Thread: New Luckyscent Sampler - Oud

Default New Luckyscent Sampler - Oud

I'm tempted by the new Oud sampler being offered by luckyscent. There are a total of 12 different frags for $65. Do I look at this sampler as a "Gateway" to real Oud or should I just bite the bullet and start sampling Oud from Oriescent and others?
    David

I have sampled a few real Oud's now and my gut reaction was to pull the trigger. However, once I started reading the notes on some of them I realized they didn't all list Oud. This research along with some of the more experienced guys voices in the back of my mind mentioning that they have never (or almost never?) smelled real oud in any perfumes made me put on the brakes.

My plan now is to seek out some reviews on these and if not I will probably only bite the bullet on those samples that specifically list Oud in the notes or sound like they might be interesting with or without oud.
    Garry's Sample Shop - Shaving Samples Galore!

Appears to be sold out already!

Wow! That was fast. I guess I'll just have to sample the real thing.
    David

Now, wait a minute, there are some really good "oud" frags that use synthetic or otherwise westernized versions of oud. Two immediately come to mind: Roja Dove Aoud and Le Labo Oud 27. I'm a fan of both of these, especially the Le Labo, which, yes, smells synthetic, but also smells amazing. The bottom line is to know what you are getting and even more importantly what you are expecting. Don't expect them to smell like real oud oils but they might still be able to knock your socks off.

Images

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I'm a bit of a purist, so I tend to knock the "oud" blends that don't use real oud. But like Chris says, just because it's not real oud doesn't necessarily mean the fragrance won't smell good!
    Evan

Images

I saw that this morning and almost bought it.
    im glad I didn't because Im still working my way through the other one I just bought.

My general philosophy regarding oud (having never smelled real oud) is: I may not know oud, but I know what I like.

Just wanted to clarify that I only responded the way I did to the OP because he was wondering if this Luckyscent sampler would be a good "gateway" to real oud. Having just started smelling real oud oils and also having smelled quite a few "western" perfumes with synthetic oud the answer is that this probably would not be a good "gateway" especially since some of the samples very blatantly do not have any oud in them, real or synthetic, according to the listed notes. It's kind of hard to get a feel for what oud smells like if there isn't any real or fake oud in what you are smelling.

None of this was meant to say that all of those sample are going to smell horrible or fake which is why I also mentioned that I will only order samples of ones that actually list oud in the notes (because that is what I'm personally looking for) or ones that sound interesting to me regardless of whether they contain oud or not.

After looking at the notes and reading some reviews I ended up ordering samples of Xerjoff Al Khatt, Xerjoff Mamluk, Xerjoff Gao, Xerjoff Zafar, Histoires de Parfums Edition Rare Petroleum and M. Micallef Emir for a Grand Total including tax and shipping of $48.59. I ended up only going with those scents that supposedly contain Oud and I am looking forward to giving them all a try!

I almost pulled the trigger on it but didn't. I still want to try some of them and will probably cherry pick like Garry did.

As mentioned, the bottom line is 'does it smell good to me or not'? The notes are interesting, fun to know and read about, but really irrevelant if I like the smell... err.. or don't like it. Though I will say that the notes are very informative to know, especially if a scent has a strong note of something I don't care for. It's a good thing there's not much I don't care for!

Images

There are pure oud oils, fragrances with oud in the blend, and fragrances with man-made, or synthetic ingredients that smell oud-like. I'm not an oud expert, or even very familiar with the pure oud oils although I have sampled a few thanks to our generous members. The pure oud oils also have among them those that are great (and relatively expensive) and those that are relatively inexpensive and not nearly the same as the expensive ones. I really like M7, created by Tom Ford for YSL, and it was reportedly the first fragrance to use synthetic oud. I realize it's not real oud, but I do like the smell. Bottom line is, there are a lot of ways and a lot of different price points at which you can enjoy the scent of oud. I would just encourage you to not try an inexpensive oud oil and make that your only basis of opinion as to whether or not you like the scent of oud. And if you like the scent of inexpensive oud oils, so much the better, for your bank account!

I'm 3 samples into the collection and enjoying myself so far!

Here are some initial impressions:

Xerjoff Oud Stars Gao - VERY NICE - I would be very surprised to learn if this didn't contain at least some real oud. So far I find it similar in overall impression to Agar Aura's Borneo Symphony. Among other notes the Xerjoff Gao is supposed to contain oud from Laos, India and Borneo while Borneo Symphony is strictly a dark woody resinous Borneo oud oil. I get the saffron notes from Gao as well and look forward to doing a side by side with Borneo Symphony soon.

Xerjoff Oud Stars Mamluk - Interesting - Caramel, honey, sweet gourmand, interesting florals are my initial notes. It's very interesting overall and the ingredients are obviously of very high quality but this is not the type of scent I gravitate towards. I think of Le Male or A*Men with the overall sweetness dialed down to 4 and the complexity dialed up to 8. I haven't smelled any real Indian Oud yet so I have no basis for comparison but it's been 4 hours since application and I don't really smell anything oud like or woody at all yet. I will say that the scent is still very potent at the 4 hour mark so I would not be surprised if it hasn't fully dried down yet. I'm going to give this one another try sometime soon to see if I can sniff out the oud, it's interesting enough to deserve another wearing just for educational purposes. I'll also update if there are any more notable changes during the dry down tonight but it's getting late and I may sleep through them.

Histoires de Parfums Edition Rare Petroleum - Boring - Coco, powdery amber and subtle rose. If there is any oud in this at all it must be of such high quality or such tiny amount that it is invisible to the senses of the common man! I actually wouldn't mind smelling this on a women to tell you the truth, quite a feminine scent. Bergamot, Leather and Patchouli are all supposedly hiding in here as well and I smell none of them. In fact after 4 hours the scent is barely there with my nose buried in my arm.

I hope to test 2 more tomorrow and will post my thoughts.
    Last edited by gaj90027; 05-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reviews, Garry!

I was able to sample everything else in my recent bunch of "oud" samples from Lucky Scent (see my list above) but I don't think I was in the right state of mind to judge and rate them fairly so I will try them each again at a later time. My initial impression of everything else was not good at all but hopefully that will change on second wearing.

I did however have a chance to do a side by side comparison with Xerjoff Oud Stars Gao and Agar Aura's Borneo Symphony last night and it was quite a nice time. I'm almost 99% convinced that Gao either has real oud or an amazing synthetic version and it held it's own against Borneo Symphony to my nose without flinching. The opening of both was almost identical, very dry, slightly bitter medicinal wood with the Borneo smelling just a little bit richer from being an oil (my guess) and the Gao smelling a bit more intense from the alcohol (my guess). To my nose they both stayed pretty linear with the Borneo becoming a little softer, sweeter and warmer and the Gao remaining intense in sillage but the scent becoming a little warmer from the Saffron maybe. Fast forward to 4 hours later, time for bed and the Borneo is barely there, the Gao on the other hand is still very noticeable. Fast forward to right now at my desk 15 hours or so after application and the Borneo is completely gone but the Gao is still noticeable with my nose pressed to my arm where I sprayed it.

The particular Oud scent coming from both of these is not one of my favorites but I still appreciate it. If you enjoy Agar Aura's Borneo Symphony and want to try another oud based scent with a similar profile I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a sample of Xerjoff Gao.

I should also add that the first time I tried Gao it was using the dip stick from the lucky scent sample vial. For this second wearing and side by side comparison I put the Gao in an atomizer and used one spray on the inside of my forearm.
    Last edited by gaj90027; 05-18-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Gave Xerjoff Oud Stars Zafar another wearing this evening, this time from an atomizer but it didn't make much difference compared to the wearing last week just using the wand from the vial. Once again though I am 99% convinced there is actual Oud in this one but it's blended in with so many other notes that I was only really able to detect it's beautiful pungent presence for the first half hour or so. The oud in this is supposedly aged for 15 years, not sure any of the pure oud's I've tried from Agar Aura are aged this long but I will say the oud used in Zafar is VERY smooth which I imagine could/would happen after over a decade of aging. I also detect incense and cedar which are really nice with the oud but I don't pick up any of the mentioned vetiver which I was really looking forward to. Overall though I found the entire scent a little too smooth and a little too subtle for my taste. If I wanted an oud based perfume that I wouldn't be self conscious wearing in public this would be it.

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of these Xerjoff perfumes and plan to sample their other lines as well once I'm done with the Oud Stars samples.

Had my second wearing of Xerjoff Oud Stars Al Khatt this evening and so far this is the most disappointing of the bunch. Sweet vanilla and musk, feminine to my nose and nothing wood like or oud like detected at all.

I'm looking forward to trying Mamluk again hopefully this week as something in the latter part of the dry down brought Creed Windsor to mind. I can't wait to investigate again to see if I was dreaming.