Thread: Infusions

Default Infusions

I've dabbled in making my own alcoholic infusions over the years. Pretty basic, add some stuff to a neutral alcohol (vodka is probably most common) & let the added 'stuff' infuse its flavor to the liquid.

I've made Limoncello & some sort of damson plum one a long time ago. My most recent (& current fave) is tea - put some quality loose leaf tea in some vodka (I typically use Costco brand) & let it set for an hour or so. Strain out & you have a tea flavored drink. Mix w/ some simple syrup & either mint or lemon & you have an ice-tini.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
    Chronic faceturbator.

Sloe gin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe_gin

Lovely stuff!

Gareth
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86).

Quote Originally Posted by galopede View Post
    Sloe gin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe_gin

Lovely stuff!

Gareth
    Very similar to the damson plum infusion I mentioned in OP. I'm going to have to look in to getting some of these sloe berries...
    Chronic faceturbator.

Images

We've done a variety of vodka infusions. The high point being bacon in my opinion. For me they don't seem to last though. After a couple weeks the flavors fade.
    "Find out what it is in life you donít do well, and then donít do that thing.Ē - Most Interesting Man in the World

- Kevin

Images

I tried a number of options a year or two ago. I found that the fruit ones I made weren't really worth the wait, and some of my more exotic ideas didn't work well (ginger, coriander, etc.). The only ones I thought worthy of further study were A) Basil and B) Genmaicha & Sesame. Actually, I guess the Rooibos one was kind of good, too.

Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by barrycv View Post
    Very similar to the damson plum infusion I mentioned in OP. I'm going to have to look in to getting some of these sloe berries...
    It is similar but the sloe/blackthorn is small, hard and sharp which gives a very tasty liqueur. I've made the damson before and it it bland next to the sloe!

Gareth
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86).

There's an Indian restaurant we go to that has infused vodka that I've copied a few times and it turns out great. Fill an infuser jar with Dried mango, crystallized ginger, and dried Thai chilies. pour in as much vodka as will fit. Let it sit for a day or two. I usually just mix it with a splash of Topo Chico or any type of soda water. When it gets down to half full fill it back up. I've replenished it with vodka four times before the flavor started to fade.
    If you have the time, usually a couple of months, there are a few liqueurs I've made on this site http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/flavors.htm that turned out really well. Definitely worth the wait. My favorites were the blackberry and the pomegranate liqueurs.
    -Kevin

Anyone make Jalepeno infused vodka?
    Mike - - Hookem

Images

Bacon infused bourbon. Really.
    Henry

My Kit

henry (@) badgerandblade.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    Bacon infused bourbon. Really.
    It is excellent. Definitely worth the effort.
    "Find out what it is in life you donít do well, and then donít do that thing.Ē - Most Interesting Man in the World

- Kevin

You may find this interesting:
    http://www.infusionsofgrandeur.net/

The pictures are no longer there, but they tried everything you could think of. Nutmeg, clove, habanero, etc...

All the text is still there. And it's fairly comprehensive for being a casual 'for fun' kind of thing.
    Ethan