work very well for my wide, flat feet. Mush as I'd enjoy them, I can't afford high-end dress shoes--I've been well served by Bostonians and (yes!) Florsheims. YMMV

Top Bottom